Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BITEMEAPPLESIGN

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
It definitely is at the manager discretion.

But it is possible, my friend bought the silver sport one, and was able to exchange it for the rose gold sport.​

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Its not dreadful customer service. You are making an unreasonable demand with unreasonable expectations.

You are clearly out of the return/exchange period. Unless your credit card has a 3 month extended return window, Apple does not owe you anything.

Your friend got lucky because the manager did hima favor, likely to boost his stores own sales numbers. Why dont you try going to a physcial store.

zetaplus93

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
You were treated "the right way". Your friend just got lucky.

It's not the end of the world. As other said, just sell it, lose a bit, and get a new one.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I'm confused. I don't see a space black sport model on the apple store, it still says space gray. What am I missing?

Edit: Nevermind I get it now. You bought a space grey sport but now want a space black stainless steel with black sport band which wasn't available then. Get over it dude. It's been 5 months. Why would Apple take back a 5 month old Watch that there is nothing wrong with?

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Can someone close this thread... Seriously... Either go to the Apple Store and see if they will do anything or sell on eBay, etc... Ridiculous!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You think you're being treated differently but your colleague went to a retail store in Birmingham and you were trying to do it over the phone. Are you in a different part of Alabama? How far of a trip would it be? Perhaps you would get similar offering if you were to show up in person.

Not Alabama, USA. This would be the original Birmingham. The one in England. :)

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Managers Discretion means they don't do it for people who come in entitled making demands and being rude, or who abuse the system. The way it should be.

dalcorn1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Managers Discretion means they don't do it for people who come in entitled making demands and being rude, or who abuse the system. The way it should be.

Again, who said I was ever rude? My email followed a 40 minute conversation with an apple rep. I didn't go in making demands, I merely asked for the same service as someone else.

This forum is the wrong place to criticise, never mind. If anyone else wants to leap to their defence and say I'm a terrible person go ahead but I probably won't read it.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Again, who said I was ever rude? My email followed a 40 minute conversation with an apple rep. I didn't go in making demands, I merely asked for the same service as someone else.

This forum is the wrong place to criticise, never mind. If anyone else wants to leap to their defence and say I'm a terrible person go ahead but I probably won't read it.

I criticize Apple products all the time. But I keep going back to them because they stand by their products far better than anyone else in the industry. By a mile. I've gotten so many components and devices replaced for free. In fact, I've never paid a dime to get an apple product fixed, and I don't currently have any non-functional Apple products, even including stuff that is over 5 years old.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Substantially different ages of devices (according to you, yours has been in use two-and-a-half times as long), plus manager discretion, and different venues of communication. I'd venture a guess your friend didn't march right up to the first Apple employee and say "I really need you to swap this two month old watch out because I've heard you can do that." It's much easier to start out slowly with an employee in the store (at the local Apple Store tonight, I spent more than ten minutes with an employee chatting about the new band colors. He opened up a walnut sport band so I could see it (he was curious too), we both agreed it was bandaid-colored (apropos of this thread, he talked about how he was glad he'd skipped the initial launch, because now he was going to get the Space Black watch with the black sport band, and we agreed they should have offered that as an option from the start). He also opened one of the demo stations and encouraged me to try a couple of the demo bands on my own SGS (quite a change from the policies of the initial try-ons). I ended up leaving with a midnight blue sports band (that I didn't need, but really liked), in addition to the replacement power adapter for my MBP I had gone in to get.

When you start an online chat with customer service, there's much more of an impetus to get to the point - you're doing a cold open, no chance to establish rapport, and they know you're there because you want something. It's a very different environment. Your friend went into the best environment to interact with the employees, and likely with just a hope (and got lucky), you went into a much more difficult environment for interacting with the employees, likely with an expectation of getting what you wanted, and got increasingly annoyed when you weren't given the same lucky break. I expect the Apple representative was quite frustrated with your attitude (you say you were polite, but you also let on that you asked the same thing many times, after being told it wasn't going to happen).

If you tell your friend to buy a lottery ticket, and he does, and he wins, you can certainly feel butthurt that he won and you didn't, but that doesn't translate in any way to you being entitled to win. That's why you're not getting much sympathy in this thread.

Just finished reading the last few responses. Dude. If you tell your story of woe to twenty people, and twenty people tell you that you were wrong, consider, just for a moment, the possibility that maybe, just maybe, you actually were wrong. Consider that maybe it isn't just a matter of people not understanding your plight.

Last edited:
Reactions: wchigo

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
In the US, the exchange policy is 14 days. Beyond this, it's up to the manager. Maybe you should go in person to the store but considering you've had your watch even longer, probably not going to happen.

Be careful though as you come off as somewhat self entitled.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
This is absolutely the right place to come to discuss any/everything - positive or negative. You're also going to receive feedback. Look around - there are several threads from people who had legitimate issues with their devices and/or service, and they get help or suggestions... and there are many threads where people are whining about stuff - usually stuff they caused themselves - and the replies reflect such. In your case, I'd say the sense of entitlement is prevalent, not to mention the whole "well, if I can't get it, my 'friend' shouldn't be able to either" part. And getting sarcastic with the rep when you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. (Your words, not mine)

Online is different from in-store. Always has been and will be - regardless of company, usually. A store manager knows what their individual store inventory is, whether units are moving, and - as a person - gets to make judgment calls on a case-by-case basis. Online, you're dealing with a call center, essentially... and one responsible for the most popular tech company in the world, disussing a product that they're still in the process of releasing around the world, not to mention handling defects, allergic reactions, AC+ claims, etc. on newly purchased devices.

And you come along, wanting to exchange (and pay the difference) for your perfectly fine device you've had for nearly half a year, because basically you want a different color.

In the words of Big Boi... "BOY stop."

Reactions: CarlJ

SIR-Blade

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
UK
Thought I'd give some feedback here.

I’ve been one of those "awkward customers" for Apple, where I have managed to exchange my watch for a different model/band option, for a total of 5 times. On two occasions it was out of date by around a week.

Talking politely to the store staff/manager and explaining my logic for exchanging the watch at the points when it was out of the "two week" exchange period, the manager was all too happy to exchange it. I was expected the answer to be "NO", on both occasions, but was very happy and surprised that the manager was willing to exchange.

The result is that I now have the Space Black Stainless Steel AW with black sport band, but have purchased a top of the range 3rd party black stainless bracelets, with the type 2 adapter, and am content with the model I have finally settled on.

My motto has always been, don't ask, you don't get, but if they say "NO" you just have to accept it.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Who says I wasn't courteous. I spoke very nicely to the apple rep. I got a bit sarcastic after 40 minutes of 'it's not something we can do'...mainly because thats a stupid phrase. It's not something they 'will' do is more accurate.

Most may not agree with you but you're right. Policy should be policy. Really doesn't matter if you bought the watch 2 or 5 months ago. Would they allow everyone who want to trade up after two months to do so? If not, they shouldn't allow anyone to do it. Caution. I joined this forum many years ago. Most of these folks live and breath Apple. They'll almost cuss you out if you ever have a problem with Apple. When you post something negative about Apple, don't expect for it to go well and you'll be ok. But you are right my friend.

Reactions: dalcorn1

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Most may not agree with you but you're right. Policy should be policy. Really doesn't matter if you bought the watch 2 or 5 months ago. Would they allow everyone who want to trade up after two months to do so? If not, they shouldn't allow anyone to do it. Caution. I joined this forum many years ago. Most of these folks live and breath Apple. They'll almost cuss you out if you ever have a problem with Apple. When you post something negative about Apple, don't expect for it to go well and you'll be ok. But you are right my friend.
I don't think this is a case of Apple fans or long term forum members defending. Face it, his friend got lucky to find a manager willing to accept the return and it was much newer then his watch. But, he still got lucky that the manager accepted the return. Now we have a mad and jealous friend demanding equal treatment. That's all there is to this complaint and it has nothing to do with the forum. Trust me, he would get the same treatment posting on other websites since he wants equal treatment. Except Samsung forums :)

djibso

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
hey Dalcorn,
I understand your frustration as I also bought the SG as the space black was overpriced due to stainless steel band that came with it. One thing, I understood when the Iphone 5 launched, is that it is always better to purchase an apple product at the store than online.
You can talk to the manager face to face and he can see the condition of the product. (they go by the sales)
and returning an open product within the warranty is no big deal for them as the overall sale of the month matters. (more expensive product, better for them)
Online, they can only return and credit your back the $$ and they cant force you to buy something for them. However at the store level, the manager can easily say buy the product now and I will accept the return.

So you have to understand, they are 2 different point of sales

Reactions: CarlJ and Enygmatic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.