Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

March Winds

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2015
I no longer watch "channels." That's so 20th century. I watch content. I don't care about AMC other than the select few shows I watch. I do not want AMC, I want the shows. It would be great if they let me choose 25 shows I like to watch, and then give me all that content. Why would I want to AMC as a regular channel when 75% of the time I won't watch it?

I'd much rather pay $20/mo. to choose 20 shows. They can keep the networks. My father has Sling TV, which is pretty good for what it does, but it's still a bundle. All these services are still bundles when it comes down to it. Apple, with all their money, could actually throw money at the problem, and kill the bundle once and for all. But they don't seem to want to give back to us. Apple could lose money on a TV service for a couple years, and that would be enough time to do real harm to the cable bundle.

But this is going to be a watered down, feeble attempt at cord cutters. I'm just going from one (cable) cord to another (ethernet) cord, with a bundle. Let me choose first my channels. Then someday, let me choose the shows I want to watch, they can keep everything else.

Hopefully, there will be some flexibility: I like to watch the local news in the evening, Cal football, Giants baseball, and TCM.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
Well... most people pay about $100+ for cable.... and also pay for Netflix on top of it. So it's still quite a savings.... $50-$60 a month.... $700ish a year.

So I don't understand why cord cutters would sign up for such a thing and save a vacation package's worth of money either.

I don't think people that are paying $90-100 for directv's best package are really concerned about cutting the cord.

I was paying $85/mo for Verizon fios 75/75 internet only. For $104/mo they gave me 75/75 internet and their preferred HD (only 65 HD channels). I have to pay $19.99 for the DVR. But, it still only cost me $40 extra a month for stations that I can watch sports on and a DVR.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Kodi is not in the IOS store unless that has changed recently. Too bad because Kodi is way better than plex for streaming local files. Plex never finds all mine and takes forever to scan even on a decent computer

Kodi is only available for jailbroken devices. I've never used it, so I'm not sure why that's the case. I've never toyed with Kodi / XMBC due to the lack of a headless server version. I've got PMS running on my Mac Mini to feed my FireTV stick and a couple of non-Apple devices, though TBH, it doesn't get much use, due to the number of problems with it. If there's an app store, I hope the developers of StreamToMe / AirVideo release an app for it, that will do for me....

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Hate to say it but they could actually learn a thing from *GASP* Samsung (even if it looks like a mini trackpad clone) I have this remote for my tv and the trackpad like touch control works great.
Samsung-Smart-Touch-Remote-TM1390.jpg
Wow. That's actually the best design I've seen from Samsung.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I no longer watch "channels." That's so 20th century. I watch content. I don't care about AMC other than the select few shows I watch. I do not want AMC, I want the shows. It would be great if they let me choose 25 shows I like to watch, and then give me all that content. Why would I want to AMC as a regular channel when 75% of the time I won't watch it?

I'd much rather pay $20/mo. to choose 20 shows. They can keep the networks. My father has Sling TV, which is pretty good for what it does, but it's still a bundle. All these services are still bundles when it comes down to it. Apple, with all their money, could actually throw money at the problem, and kill the bundle once and for all. But they don't seem to want to give back to us. Apple could lose money on a TV service for a couple years, and that would be enough time to do real harm to the cable bundle.

But this is going to be a watered down, feeble attempt at cord cutters. I'm just going from one (cable) cord to another (ethernet) cord, with a bundle. Let me choose first my channels. Then someday, let me choose the shows I want to watch, they can keep everything else.
Just shows. This guy gets it. If they can eventually pull this off, it will be epic

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
There's this new invention called Wi-Fi. You should try it. :)

LOL But that doesn't play into my "cord" cutter rant. My retina MacBook Pro doesn't even have ethernet, so yeah, I could have said Wi-Fi cutters. But does that make sense?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am not entirely convinced that such a device will be more useful from what exists out there already.
For games people use consoles and the new AppleTV will certainly not be as good in gaming as a PS4 or an XBOX. For streaming content there are so many options currently, that I do not see the point in having another one..

As far as apps concern, I prefer to use them on my computers and not on my TV. Maybe it's just me, but the next AppleTV update should concentrate on a couple of stuff, that are currently not present or not working well on the current model:
  • Make streaming from iTunes work reliable
  • Simplify the UI to make accessing your library easier. Create an app section where you can access your apps..
  • Provide Ultra-HD support. Yes, I know, many people do not use 4K TV sets, but the technology is out there and 4K is fantastic! Even if you use it to upscale existing content, it looks much much better than ordinary FullHD TVs...
  • Provide support for local and remote storage. It would be great to stream directly from my Synology, or my Dropbox

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I touch too much of my stuff already ... and now i have a touch remote ?

Everyone wants separate channels they pay for. but wait..... don't we have that now ? just not from Apple ?

If Apple refuses to have unbundled channels, then why subscribe ? Their are plenty of other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: scapegoat81

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I am not entirely convinced that such a device will be more useful from what exists out there already.
For games people use consoles and the new AppleTV will certainly not be as good in gaming as a PS4 or an XBOX. For streaming content there are so many options currently, that I do not see the point in having another one..

As far as apps concern, I prefer to use them on my computers and not on my TV. Maybe it's just me, but the next AppleTV update should concentrate on a couple of stuff, that are currently not present or not working well on the current model:
  • Make streaming from iTunes work reliable
  • Simplify the UI to make accessing your library easier. Create an app section where you can access your apps..
  • Provide Ultra-HD support. Yes, I know, many people do not use 4K TV sets, but the technology is out there and 4K is fantastic! Even if you use it to upscale existing content, it looks much much better than ordinary FullHD TVs...
  • Provide support for local and remote storage. It would be great to stream directly from my Synology, or my Dropbox
It would also be good if it could play content from NAS. It would be great if it could play content from an external hard drive which is plugged into an AirPort Extreme. Currently, the closest thing would be a Raspberry Pi iTunes Media Server running RPIForkedDaapd, and that has to be updated occasionally because it breaks whenever a new version of iTunes is released.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I'll keep adding this comment to the apple tv discussions. HDMI Passthrough please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.