Apple Pencil's effect on iPad Pro battery?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by badlydrawnboy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Correct, when it’s attached it’s always charging, because the magnetic connection is the charger not a storage solution. To stop overcharging the Pencil will drop 1 or 2% and then charge back to 100%. Just like your phone and iPad does when they’re on the charger.

2. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Interesting. Btw, there are moments when I pick up the Pencil after it’s been attached overnight and it is slightly warm. I didn’t notice a massive iPad power drain, though.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

But my issue is that both my original Pencil 2 and the replacement will stay topped off at 100% for a day or so, but then will start draining. The iPad Pro sees the Pencil is attached because the Pencil shows up in the battery widget with a percentage and without the charging icon next to it. The iPad is obviously trying and trying and trying to top it off again, but I think there’s something glitching in the Pencil’s software where it’s not flipping over into “top me off” mode.

4. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

If I leave the pencil attached but don’t plug in the iPad, it is exactly where yours is at, 85% overnight for me is approximately 6 hours. If I detach the pencil the iPad is at 100% in the morning. So for me, the pencil drains about 15% of battery life over approximately 6 hours. I thought my iPad had bad battery life until I decided one night to leave the pencil off. Pretty disappointed in this, because I know the pencil doesn’t need this much energy. Oh well. I just keep the pencil off now.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Same here. It is disappointing, but I think it’s going to keep being reported and will eventually be resolved. There are lots of people seeing this same behavior.

6. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

My Pencil remains at 100% battery after a few days of no use. I keep it in a drawer when not in use and my iPad in Flight mode when not in use so the Pencil isn’t waking or trying to connect.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Yeah—as an experiment the other day, I charged the iPad Pro and Pencil up both to 100%, detached the Pencil, and let them both sit on my desk for like 2 full days without using either device AT ALL other than to lift the cover and see how the batteries were doing. Both devices sat at 100% for 2 full days. Even when I did eventually pick the iPad up and start using it, it still took 10 or 15 minutes of use to even go down to 99%. So the iPad obviously doesn’t have a battery issue, which is a relief, and the Pencil doesn’t seem to either as far as holding a charge for extended periods of non use.

If I use the Pencil regularly like I was a few days ago for a pretty big art project I was doing, that’s not as big of a deal. Using the Pencil, sticking it back on the iPad, using it some more, sticking it back on the iPad, etc. doesn’t seem to affect either device as far as battery drain. It’s when the Pencil sits there doing nothing for more than a day that it starts acting a little odd as far as not letting itself be topped off. If I take the Pencil off the iPad for a second and put it back on, that tops it back off to 100% and it stays like that for a day or so.

So, I really think this is a software glitch, and I’m not going to constantly store the Pencil on the iPad IF I’m not going to be using the Pencil a lot. Or, I might do what some others are suggesting and stick it on by one magnet so that it doesn’t start charging until I’m ready for it to start charging. I’m really hoping a Pencil firmware fix is coming sooner rather than later so I don’t have to worry about it anymore.

8. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I noticed this issue after I first got my pencil and iPad. I thought the iPad had a battery issue as the life was so poor. Once my sleeve arrived, it had a spot for storing the pencil off the iPad, the life was what I expected. So I too hope apple addresses this.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Just got my Apple Pencil 2. Connected it to my 11” last night with iPad at 97% and the Pencil at 98%. Just grabbed my iPad around 9 hours later and it’s at 86%. That’s crazy battery draw.

10. RLRabb macrumors member

I’ve also noticed excessive battery drain in standby on my 2018 Pro when I leave the Pencil attached. So now I set it to the side during standby periods.

11. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Just another data point.

Last night at 5 my iPP 12.9 and Pencil v2 where at 100% charge.
    I left the pencil attached over night.

12 hours later the iPad was at 95% and the pencil at 90%.

iPad is wifi only, probably received a few push notifications.

I was surprised to see the pencil at 90% as I thought it would continue to be charged by the iPad.

12. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

I’ve had several situations recently where my pencil has been dropping charge, even as low as 8% despite being attached to the charging connected.

I wonder if this is a bug of some kind in the latest release of iOS?

13. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Is there a threshold of battery remaining of the pencil before it will start charging when the iPad is NOT plugged in (charging)?

I ask because I noticed as soon as I plugged my iPad into my laptop, the Pencil charged to 100% in a short period of time.
    Is there a threshold of battery remaining of the pencil before it will start charging when the iPad is NOT plugged in (charging)?

I ask because I noticed as soon as I plugged my iPad into my laptop, the Pencil charged to 100% in a short period of time.

14. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

I posted this is another thread, but may be more appropriate here:

When I noticed that the Pencil seemed to always want to charge when attached to the iPad, I decided to take it off when not needed and keep it in the small loop case I bought for it. The Pencil will go to sleep when stationary after a certain amount of time.

15. flur macrumors 68020

flur

I got my iPad and pencil on launch day. I no longer see any battery loss when I take the pencil off when it’s fully charged. Literally still at 100% after a week. I also no longer notice any drain on the iPad if I leave mine attached and unused. Obviously if I use it and then reattach it, it drains the iPad a little bit.

16. inghulent73 macrumors newbie

Yep it's terrible. I was under the impression we were supposed to leave the pencil attached to the iPad at all times when not using it, which I guess you can but it's at the cost of your iPads battery.

17. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

This weekend I left the pencil on the ipad, both at 100% charge on Friday. This morning the pencil was at 45% and the iPad was at 86%

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

My Pencil doesn't drain quite that fast, but after it hits 100%, both devices start draining and the Pencil stops getting topped off.

Anyone planning on running the new iOS 12 beta to see if this addresses the issue?

19. Dalamaco macrumors newbie

Dalamaco

My 11” iPad pro was quite good for the first 1.5 month. But until now its battery sucks. It lasted about 10hrs screen on time but now roughly half of it. This also happened to my 1st gen ipp 12.9 last time. And my xs max seems got the same battery issue, sometime it’s better than I expected but sometimes it’s not.
    I have been observing my ipad for this whole week, it has been like 17-20% battery for 1hr on Notability. Drain itself about 0.5% per hour.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:07 AM ---
    Seems like the battery issue somehow relates to iCloud, with out iCloud account logged in, my devices last longer. But I also don’t know where exactly it comes from.

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

For science, I’ve left my Pencil 2nd gen alone on my night stand and not used it since this post (January 1). It’s down to 35% when I picked it up today. That’s pretty impressive standby time.