Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Planned to Release Country-Specific Watch Bands for Postponed 2020 Summer Olympics

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have been planning to introduce country-specific Apple Watch bands for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, but with the games postponed until 2021 due to the global health crisis, they have yet to be released.

Twitter account L0vetodream shared a few photos of the bands over the weekend, including one for the host country Japan and another for Denmark. The custom Sport Loops were designed to match each country's national flag, and they each have an abbreviated country name printed on the underside, such as DEN or JPN.

Apple released similar country-specific bands for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, with 14 custom Woven Nylon bands made available for the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, South Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Japan, Jamaica, Canada, China, Brazil, Australia, Germany, and France. The bands were available to the public at only one Apple Store in Rio de Janeiro, retailing for $49 each.

The 2020 Summer Olympics are now scheduled to begin Friday, July 23, 2021.

Article Link: Apple Planned to Release Country-Specific Watch Bands for Postponed 2020 Summer Olympics

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Have you seen his other recent tweets? He calls out all of the fake Apple leakers!

Drama is also part of a leaker’s job title :p

I think this is an amazing and cool idea. I know people love to hate on Apples band business, but I really have appreciated the continued efforts and creativity from that specific segment of Apple.

Reactions: TropN and MareLuce
Comment

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
If they're similar to last time around, these will be good for countries with purely striped flags, but a bit meh for other countries.

Reactions: haydn!
Comment

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Does Denmark have a summer olympics team? :)

We did alright in 2016.

Gold in swimming (women's 50 m freestyle).
Gold in handball (men's handball tournament).
Silver in cycling (men's road race).
Silver in rowing (men's lightweight four).
Silver in wrestling (men's Greco-Roman 75kg).
Silver in canoeing (women's K-1 500m).
Silver in badminton (women's doubles).
Silver in athletics (women's 400m hurdles).
Bronze in rowing (women's coxless pair).
Bronze in cycling (men's team pursuit).
Bronze in swimming (women's 400m medley relay).
Bronze in cycling (men's omnium).
Bronze in sailing (laser radial).
Bronze in sailing (49erFX).
Bronze in badminton (men's singles).

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I love that, and would totally buy at least one.

I assume they’re waiting until next summer to release them. Makes sense. I hate that it might only be available in Tokyo, mirroring last time’s, but I guess that adds to the cachet.

Comment

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I know this post is going to go so red but...

...does anyone actually like the Sport Loops? They are ungainly and the plastic loop connector looks so cheap. Bring back the Woven Nylon!

Comment

web500sjc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Just going to say, I wouldn’t know these were country specific sport loops without looking at the “DEN” or “JPN” on the back. Really looks like “white with red trim and red with white trim”

Comment

Toratek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2019
Meanwhile, here is a real Tokyo Olympic Games watch. One of a series Omega is making for the Games.

Picked it up in November 2019, from an Omega store in Tokyo, when the world was a very different place.

I also have an official Seiko from Barcelona (Seiko was the official timing), and Swatches from Atlanta, Sydney, and Athens (Swatch timing, which is part of the same group as Omega), and Omega Seamaster watches from Athens (made for technical officials), Beijing, and London, where Omega was the official timekeeper, and which was the last Games I was involved in. I skipped Rio but was supposed to go to Tokyo- and still might, depending on whether they will allow the usual travel by then.

As a practical matter, when traveling internationally, I wear an Omega on the left wrist set to my home time, and an Apple Watch on the right. Unfortunately, like so many of us, the last time I did that was when returning from Korea and Japan back in March.

B0DFDB7D-DEAE-47B5-9844-37218B7D6A97.jpeg

Comment

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I think Apple misses out on a lot of opportunities to make special bands that celebrate or mark a specific event in these times.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.