Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I've had my Apple Pencil for about a month now and I haven't once used the adapter. When I need to charge the Pencil I just stick it in the lightening port and rest the cap on the iPad's bezel where the magnets hold it in place. I know a lot of tech sites made fun of that charging solution but for me it's been incredibly convenient and the adapter is sitting in the box along with the spare pencil tip.

I agree. Never used it and it's still in the box. It charges so quickly and lasts a pretty long time, I've found just plugging it into the iPad the most convenient option. Takes no more than 15 minutes.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I've had my Apple Pencil for about a month now and I haven't once used the adapter. When I need to charge the Pencil I just stick it in the lightening port and rest the cap on the iPad's bezel where the magnets hold it in place. I know a lot of tech sites made fun of that charging solution but for me it's been incredibly convenient and the adapter is sitting in the box along with the spare pencil tip.

I use both all the time. When I need to quickly charge the Pencil while I'm outside, I just put it in the iPad and wait for 10 minutes and it is fully charged. But when I'm home, I usually just stick it in the adapter - I have it constantly attached to the lightning cable attached to my iMac so I don't loose it (the adapter, not the iMac :D )

Mine didn't! The box was small enough to hold only the pencil. If there was an adapter tucked in a hidden compartment, it's already at the city dump :(

Sadly, it is, as well as the extra nib. They are both tucked in the cover box. Quite nice packaging, actually, I'm sorry you missed it.

The moral of this story is - never throw away that beautiful Apple packaging (seriously, I kept every Apple box I got, they are just that nice).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PattyMc

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
So sorry you threw away your adapter and extra tip, I too ALWAYS keep my Apple boxes...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
dorkiness and convenience are not mutually exclusive. Very un-Apple like though.
I showed off my iPP and Pencil to many people over the holidays and when I told them they could charge the Pencil by just plugging it into the iPP not one made a weird face or said it was dumb or looked dorky. The only comments I got were cool or neat. Of course the people I showed it to aren't techies and don't frequent sites like The Verge or Gizmodo.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I showed off my iPP and Pencil to many people over the holidays and when I told them they could charge the Pencil by just plugging it into the iPP not one made a weird face or said it was dumb or looked dorky. The only comments I got were cool or neat. Of course the people I showed it to aren't techies and don't frequent sites like The Verge or Gizmodo.
You seem to be wandering all over on this subject.

You said...
Thats my point. It's so easy to plug right into the iPad. It might look kind of dorky and Gizmodo might make fun of it but it really is convenient.

You yourself said that it is "kind of dorky" which I'm not disagreeing with you, but when I make reference to dorkiness, you go into Apple-defense mode and point to your many friends who that it was cool or neat. What are we to make of that? :confused:

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
When I first got the pencil, I primarily used the adapter to charge it, although I found that kind of annoying, since I kept the adapter in the Pencil box so I wouldn't lose it, which meant I had to frequently retrieve it from there.

I also found that the Pencil charged rather slowly while connected to the adapter. Since then I've been plugging it straight into the iPad, and find that it charges very fast--it takes about 10 to 15 minutes for a full charge, and it only seems to deplete around 1% or so of the iPad's battery.

Reactions: macaximx

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
i use my adapter every day. i run the pencil and ipad out of charge almost every day. hopefully the next pencil does not have a battery. its annoying to charge two devices. luckily the pencil charges pretty fast, but its annoying to run out of battery and have to stop to plug it in.

bluermlou

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Charges nice and fast plugging directly into the iPad, so I just do that. Haven't touched my adapter yet.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm 50/50. I'll charge it with a cable when I plug in the iPad overnight to charge. But if it needs a boost at work, I'll pop it in to the iPad.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Dedicated cable with adapter.
Don't want long item sticking out of iPad where connector could easily get bent.
Pencil to expensive to have connector break by accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.