Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Claims of an "iPad mini" have been circulating for some time now, with a number of the reports indicating that Apple is planning to launch the device with a 7.85-inch display later this year. While the rumors have been evolving for quite some time now, things have been beginning to firm up a bit with a report last month from iMore, which has offered accurate information on several topics in recent months.

ipad_mini_mockup_iphone.jpg

Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPhone (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)

Unwired View now points to a report [Google translation] from Chinese site MyDrivers.com claiming that Apple will indeed be launching a 7.85-inch iPad later this year. According to the report's anonymous supply chain sources, the iPad mini will carry roughly the same thickness as the iPad 2, with Apple using Sharp's indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) technology to create a thinner and brighter display.

IGZO displays had been rumored for Apple's third-generation iPad, but they were apparently not ready in time, as Sharp did not begin mass production of such panels until mid-April.

Just days ago, Chinese site Apple Daily reported (via DigiTimes) that Apple will be refreshing the current iPad this summer with new IGZO displays. But with even DigiTimes calling the claim "highly doubtful", those waiting for such an update are likely to be disappointed.

Article Link: Apple Planning for 7.85-Inch 'iPad Mini' with IGZO Display Later This Year?

Last edited:

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I really hope this happens. I really want a mid range tablet, but not so much that I am willing to go down the Android route.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
It may be good, so it can compete with the nexus 7 which is gaining traction already. And what a coincidence, I've just been thinking as to where the 7" iPad rumors are. I was about to think that it was all a hoax.

Not confirmed though, but I think there's an opportunity

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Good, this will be the perfect answer to the Nexus 7 (which was actually featured in an ad right under the news article, funny :) )

Smaller, more portable, lower price.. Of course not as low as $200, but $299 would be nice. Sounds like a winner! I wouldn't get rid of my iPad 3 but still it would be a good seller.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
price will be key here ... hopefully apple doesnt pull the 'we are apple' pricing with it.

zemsantos

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
And it's gonna cost $399!

Oh, wait... :D

edit: With apple selling the ipad 2, it's like the iphone mini rumor.

Last edited:

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I can do a mockup like that in photoshop too. But I would like to see one.

Put your iPhone next to your iPad so they're both directly in front of your face.

Now move your iPad back about ten inches.

Voila! iPad Mini Mockup!

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Just days ago, Chinese site Apple Daily reported (via DigiTimes) that Apple will be refreshing the current iPad this summer with new IGZO displays. But with even DigiTimes calling the claim "highly doubtful", those waiting for such an update are likely to be disappointed.

That makes it sound as if the writer believes DigiTimes is the most reliable source around. A lot of people would disagree with that.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Pricing is gonna be a major factor, iPad 2 (still the best tablet ever)
sells for £299.99

its welcome 7" thought but we have to be reasonable here but then again it Apple we gossiping about

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Why not put two rumors together... "iPad mini" is actually the AppleTV controller...

Just a thought.

Look at the time it's being released, close to the time a supposed AppleTV comes around.

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I hope it happens. I want a second iPad (my daughter has taken over the first) and a smaller one would fit me a little better. If they keep it to $250 or so then I'm in for one.

Maybe Apple is going to aim for the Nook/Kindle buyer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.