Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to boost its advertising business through a new ad slot on the App Store search page which will allow developers to promote their apps across the entire platform, rather than just when users search for a specific app, according to a new report from the Financial Times.

app-store-search-ads-2.jpg

Apple already boasts an App Store advertising business where it allows developers to pay for the top result spot when users search for a specific app on the platform. Apple says these ads are "an efficient and easy way to help people discover your app at the top of App Store search results," and now the company wants to expand on it.

According to the Financial Times, citing people familiar with the matter, the company plans to roll out a second ad slot within the App Store, but this time directly within the Search page, by the end of the month. The new ads will appear alongside the current "Suggested" section on the page and will be visible to users across the whole platform.

The report lacks specific details on the mechanism behind the new ad slot. For example, Apple's current search ads include careful features that ensure smaller developers can bid and pay for ads and not get dominated by large developers and corporations. The new ad slot comes as the advertising industry is bracing for impact from the fallout of the upcoming iOS and iPadOS 14.5 update.

Beginning with the new update rolling out to users next week, apps will be required to ask for users' permission to access their IDFA or identifier for advertisers. By accessing the IDFA, developers can track a user's activity across other apps and websites, even those owned by different companies, to provide personalized ads to users.

The new requirement, called App Tracking Transparency, has received heavy criticism from companies such as Facebook, who are concerned that the new requirement will result in a majority of users opting out of ad tracking. A large portion of Facebook's business comes from selling ads across its platform, and ATT could cut into its revenue by making it harder to provide personalized, relevant ads to users.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Expand Ad Visibility in App Store

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This is the same as Google "selling your data" to advertisers for those that say Google is selling your data.

"Selling your data" means targeted ads not directly giving your data to advertisers.

Exactly and Apple already does it today. I can already target App Store Ads by "gender, age, country, device, device language, REGION, returning users" etc.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Yep. Apple cares about privacy because they want your info all to themselves. Never forget apple sees you as one click away from buying from them. And only them if they can help it. You are the product.

It’s hilarious. People rail about Facebook and how apple is looking out for them. And then apple turns around and does the same to you. We care about your privacy says apple. Oh here’s an ad to watch some garbage on atv+.

SBlue1

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
This is the same as Google "selling your data" to advertisers for those that say Google is selling your data.

"Selling your data" means targeted ads not directly giving your data to advertisers.
There is a difference between targeted ads and tracking across all the web and making a profile of you on all the data mining companies.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
You see advertisements in physical stores and online webshops too, so why not in an App Store? As long as Apple keeps the ads only in the AppStore and don't expand them to other build-in apps I really don't mind.

How many times a day do you use the App Store?

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
Apple uses demographics data from a user’s Apple ID (including user age, their interests, what apps have been downloaded from the App Store before, and more) to enable App Store Search Ads targeting. This targeting is enabled by default which seems rather hypocritical.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
I really hate this. It’s only a nuisance, and it helps users in no way, in my opinion. Maybe they should include the benefit of no ads for subscribers of Apple One.

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
Apple should never even have ads in the app store in the first place.
I buy iOS because of the clean, ad-free experience. Otherwise, iOS would just be like Samsung's OS, littered with intrusive ads and a pain to use.

So they have like 30-40% profit margins on iPhones, then they grab 15-30% of app sales, and thats not enough? I mean, if i spend one grand on goddamn phone, i kinda expect it not to try to dump ads on me.

groundedUX

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2018
So far, as I read this, there are 14 comments against ads out of 20 comments. For quick research that’s pretty significant quantity against.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
There should never be any ads or ways to pay to be placed ahead of anyone else in the App Store! Apple has gone to the dark side. Why can’t we just stop all the ads? It’s getting to the point where ads are so prolific you have to ignore everything and not buy anything.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Don’t like this at all. Ads are not indicative of good/interesting/original apps, only of who has enough money to throw around. I feel like if we pay for iCloud and/or any other Apple service we should have the ability to hide these.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
So far, as I read this, there are 14 comments against ads out of 20 comments. For quick research that’s pretty significant quantity against.
It’s because few people commenting are developers. Developers want the ads so they can market their apps.
Remember, MacRumors commenters are an extremely biased sample of Apple users. They are not representative of Apple users.
/Am not a developer.

Reactions: ksec
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.