Apple Plans to Ditch Intel and Use Custom Mac Chips Starting in 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

Windows running and the software running are completely different.

2. firewood macrumors 604

The iPad Pro with the A12X already includes (at least) 8 ARM CPU cores. 4 of those ARM CPU cores already rival the single thread performance of x86 CPU cores included in the majority of Windows laptops. That's without Apple having (yet publicly?) optimized an ARM core and chip package for the thermal envelope of a laptop, desktop, or compute server. There's lots of headroom for Apple's chip designers to exploit.

3. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Uhhh... You do realize that Microsoft is ALSO trying to move to ARM, not just for clients, but also servers. So you will have no issues running Windows.

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You will not be able to run any existing Windows apps, though, which is the whole reason why anyone uses Windows in the first place.

--Eric

5. cmaier macrumors G4

Not true. They use windows because they enjoy pain.

6. Mars56 Suspended

Win 10 is absolutely effortless and nice. I prefer OSX for my music and work computers, but my little gaming addiction is being well fed on an Win 10 PC that has had almost zero issues so far.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

So, you use Windows for the games. As I said. The point being, nobody runs Windows for the sake of running Windows; you can't really do much with just the OS. Therefore, running ARM Windows is not particularly interesting or useful, at least until there are ARM Windows apps. (Or good x86 emulation, with fast enough ARM chips to make up the difference, which seems unlikely.)

--Eric

8. cmaier macrumors G4

Lol. Win 10 is a **** show. Preferences are divided into like five different places, with three different window styles.

9. Mars56 Suspended

I disagree. It's an extremely stable OS that runs the stuff I want in a very nice and solid way. Preferences/System Settings are still easy enough to find, if it's one step more than it takes for OSX on my Mac's, whatever, it just does not matter as I don't touch those settings anywhere frequently enough to care - that goes for both, my macs and my PC.

10. chatin macrumors 6502a

chatin

The price / performance ratio makes the ARM platform irresistible for device makers. The community model has squeezed all the inefficiencies out of design and marketing.

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

This part was hilarious. Apple was still selling MBPs with Haswell chips (2014) until late 2016 at a time when Skylake chips were at least 6 months old.
    Did Tim Cook write this article?

12. Bacillus, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

What makes it even more hilarious, a switch to Intel now, 4 years later as a sole modem supplier, after the Qualcomm debacle. Cookette learning curve !

13. cmaier macrumors G4

It’s a great OS for people with bad taste.