Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of this secrecy. Some employees just say they haven't got any and then don't share any more info.
I've asked at least a dozen different employees by now and got a different answer from every one.

Some think they've never had stock (simply incorrect), others think they get a few a day, others say they haven't received any since launch day, and one was even patronising enough to say they do get stock most mornings but "you probably won't get one so I wouldn't bother trying." Great.

Getting them to actually check is a pain. There was one extremely blaze employee in Covent Garden last week. The store was totally empty. It was 10:30am. There was nothing going on and he was doing nothing:

"Do you have any Smart Keyboards or Pencils in stock?"
"Nah"
"How do you know?"
"We've just had a meeting."
"Oh, you have meetings about stock?"
"Well, no..."
"Right. Could you actually check then?"

He walks off (and no doubt just stood around the corner) and came back 30 seconds later to say "no".

You expect these kind of losers in Argos, not Apple. I would understand if he was busy and it was the end of the shift and the millionth time someone had asked, but he had been working no more than half an hour and was standing doing nothing.

Reactions: munishp and azing

scaramanger

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
Honestly I admire the dedication shown here but are you guys not a bit concerned its bordering on obsession?! Don't get me wrong i'd love to get my pencil/keyboard today but it is what it is and i'll have to wait till December, certainly not going to obsessively visit stores over and over, life is too short for that!

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Honestly I admire the dedication shown here but are you guys not a bit concerned its bordering on obsession?! Don't get me wrong i'd love to get my pencil/keyboard today but it is what it is and i'll have to wait till December, certainly not going to obsessively visit stores over and over, life is too short for that!

I see you are quite new to MacRumors... ;)

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I'm in the process of making a script to check stock etc, if anyone has any html/php knowledge PM me and we can work on this

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I'm in the process of making a script to check stock etc, if anyone has any html/php knowledge PM me and we can work on this
No skills but very interested if you get this working. aNy type of alert / notifications would be the cherry on top !

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Would be amazing if you got it working but I'm 99% certain the "unavailable for pickup" thing that shows means that there won't be any in store reservations available.

The out of stock message is "ships to store", it looks like.

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Should have it up and running in the next couple of days hopefully
If anyones good with design etc gimme a PM

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Should have it up and running in the next couple of days hopefully
If anyones good with design etc gimme a PM
So is data on stock actually available via the website, just not shown?

Or are you just planning on making an app to check if the "unavailable for in-store pickup" option changes?

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
So is data on stock actually available via the website, just not shown?

Or are you just planning on making an app to check if the "unavailable for in-store pickup" option changes?

From what i've seen playing around, and speaking to the store.. you can get a pencil on a personal reservation.. but since they're out of stock 99% of the time in all stores it shows that message.

my site will monitor and update if anything changes

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wow! A Pencil and keyboard at the same time? Extremely lucky. Still looking for a keyboard to no avail.

Do let us know what you think of it!

Love the keyboard. However, I do very little typing so am probably not the
best person to rate it. It's fine for me but grab one if you can and try it out until mid January and the return it if it doesn't suit.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
Not sure if anyone has ever noticed...... But when you ask to buy something in an Apple Store, they check the stock on their handheld device (modified iPod touch I think) and it reports back one of three results...... Green - stock available, red - no stock, yellow - low stock (I think if under 10). If yellow they have to manually check as there is the chance that all stock could already be in customers hands in store waiting to be paid for. I assume ( but don't know) that pickup will only show if an item is green. Given that most stores are only receiving a handful of pencils at a time, they are likely to be yellow at best - which is likely to explain why the pickup option is not available.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Not sure if anyone has ever noticed...... But when you ask to buy something in an Apple Store, they check the stock on their handheld device (modified iPod touch I think) and it reports back one of three results...... Green - stock available, red - no stock, yellow - low stock (I think if under 10). If yellow they have to manually check as there is the chance that all stock could already be in customers hands in store waiting to be paid for. I assume ( but don't know) that pickup will only show if an item is green. Given that most stores are only receiving a handful of pencils at a time, they are likely to be yellow at best - which is likely to explain why the pickup option is not available.

That's what I got when I was lucky enough to bag both a pencil and a keyboard. The girl was relatively new and had to
ask a colleague what 'orange' meant. He muttered something I didn't hear but she said she would try to request them
anyway and after a few tentative minutes with fingers crossed another colleague appeared from the back with said items. So pleased I almost hugged her!

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Checked first thing at Metrocentre store today after being told they get deliveries every single day before they open. They don't. Or that's what a different employee said. Such a shambles.

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Fa
That's what I got when I was lucky enough to bag both a pencil and a keyboard. The girl was relatively new and had to
ask a colleague what 'orange' meant. He muttered something I didn't hear but she said she would try to request them
anyway and after a few tentative minutes with fingers crossed another colleague appeared from the back with said items. So pleased I almost hugged her!
Fairly sure its Tuesdays to Saturdays for deliveries

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
No Pencils in Birmingham Bullring. The assistant said to order online as it is 2-3 weeks. I pointed out it is actually 4-5 weeks i.e. after Christmas now.

My 11/11 order still Processing.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Fairly sure its Tuesdays to Saturdays for deliveries

Sounds about right. I was going to check for Smart Keyboards tomorrow but seems unlikely stock would arrive Monday since that would imply it was sent on a weekend, which I doubt happens.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Checked my local store this morning and they had neither pencil nor keyboard. Had a chat with the guy there and he said they literally have no idea if or when they'll get any. Just a case of a checking and hoping for the best. I'm probably just going to call it a day and wait for my online order to ship.

It'd be good to know if anyone has had any luck in the UK recently, it seems as though the stock is just being concentrated in the US at the moment.

Last edited:

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Checked Covent Garden, no stock. The guy had a look on the iPod and no store in London have stock apparently :(

JennaS90

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2015
None in Milton Keynes today

None in Edinburgh either - they confirmed they got in just 3 only last week and they all sold out in minutes.

Went to John Lewis and they confirmed they've never had them in, they were due to get stock last week but because of the stock issues it doesn't seem likely at the moment.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
None in Edinburgh either - they confirmed they got in just 3 only last week and they all sold out in minutes.

Went to John Lewis and they confirmed they've never had them in, they were due to get stock last week but because of the stock issues it doesn't seem likely at the moment.

I'm really hoping John Lewis get stock soon. I got my 6s Plus from them when all of the Apple Stores near me had shortages of them so fingers crossed.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Cross post from the iPad forum: Apple Pencil Order Status Thread

My 11:30 11/11 UK Pencil order is still Processing, even though my AMEX card had a pending £79 from Apple appear on Friday (normally a sure fire sign that an order is about to prepare for dispatch). However this morning I noticed that the pending £79 has gone! It looks like there has been a major 'muck-up' with logistics, and an batch due in to Apple UK (Syncreon) on Friday did not arrive. Could explain why UK Apple Stores don't seem to have any pencils so far this week.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Just placed my order online, estimated delivery 28th Dec - 4th Jan :eek::mad:
What a joke. I'll keep checking Covent Garden and Regent Street stores as much as possible...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Just placed my order online, estimated delivery 28th Dec - 4th Jan :eek::mad:
What a joke. I'll keep checking Covent Garden and Regent Street stores as much as possible...
Keep us updated on the status of those stores. I go EVERY MORNING in search of a Smart Keyboard. No luck. Have given up now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.