Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon from HR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Monrovia, CA
Hey there. So I’ve got this Apple Performa Plus Display that I got a while back, but have a problem. The video out cable from the back of monitor has been cut off. All that’s left is a stumpy bit of wire sticking out from the monitor. It’s hardwired.
The monitor powers on and everything, but I obviously don’t get image. Any idea if the wire assembly can be replaced? :confused:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
There are several different models of these as Apple dealt with different manufacturers. (Edit - wrong assumption based on differing FCCIDs).

From a technical stand-point, the cable should be replaceable, whether it plugs into a socket on the circuit board inside or is soldered, I'd still class it as replaceable.

The difficulty is in determining which exact type you have (best done by the FCCID and also it's Model Number)

Some I've found so far are:

Model: M9102LL/B FCCID: A3KM023 Voltage: 120VAC

Model: M9102Z/D FCCID - unkown Voltage: 240VAC

Model: M9102LL/D FCCID: A3KM039 Voltage 120VAC

As you can see below, these are quite different monitors

Performa Plus Display A3KM023.jpg

Performa Plus Display A3KM039.jpg

Next would be to determine if Apple sold a replacement cable - I have an awful feeling they did not for these models - but they did for the Sony 14" Color Display.

Is it fixable? Yes! Is it going to be easy? Perhaps not. :(

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
In addition with further research, all the above FCCIDs are all Philips monitors.

According to an old parts database, Some of the M9102LL/D models have a rear label with the name "Apple Performa Display" (omitting the 'Plus') but are still classed as a "Plus".

The revision D (M9102LL/D) model also has NO external Height & Width adjustments.

Also, at a guess, the "Z" in the 'M9102Z/D' would denote international 240VAC version.

There may be other European Models with similar model numbering, modifying the "LL/(A,B,C,D)".

But, the bad news would be that the cable appears to NOT have been offered as a spare part, with a "Whole Unit Exchange" being the repair option when these were supported.

The FCCID does correspond to specific Philips, IBM and HP models of monitors, so cables from those may also fit, but you'd then need a VGA to Mac Adapter to use on an early Mac.

Building your own cable would certainly be an option, but if you choose to have a direct Mac 19pin plug, you'll need to build in the appropriate diodes so the Mac can know the type of monitor connected, otherwise it won't display video. For more information on these "Sense Lines", see Apple's Tech Doc here: http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/technotes/hw/pdf/hw_30.pdf

Apologies for the long post.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.