Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Just sent this email after a very frustrating conversation with someone on apple chat:

A few months ago I received my space grey apple watch on launch day as part of the online pre-order system. I actually wanted space black and would have happily paid the extra for the sport model had there been one, but £1000 for the link bracelet was just too much money. You can appreciate my frustration that recently the space black was relaunched with an additional sport model.

My colleague bought his apple watch on my recommendation 2 months ago, like myself he wanted space black but bought his space grey version from the Birmingham bullring store.

Now where it gets really frustrating is my colleague was able to go into the apple shop he bought his from, and they agreed (at manager’s discretion) to allow him to return his space grey model, pay the extra money and get the space black model in its place.

I have just had a 40 minute conversation with someone on the online store’s help desk in which I have tried to do the same and they have outright refused to help me in any way. Simply quoting ‘it’s something we cannot do’….except it clearly is, as my colleague has shown.

I find it completely irrelevant whether or not one was a physical store and one was online. We are both customers with the same rights and are being treated differently, and the fact that he bought his watch on recommendation from myself is a real kick in the teeth. I am essentially being penalised for trusting apple, buying at launch and using the online pre-order service.

With this in mind, what do you think the chances are of me buying a first generation product from apple again? I feel very let down by a company I spend a lot of money with. I really expect this to be rectified in some way, with a similar outcome to that of my colleague’s.

I get that online store and retail are separate, but this is seriously dreadful customer service. If both os us had been declined then fair enough, but one and not the other is outrageous. Makes the whole 'online only' pre-order look even worse.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
(at manager’s discretion)
This statement says everything you need to know. Your friend needs to go buy a lottery ticket, because he's one lucky dude. How is it at all reasonable to expect Apple to take back a product that's been used for about 5 months now? Do what everyone else is doing and sell your current watch on eBay.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
This statement says everything you need to know. Your friend needs to go buy a lottery ticket, because he's one lucky dude. How is it at all reasonable to expect Apple to take back a product that's been used for about 5 months now? Do what everyone else is doing and sell your current watch on eBay.

Meh, I'd consider it irrelevant in terms of customer service. You can't have one rule for one and one for another. They either give it or they don't.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Honestly, it sounds very immature of you to even expect such a return after use for half a year. Just sell it on ebay and accept the slight financial loss.

Why is it immature to expect the same customer service as someone in the same room as me?

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Sigh. Thought this would be the wrong forum to post on. Sure let's have apple be completely inconsistent from customer to customer and hold them completely unaccountable...cos...shiney!!!

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Also..if you actually read my email I say it would be fine if neither of us was able to upgrade...I am fine with not being able to upgrade it, that is something I completely expect...however I don't then expect someone else to be able to.

Joehascol

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
You think a retail store manager represents an entire companies policy? The guy decided to be nice to your friend, and now you're using it as an excuse to go on an online tirade. Does none of that sound childish to you?

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
You think a retail store manager represents an entire companies policy? The guy decided to be nice to your friend, and now you're using it as an excuse to go on an online tirade. Does none of that sound childish to you?

Does it not sound sexist that you referred to the store manager as a guy? Why was that your automatic assumption?

See, we can both twist words.

Reactions: GoldenDust

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Meh, I'd consider it irrelevant in terms of customer service. You can't have one rule for one and one for another. They either give it or they don't.
Except that's exactly what "manager's discretion" means. He didn't have to do it, but he did anyway. I think you're only hope here is to go to the same store as your friend, speak to the same manager, and hope for the best. But it's a long shot.

Also, don't pretend that you and him are in the exact same boat. He got his original watch 2 months ago, for you it was 5 months ago. Those 3 months mean the two of you are not the same.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
It is absolutely at the manager's discretion. I purchased an AWS on launch. Three weeks later I went into the store, saw the SS, and decided soon after to see if the store would allow me to upgrade. Luckily enough, they did. But this was basically only a month after I had received the AWS, not five.

He got his original watch 2 months ago, for you it was 5 months ago. Those 3 months mean the two of you are not the same.

This.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
OP's got a point, though. I'd rather have all of a company's reps stick to policy.

On the other hand, maybe it simply pays to be courteous…

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
You think you're being treated differently but your colleague went to a retail store in Birmingham and you were trying to do it over the phone. Are you in a different part of Alabama? How far of a trip would it be? Perhaps you would get similar offering if you were to show up in person.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The sense of entitlement is crazy here...

OP's got a point, though. I'd rather have all of a company's reps stick to policy.

The fact of the matter is "manager's discretion" means just that - it's not synonymous with "Apple policy". The KEY here is that OP and his "friend" were not in the same situation/circumstances - no matter how close they sat on the same couch. 5 months, online chat... and 2 months, in-store manager decision.

Absolutely correct with the bolded.

Last edited:

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

Who says I wasn't courteous. I spoke very nicely to the apple rep. I got a bit sarcastic after 40 minutes of 'it's not something we can do'...mainly because thats a stupid phrase. It's not something they 'will' do is more accurate.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
You think you're being treated differently but your colleague went to a retail store in Birmingham and you were trying to do it over the phone. Are you in a different part of Alabama? How far of a trip would it be? Perhaps you would get similar offering if you were to show up in person.

I've had it before where they won't deal with online store orders in the same way because they're 'separate'. Presume this would be the same.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I've had it before where they won't deal with online store orders in the same way because they're 'separate'. Presume this would be the same.

If you had the same experience before, why did you do it again?

----

Again, your friend got lucky. I wouldn't expect the same thing. Some people damage their screens and get it replaced for free. Others don't. Just the way it is.

Side on the negative as in, "There is no way they will let me do this. " And then if they do, you will be happy. If not, you have not got your hopes up.

I've had other situations where someone has gotten something that I have not, and that's just the way it is.

Reactions: CarlJ and Command

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Sometimes life throws us a bone and this happened to the "friend". Get over it and be happy for them. Bitching wont help you catch a break, more likely the opposite will since it's just easier for those generous few to stick to the guidelines.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
What you need to do is consider that online and retail store are two very different mediums. Not just with Apple, if you care to do the research. In nearly all cases, one can do something the other can not. I will use the infamous mart of wall's as an example as they're the same way (save you some research). So, whether you deem it relevant or not is, well... irrelevant. It's a business and they have their limitations within their business sector (there's a more correct term for that but it's escaping me). Moreover, if it was "Manager's Discretion", that's likely something they can do, a certain number of times, in a certain time period, depending on certain circumstances. The simple fact that you noted yours was 3 months ago and your friend's was 2 months ago could be enough, among any number of things.
Bottom line, you bought it. In the world of tech, you and I both take that chance every time. Just like everyone else. I once bought a 03 Jeep and the 04 had round driving lights and I really wanted that but, seriously... what were my options? Just trying to add a layer of reality you might be missing out on.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Or try a couple more times... the online call in people probably all are a little different. You may find one that can do what you want. Same goes for the store. Go in a couple different times and ask nicely. But don't spend 45 minutes doing it again. Give it a few minutes, ask for them to do what you want, if they say no, move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.