Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week debuted the Apple Pencil Pro, marking the first major revision to the Apple Pencil lineup since the 2018 launch of the Apple Pencil 2. There are some major changes that were introduced with the new accessory, including new gestures and capabilities.

Apple-Pencil-Pro-Newsroom.jpg

Squeeze

The squeeze gesture allows the Apple Pencil Pro to sense when pressure is applied to the sides of the device. Using squeeze brings up a palette so that you can do things like switch tools, line weights, and colors.

Developers can customize how apps react to the squeeze gesture so it can bring up custom controls in each app.

Barrel Roll

There is a gyroscope in the Apple Pencil Pro that allows the rotation of the barrel to change the orientation of certain tools. It basically offers much more precise control of shaped pen and brush tools, similar to how a real pen or brush would function when you tilt it while drawing or sketching.

Haptic Feedback

A built-in haptic engine offers haptic feedback when using the Apple Pencil Pro's gestures. A light haptic pulse will respond when using a squeeze or double-tap gesture, plus there is feedback when using the snap to a Smart Shape feature.

Find My

Find My is available for the Apple Pencil Pro so it can be tracked right alongside the iPad and other devices in the Find My app.

Charging and Pairing

The Apple Pencil Pro attaches to the side of the iPad Pro or the iPad Air, and the magnetic connection enables automatic pairing and charging. There is a new magnetic interface that is available on the 2024 iPad Pro models.

Existing Features

Current Apple Pencil features like Apple Pencil hover and double tap are supported. Hover lets you preview where the Apple Pencil will touch down on the display before a mark is made, while double tap can be used for swapping between tools.

Low latency, tilt sensitivity, and pressure sensitivity are all included features.

Compatibility

The Apple Pencil Pro is compatible with the M2 iPad Air models and the M4 iPad Pro models, so it only works with the May 2024 iPads.

Price

The Apple Pencil Pro is priced at $129, which is also the cost of the Apple Pencil 2.

Article Link: Apple Pencil Pro: All the New Features

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
When they showed this off and with that curved menu that popped up on the screen, it reminded me off the dial wheel Microsoft showed on on the Surface Studio, really impressive clever UI idea.

Apart from the stupid name, it is a pretty good update to the Apple Pencil.

unashamedgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
I'm reading the pencil is wider than the iPad Pro. I'm interested in how well the pencil stays connected when you lay the iPad down. I wish Apple's smart folio had something to help hold the pencil on. I prefer that style of case. I have an ESR model for my current iPad Pro and it has a flap to hold the pencil, but I do not feel the case is as nice as Apple's, mainly because it has lip all around the iPad and it is not the same size lip. Just isn't a perfect fit.

Reactions: V.K.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Interesting with the pricing. Considering most if not all the features are Pro usage only. I would have thought this to be $149 or even $199.

If the Pencil Pro is $129, I would have valued the non-pro version at best $69.

Reactions: !!!

jkmoses

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2013
Mapleton, Utah
Interesting with the pricing. Considering most if not all the features are Pro usage only. I would have thought this to be $149 or even $199.

If the Pencil Pro is $129, I would have valued the non-pro version at best $69.
I was expecting something more expensive as well but I think there are a few factors in pricing. They probably know how much people are willing to pay for something like this and can't go beyond that. Also as time goes on some of this tech gets cheaper to manufacture. The new iPads for instance have bumped up the base storage and the price didn't change on the Air models. Probably just price point decisions.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Looking ahead, now that it has a Taptic Engine, the new Pencil Pro opens up some really interesting capabilities:

1. Surface simulation. Writing on glass is one of only a few downsides of a digital Pencil, but one that can be overcome by the Taptic Engine simulating a rough surface of paper or brush strokes on a canvas.

2. visionOS support. Drawing in air or tapping items in Spatial computing with the Pencil Pro could produce a satisfying click, like the Magic Trackpad does so convincingly.

The Touch Pad on MacBooks and the Magic Touch Pad do a convincing job of simulating a real click. The Taptic Engine has the kind of precision at varying degrees of intensity and even direction to enable this.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Squeeze and roll.

Sounds kinda silly but I might actually use these. Then again, as the above poster mentions, it's all ergonomics, and fatigue can be an issue.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I'm reading the pencil is wider than the iPad Pro. I'm interested in how well the pencil stays connected when you lay the iPad down.
It’s designed to fit, taking the camera bump into account. The Pencil Pro is 8.9 mm in diameter, minus the 5.1 mm of the 13” is 1.9 mm on each side, while the camera bump is 2.2 mm (at least it was on all previous models).

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Find My is such a welcome addition. I’ve misplaced mine soooo many times.
I always fear losing it while traveling. I often slide the iPad with the Pencil magnetically attached into a travel backpack that I usually bring. There were a couple close calls, but I noticed and didn't lose it.

I never understood why the magnetic Apple Pencil 2 didn't support this in a similar fashion to the MagSafe wallet. It would be easy to track where it was last seen based on the location of the paired iPad when it was either detached or where the iPad was last located when it had a Bluetooth connection to the Pencil.

But why do that with existing hardware when we can sell somebody a new $129 Apple Pencil Pro and a $999+ M4 iPad Pro because we made the new Pencil hardware-incompatible with every older model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.