Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hi there,

So I been using the apple photos app for a very long time.
I have allot of good memories.
And is starting to organisne my photos a little.

I would like to archive all the photos of my ex girlfriends in a way where they are moved out of daily sight... but not totally forgotten.

Perhaps they should be organised in smart albums I think?... and I would like to be able to watch them at will, but not accidentical.

So moved out of or hidden in the general photostream is this possible?

What is the best way to do this?

Thnx.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I like this idea too. Often my ex-girlfriend comes up in those memory suggestions and I always cringe a little. Like you I don’t want to dump the pics but I wish there was a way to prevent that

Reactions: Heliotropen

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you man ... I hope we have some apple photos experts in here.
It's also that I'm beginning to see a new girl so would like the exes out of my focus and thoughts.
But I don't want to destroy all my memories of them...

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Export them to your Pictures folder, one folder per girlfriend, compress the folder and lock the file.

Don't look back.

The problem is I dont understand those instructions.

1) what is my picture folder
2) how do I Export the images into it
3) how do I lock the

is this still inside Apple photos? Because im not sure if I want to Export my memmories out of there unless I have to.

like some day I might want to show then to my New Girl, then it’s nice to have them in Apple phots.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
The problem is I dont understand those instructions.

1) what is my picture folder
2) how do I Export the images into it
3) how do I lock the

is this still inside Apple photos? Because im not sure if I want to Export my memmories out of there unless I have to.

like some day I might want to show then to my New Girl, then it’s nice to have them in Apple phots.

Well, you can Hide individual photos. Select the photos you want to hide. Right-click on the photo(s) you want to hide and near the bottom of the context menu you will see "Hide (n) photo(s).

The warning dialog box will say: Hide this Photo - This photo will be hidden from all places in your library but can be found in the Hidden album. You can set the Hidden album to be visible in Library from the View menu.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
So what would be the way to do this:

1. organise them into smart albums.
2. hide everything in those smart albums with the “hide” feature

or?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
So what would be the way to do this:

1. organise them into smart albums.
2. hide everything in those smart albums with the “hide” feature

or?
I'd just select the photos in question, right-click them and pick "hide" (or just hit ⌘L which is the shortcut). This is hard on an iOS device but quite easy on a Mac since you can hold down the command key to multiple select. They'll show up in your Hidden Photos album in chronological order. They'll be all lumped together, but that's the way it goes.

You might be able to select them faster if you the exes in question show up in your "People" albums. In that case, open the album for the person you want to hide, select all the photos, then hide them all. Done.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

archive ex girlfriends without deleting them​

Or just admit that you aren't that 'one girl type of man (or woman)', and risk trashing the relationship. Deceit isn't a good way to maintain a relationship. I guess I've been lucky though, none of my ex's want anything to do with me, so I'm saved from fantasy.

My current ran into an ex in a different state, they were both at the same conference. She was fascinated that I actually dated that person. Said it was a damn good thing for me, a obviously married up. ??? I think most do, or like to think they do.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Ohhh Jesus, I am a “one Girl type of man” but im not a cuck who want to delete all his pas memmories in life because he has a gf.
There is no decit, no affairs, no wishes of getting back with the exces, it was me breaking up with most of them... also nothing hidden, if the thing develop she will have access to the images just fine if she wants to... just dont want to delte the memmories but dont want them in my view or mixed in with my photos of my gf and other things all the time either.

Last edited:

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I'd just select the photos in question, right-click them and pick "hide" (or just hit ⌘L which is the shortcut). This is hard on an iOS device but quite easy on a Mac since you can hold down the command key to multiple select. They'll show up in your Hidden Photos album in chronological order. They'll be all lumped together, but that's the way it goes.

You might be able to select them faster if you the exes in question show up in your "People" albums. In that case, open the album for the person you want to hide, select all the photos, then hide them all. Done.

good advice except I have so many picture it will be a mess, any way to organize it?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ohhh Jesus, I am a “one Girl type of man” but im not a cuck who want to delete all his pas memmories in life because he has a gf.
There is no decit, no affairs, no wishes of getting back with the exces, it was me breaking up with most of them... also nothing hidden, if the thing develop she will have access to the images just fine if she wants to... just dont want to delte the memmories but dont want them in my view or mixed in with my photos of my gf and other things all the time either.

No deceit? Why keep their pictures? I remember the exs I had in my mind. They look a hell of a lot sexier there than they ever looked in real life. I grew up. I realized that they are 'ex's' for a reason. If I want a future, I have to OWN the future. looking at pictures of what could have been is useless. Live in the now. Give your whole attention to the current 'Ms Right'.

And, hiding things usually means badness in the future, if they are ever discovered. Maybe put them on a flash drive, and bury them in the backyard. Forget about what was, and work on what is possible now. Off device storage is probably the safest anyway...

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah, you wont understand ... there is reasons for that, but thats not what this thread is about... I have nothing to hide from my gf, she don’t expect me to delete my past, neither do I want her to either.

And I’m not interested in the story of how you deleted all the images from your past to Communicate xyz to your wife... except if she ever divorce you consider you might regret deleting all your memmories.

Anyways that’s your problem dude!

The thread is about a Technical question. ;)

That is about how I best organize these images in a way so they don’t mix with my current images... but so I can still easily watch or show them to someone and go trough memory lane at will... I dont want them in my consciousness (or image stream) at the moment.

had hoped there was a way to just make en album and call it Exes, with each name + a way to keep it out of the normal Photo stream / libary.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
good advice except I have so many picture it will be a mess, any way to organize it?
No. They'd be organized chronologically.

had hoped there was a way to just make en album and call it Exes, with each name + a way to keep it out of the normal Photo stream / libary.
In your mind substitute "Exes" for "Hidden" and you're done. Move on.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
And I’m not interested in the story of how you deleted all the images from your past to Communicate xyz to your wife... except if she ever divorce you consider you might regret deleting all your memmories.

Anyways that’s your problem dude!

The thread is about a Technical question. ;)
Except you're the one who went into all this detail about your exes and whatnot. Not really needed for a "Technical question"

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I had a problem similar and I made a Folder in Pictures . If Pictures isn't Visible in the side bar of Finder go to Finder Preferances and add it. Make a new folder in Pictures call something like Exes, you could make subfolders inside that for each ex. Now open the Photos app and Select the photos you don't want to see there anymore and drag to the new folder. When you are sure they are in the new folder you can delete from Photos. Anytime you want to see these pictures drag the folder of pictures you want to see to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will open and show all the pictures in that folder and look similar to the way they are in Photos. You can do a lot with pictures in Preview, like add a name, delete, rotate and much more. I keep Preview on the dock all the time, it is handy for doing a lot of things to images of all kinds.

Reactions: Heliotropen

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I had a problem similar and I made a Folder in Pictures . If Pictures isn't Visible in the side bar of Finder go to Finder Preferances and add it. Make a new folder in Pictures call something like Exes, you could make subfolders inside that for each ex. Now open the Photos app and Select the photos you don't want to see there anymore and drag to the new folder. When you are sure they are in the new folder you can delete from Photos. Anytime you want to see these pictures drag the folder of pictures you want to see to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will open and show all the pictures in that folder and look similar to the way they are in Photos. You can do a lot with pictures in Preview, like add a name, delete, rotate and much more. I keep Preview on the dock all the time, it is handy for doing a lot of things to images of all kinds.
Yeah so to export them into a folder on my mac ... that could be an option. Thnx for the details on preview that’s very useful, I use this for allot already. This will probably be my way to do it.

Last edited:

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Plenty of valid reasons here, folks, that aren't nefarious. One might like to keep pictures of concerts attended, parties that were fun, college graduation, or whatever, but there you are with your arm around another woman. Definitely don't need that photo popping up as a suggested "photo from this day in the past" in your photos app, rotating as a desktop background, or whatever it is you do with photos. It's not just pictures of that person specifically that you want to keep.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Plenty of valid reasons here, folks, that aren't nefarious. One might like to keep pictures of concerts attended, parties that were fun, college graduation, or whatever, but there you are with your arm around another woman. Definitely don't need that photo popping up as a suggested "photo from this day in the past" in your photos app, rotating as a desktop background, or whatever it is you do with photos. It's not just pictures of that person specifically that you want to keep.
I appreciates it mate,,, but I should not even need to give others any valid reasons... I explained what I’m trying to achieve, I wasn’t asking for ppls view on relationships.

But now it interest ppl so much.

I’m not trying to hide something from my gf... I don’t want any of my exes back ... there is memmories I want to keep, without having to relive them every single time I open photos.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
There's an option in the People feature to suggest photos less. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207103
Hope this helps!
Thnx man did not know that... very nice to know ... but they will still fill up the “library” right?

I don’t mine a visible library like exes/names in the actual photo app, but I’m getting tired of seeing them evertime I work with images from the library.

is there any add ones I can buy to the photo app regarding some of these features?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.