Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
You aren't serious are you? Cooling costs? It's only hot in Reno three months out of the year, and the temperatures fall into the 50s and 60s at night. Fall and Spring are mild, and winter isn't all too serious. Aside from that....cooling costs pale in comparison to other cost advantages. Real estate in Reno is dirt cheap since the bust. Taxes in Nevada are incredibly low, there is a large and inexpensive labor force that currently suffers from a high rate of unemployment (see supply/demand). Those factors outweigh cooling costs by light years. Operating in Newark, CA is far more expensive due to those factors.

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably dim witted.

Contrary to what your snarky tag suggests.....no, you're not always correct. In fact, this time, you're just....simple.

Did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

It's OK honey, happens to the best of us.

Dae

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
WHOA! I always thought "the biggest little city in the world" sign was made up in Fallout 2. :p

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Great news. Now lets just hope they use some of this money to fix up downtown... Lots of potentiat for a proper hidtpric district, e.g. downtown Sacremento, Santa Rosa, etc.

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
hopefully the end result sparks reno up a bit

never been, but from the comments I can imagine

It is actually quite a pretty location, if seen from afar...

reno.png

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

Lots of sunshine for solar panels which can also shade the building from the sun. Also sandstorms to etch the glass on solar panels to greatly reduce efficiency.

Reno reminds me of Tatooine. Nevada will be a good tax shelter compared to California and in addition to the sun it also gets very windy there.

Seriously?

Now it all makes sense

allanincali

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Found this interesting article at IP.

http://www.investorplace.com/2012/06/7-dark-sides-of-apple/

Tax Evasion
Apple is an immensely profitable company that operates globally, yet part of that profitability is a calculated strategy to open subsidiaries and locate offices in tax-free havens to reduce the income tax it pays. Perhaps the most blatant of these measures is its subsidiary Braeburn Capital, located in corporate-tax-free Nevada to avoid the 8.84% corporate tax rate in California, where Apple’s headquarters is located. According to The New York Times, Apple paid just $8.3 billion in taxes worldwide in 2011, which equates to a 9% tax rate. Walmart (NYSE:WMT), in comparison, pays a 24% tax rate.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
According to The New York Times, Apple paid just $8.3 billion in taxes worldwide in 2011, which equates to a 9% tax rate. Walmart (NYSE:WMT), in comparison, pays a 24% tax rate.
Apple's taxes are also in the twenties percentage wise. Financial reports from each quarter publishes the estimated tax rate pretty clearly and none of them are anywhere near 9%. The idiots at NYT effectively compared Apple's revenue in 2012 with its taxes for the previous year. As Apple's profits were growing rapidly, that changed the percentage substantially. There is a Forbes article describing it in more detail, but it is a bit late at night for me to find the exact link now.

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Please reference this thread next time someone whines about Apple moving all jobs to China. The people employed here will be making multiples of iPhone production line workers. Overall economic impact to build a facility like this...

----------

Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

Solar power year round.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

Lots of sun for those solar panels.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Article: Apple earlier this year approached local and state officials about opening one of its data centers in Northern Nevada as part of a 2,200 acre project east of Sparks known as the Reno Technology Park, said Steve Polikalas, one of the principle developers behind the project.

2200 acres is about 3.4 square miles. This is going to be a solar farm.

Article:
Land and Construction $14.6m
Backbone Infrastructure $64.6m
Equipment $1000m

That is a BUNCH of capital investment, mostly not real estate.

I wonder if all of a sudden the bandwidth in Reno for all residents will increase by 10x?

Is that trickle down?

Just Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.