Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Bath got 3 pencils and 3 keyboards in. Nabbed a pencil for myself just now, so there might still be 2 left.

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
Much appreciated, you're first in line regardless of any offers I might get. I don't want to break any forum rules (assuming I haven't done so already) so will PM you when I know when my order will be here.

Doors locked, dogs on alert and alarm armed. Thanks for the tip! :D

Well, I had some luck today :cool:. Just nabbed the last pencil myself today in the Glasgow store...

Thanks again for the kind offer.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Went to Covent Garden today to buy a Smart Cover, I asked for the pencil and a very nice employee told me they received 3 this morning but all gone in a few minutes. She said also that they are often receiving new pencils, but no more than 3/4 per day, so if someone is desperate can try to go there at 10am and hope to be lucky...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Went to Covent Garden today to buy a Smart Cover, I asked for the pencil and a very nice employee told me they received 3 this morning but all gone in a few minutes. She said also that they are often receiving new pencils, but no more than 3/4 per day, so if someone is desperate can try to go there at 10am and hope to be lucky...
Different to what I heard. I was told they haven't received any since launch day. I've been checking every day at 10-11am.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Different to what I heard. I was told they haven't received any since launch day. I've been checking every day at 10-11am.

I'm being told different stories by different employees... some saying they haven't had any and some saying they've been getting very little.

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
This is rather annoying though. I hope it doesn't last for the rest of the year. I don't want to keep walking into the Covent Garden store to keep asking. Would be wonderful to find one just by popping in, but that would be too easy of course :)

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
This is rather annoying though. I hope it doesn't last for the rest of the year. I don't want to keep walking into the Covent Garden store to keep asking. Would be wonderful to find one just by popping in, but that would be too easy of course :)
I made a whole thread on the issue, and most people agreed with me, that they should just hold their shipments for the day, and open a reservations page at 6am like they do when iPhones are constrained.

No reason why they can't do that.

And fundamentally fair: the most dedicated/desperate/sad rather than the most lucky gets theirs first! :p

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
Mine was meant to be delivered today. I got a text from DPD this morning that it would be delivered. I responded by selecting leave with a neighbour. Got a message just now saying we tried to deliver but you were not in. I phoned them up and asked why they did not leave it with a neighbour? I was informed they can't use this option with Apple products, so they can try and deliver another day or i have to pick up (20 miles away). Arghhhhhhhh

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Mine was meant to be delivered today. I got a text from DPD this morning that it would be delivered. I responded by selecting leave with a neighbour. Got a message just now saying we tried to deliver but you were not in. I phoned them up and asked why they did not leave it with a neighbour? I was informed they can't use this option with Apple products, so they can try and deliver another day or i have to pick up (20 miles away). Arghhhhhhhh
They did the exact same thing to me.

I rang Apple and the "can't deliver to neighbour" thing is BS, only applies to Macs and higher value things. iPads and accessories can be left with a neighbour and it was just DPD who were incompetent.

Reactions: munishp

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Well, I had some luck today :cool:. Just nabbed the last pencil myself today in the Glasgow store...

Thanks again for the kind offer.

That's great news, glad you got fixed up. My online order just arrived (Pencil and Smart Keyboard) and I have another not-for-profit customer for the pencil lined up in reserve so all good.

Enjoy!

Reactions: munishp

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
My 11/11 11:30am UK order is still Processing... Anyway, I decided that a second pencil might be a good idea (keep one at work and one at home and also in case I lost one). So I have just placed an order and it looks like I will be lucky to get the second pencil by Christmas:
pencil-dec.jpg

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
My 11/11 11:30am UK order is still Processing... Anyway, I decided that a second pencil might be a good idea (keep one at work and one at home and also in case I lost one). So I have just placed an order and it looks like I will be lucky to get the second pencil by Christmas: View attachment 601244
Slipping past Christmas is sort of a watershed moment. It will be interesting to see if these ship earlier than expected.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Was in Cribbs mall this afternoon and called into the Apple Store as usual with little hope of them
having any in stock. Nearly fell over when she checked and said yes they had both the pencil and
keyboard available. Happy Bunny! Apple orders cancelled.
Now trying to work out how the keyboard folds.......

Reactions: azing

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Was in Cribbs mall this afternoon and called into the Apple Store as usual with little hope of them
having any in stock. Nearly fell over when she checked and said yes they had both the pencil and
keyboard available. Happy Bunny! Apple orders cancelled.
Now trying to work out how the keyboard folds.......
Wow! A Pencil and keyboard at the same time? Extremely lucky. Still looking for a keyboard to no avail.

Do let us know what you think of it!

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
so the dpd guys sent me a text saying they could not deliver due to no one being home and then two hours later i get another text saying they had delivered at a neighbours house. The bit i do not get, is why do they add a pic of your house and the delivery house in the update? random and messed up. So i now have a apple keyboard and a pencil and writing this on the actual keyboard. Very clicky in a loud way and will keep trying it out. Let me know if you want me to check or test anything for the community.

Reactions: Brookzy

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
So although Apple charged £79 to my AMEX at about 5am this morning, my Pencil order is still Processing...

Do Apple (Synchreon?) process orders for dispatch over the weekend? i.e. could it dispatch Sunday for delivery Monday? If not I guess it will be Tuesday 24th, still within the 19-26th delivery window, but previous Apple orders have generally arrived at the beginning and not the end of the window.

munishp

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Cloud
So although Apple charged £79 to my AMEX at about 5am this morning, my Pencil order is still Processing...

Do Apple (Synchreon?) process orders for dispatch over the weekend? i.e. could it dispatch Sunday for delivery Monday? If not I guess it will be Tuesday 24th, still within the 19-26th delivery window, but previous Apple orders have generally arrived at the beginning and not the end of the window.
You will probably get notification on Monday that it has been dispatched and get it on Monday too

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
None at Metrocentre or Eldon Square Newcastle FYI. Being told to use the online pick-up system. I think they're unaware it doesn't seem to be working for the pencil or keyboard.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
None at Trafford centre today. As they only get a handful in at a time - I doubt pickup will work, as normally they can only guarantee where more than 10 of an item in stock.

siriami

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
Getting a bit peeved here - I ordered the iPad pro and Pencil online from the Apple Store as soon as I could on launch day - got the iPad last week, but Pencil is still stuck at "processing". I feel that online orders should have been honoured before sending stock to stores - I would check my local Apple store in Edinburgh, but that's an hour bus journey from me. Dying to try out the Pencil...........

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Getting a bit peeved here - I ordered the iPad pro and Pencil online from the Apple Store as soon as I could on launch day - got the iPad last week, but Pencil is still stuck at "processing". I feel that online orders should have been honoured before sending stock to stores - I would check my local Apple store in Edinburgh, but that's an hour bus journey from me. Dying to try out the Pencil...........
That sucks.

The problem is Apple's argument will always be that you were quoted a delivery time, you agreed to it by paying, and they will deliver in that time.

They do this all the time. For example, the MacBooks that launched earlier this year. I ordered as soon as the store went live, yet Apple Stores received plentiful stock days before mine arrived.

The idea I suppose is that by feeding stock into stores you increase impulse buys, but really that only works when supply isn't constrained. The situation right now is benefiting scalpers and no one else.

Jim4D

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
I checked Covent Garden, regent street and selfridges today. Nada, they just pointed me online. They didn't really want to say if they were even getting minor stock deliveries.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I checked Covent Garden, regent street and selfridges today. Nada, they just pointed me online. They didn't really want to say if they were even getting minor stock deliveries.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of this secrecy. Some employees just say they haven't got any and then don't share any more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.