Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up a new six-part documentary series about the World Surf League, which will provide a behind-the-scenes look at the "aspirations, failures and accomplishments" of the world's best surfers as they strive for the World Surf League Title.

apple-tv-world-surf-league-docuseries.jpg

Apple says that each episode will feature a "rich exploration" of the people who make up the 2021 World Surf League Men and Women's Championship Tour, bringing viewers along on a journey to some of the most incredible surf spots in the world. The first episode will take place in Hawaii, with the Championship Tour kicking off on December 4.

Other Championship Tour spots will include Santa Cruz, California; New South Wales, Australia; Papara, Tahiti; Taghazout Bay, Morocco; Bali, Indonesia; Tuamotus, French Polynesia; Netanya, Israel; and more.

Some of the highest ranked surfers in the world will participate, like Italo Ferreira, Gabriel Medina, Jordy Smith, Caroline Marks, Lakey Peterson, and Stephanie Gilmore.

The docuseries will "dive into different surfing cultures" and will visit topics tied to the sport such as eco-conservation, sustainability, and marine preservation. Box Films and the World Surf League are teaming up to produce the docuseries for Apple.

Article Link: Apple Picks Up World Surf League Docuseries for Apple TV+

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
This looks great! Yes, Apple, I will take docu-series on nature and sports all day long. Cannot wait!

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Sweet! Will be interesting to see if WSL can pull off reconstituted 2021 tour.

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
Guaranteed those who watch will fast forward to the drop in and tubes.
Dreams and aspirations of surfers? Does anyone care?

MJaP

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
Yet another reason why I still haven't claimed my free year of Apple TV+. There is practically nothing original on there that I am interested in, at least nothing standout that I cannot already get something similar or better on another streaming platform... Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Peacock, CBS All Access, Showtime, Starz, Britbox, ESPN, BET, Criterion, Sundance Now, and more, and more, and more... bankrupting you one month at a time.

Reactions: derekamoss and Huck

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Meanwhile, HBO Max is giving us Wonder Woman 1984, Matrix 4, and Dune.
I mean, surfing's cool. But would I subscribe to Apple's abysmal service for it? Nope.
The Suicide Squad, Space Jam, etc. etc. WB is in the red dude and the age of the $200m blockbuster might be over. But good thing we can watch it for $15 and then cancel it when we’re done right?

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Yet another reason why I still haven't claimed my free year of Apple TV+. There is practically nothing original on there that I am interested in, at least nothing standout that I cannot already get something similar or better on another streaming platform... Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Peacock, CBS All Access, Showtime, Starz, Britbox, ESPN, BET, Criterion, Sundance Now, and more, and more, and more... bankrupting you one month at a time.
I believe there’s an expiration date on the free year promotion. I get that you’re more interested in Starz, I mean a Power spinoff? Try to stop me. But free stuff is free stuff.

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Nobody cares. I don't like NBA or NFL or MLB and wouldn't subscribe to their season passes, but I don't go around whining about it on sports forums. You do you, and let others do what they want.

There are lots of good, original shows on ATV+ that you will NOT find anywhere else, btw.

• Love

w5jck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
And for the 99% of Apple TV+ users who don't care a bit about the California surfer culture I say, "MEH!!!!!"

I've got Amazon Prime Video and the free year of Apple TV+. Whenever I watch something from either of those services, about 95% of the time it will be from Amazon Prime Video because Apple TV+ has a whole lot of garbage that blows chunks and very little that is worth watching. This new docuseries is of no interest to me at all...

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Literally more low hanging fruit. Documentaries fill the dead air.

HBO max literally killing it with level of releases plus the announcement that WB will release feature films both in theater and on streaming service at same time.

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA
I believe there’s an expiration date on the free year promotion. I get that you’re more interested in Starz, I mean a Power spinoff? Try to stop me. But free stuff is free stuff.
Free stuff is not just “free stuff”. There are agreements, taxes, and much more accounting behind the trials than you can think of. Might want to educate more on “free stuff” activated memberships are meticulously counted when it comes to earnings reporting. Many users won’t remember to cancel either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.