Apple Plans to Launch Fitness Subscription Service

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch a fitness subscription service, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, as part of an upcoming "Apple One" subscription service bundle.

Icons representing some of the exercises in the fitness subscription service

The service would offer virtual fitness and workout classes via an app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. This would rival existing virtual classes services provided by Nike and Peloton. Peloton shares reportedly dipped 4.7 percent in early Thursday trading after the report was published, while Apple was up just less than one percent. The fitness service is expected to be bundled with other Apple subscription services in Apple One.

In March, MacRumors discovered a new fitness app hidden within iOS 14 code for iPhone, Apple Watch, and Apple TV, titled with the codename "Seymour." The app was found to be separate from the existing Activity app. Gurman has today confirmed the identity of the "Seymour" app discovered by MacRumors as the upcoming fitness subscription service. The app may be named "Fit" or "Fitness" when released.

MacRumors found that the app will offer a wide range of activity types, including indoor running, cycling, rowing, stretching, core training, strength training, outdoor walking, dance, and yoga. The app is designed to let users download guided fitness-related videos that will walk them through various workouts and activities. Apple Watch appears to be used in the app to track progress through each workout routine, similar to how Apple Watch can track existing fitness activities through the Activity app.

The new fitness subscription service and accompanying app is likely to launch alongside Apple One in October.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Launch Fitness Subscription Service

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Yeah nice, but how is it going to compete against the plethora of equivalent free services on the App Store?

I hope Apple One can be customizable, all I want is Apple Music + iCloud, I don't need News nor Apple TV+, I get them for free and don't even use them.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Finally, this will be my motivation to get in shape. They should make macOS and iOS subscription services while they’re at it, not paying a monthly or annual fee to use something makes me feel sick to my stomach because I’m not supporting the developers. I just want them to know how much I love them.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I think what would be fantastic is a TV series following a HUGE apple fanboy that is connected and has every apple device and every service offered. You can watch him in reality tv format exercising, watching tv, working, playing, ...

To show how complete the package really is. Then, at the end of the episode the credits list the cost of doing this each day...

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2020
It should be free and included with an Apple Watch. Instead of separately charging customers, Apple should devote the effort into improving the capabilities of the Apple Watch, for example make the watch able to coach the user and offer fitness videos on their iphone.

This is a rip off; and more customers will buy the apple watch if the fitness coaching capabilities increase.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Even with all the free stuff out there, I pay for the peloton app. 12.99/month and a $300 spin bike and I'm in better shape during the pandemic than I was before.
I do My Fitness App to watch my diet and tweak what I eat or shouldn't eat (would get to sugar goal by noon, each day, easily. Had to cut that out.).

It's 85% eating right and much, much less.

I have a Garmin that has .12 / .12, .15 / .12, .18 / .12, .21 / .12, ... walk run distance on repeat (bad knee, can't run long distances anymore). Move up the set of running longer every 2 or 3 weeks to continue challenging yourself.

Fast from last meal (try to make it by 6:30) to first meal (12 noon or 1 pm). Makes eating seem like you are over eating because the window is smaller.

Personal mp3 player with Koss Porta Pro or Sennheiser HD25s (earbuds don't stay in my ear. None of them.) to play loudly to get my mind off how much I'm struggling during each exercise session.

Not free or a monthly subscription but works. It really works.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
It should be free and included with an Apple Watch. Instead of separately charging customers, Apple should devote the effort into improving the capabilities of the Apple Watch, for example make the watch able to coach the user and offer fitness videos on their iphone.

This is a rip off; and more customers will buy the apple watch if the fitness coaching capabilities increase.
Yeah just like Peloton gives away their fitness programs to improve their $2,000 bike right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.