Apple Plans TV Adaptation of Gregory David Roberts' Novel 'Shantaram'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following yesterday's news that Apple is partnering with producer J.J. Abrams on a show called "Little Voices," Variety today reports that Apple has now landed the TV adaptation rights to Gregory David Roberts' 2003 novel "Shantaram."

Multiple parties were said to be interested in purchasing the rights to adapt the novel as a dramatic series, leading to Apple's win in a "competitive situation."

Shantaram is a fictional novel based somewhat on Roberts' real life, and focuses on a character named Lin, a convict who flees an Australian prison and disappears into the city of Bombay.

Once in India, Lin's journey takes him through a hidden society of soldiers, gangsters, and criminals, all while figures from his life in prison hunt him down.

Previous plans for Shantaram had Joel Edgerton in the starring role of a feature film, but plans have now shifted into a television series. The show will be produced by Paramount Television and Anonymous Content, which also own the rights to the sequel novel called "The Mountain Shadow."

"American Hustle" screenwriter Eric Warren Singer will serve as the showrunner and executive producer of the new Apple series. Singer also worked on "The International", "Only the Brave", and wrote the script for the upcoming sequel "Top Gun: Maverick."

Article Link: Apple Plans TV Adaptation of Gregory David Roberts' Novel 'Shantaram'

2. macrooster Suspended

T. Cook once again focusing on anything but innovation.

3. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I’ve had this book on my ‘To Read’ stack for so long!
    Think I’ll start reading it soon so I can picture the characters before they’re depicted in televisual form.

This is great - so far I’m interested in nearly every show Apple are said to be readying.

4. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Actually sounds interesting. The only show on their list I'm cautiously excited about.

5. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Maybe they should release anything of their other 2 billion projects first to see if they're actually capable of doing original series.

6. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Really enjoyed this novel. In audio format (over 40 hrs!). Better to have it made into a TV series than to try cramming that into a 2 hour movie...

7. citysnaps, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

citysnaps macrumors 601

Apple will spend $14B on R&D in fiscal 2018. Has Mr. Cook revealed to you how that's being allocated within Apple, leading to your conclusion about innovation?

8. alex00100 macrumors 6502

I think his point was that those 14B is less than 10% of what apple spends overall, with much of the rest going to stuff like this, that no one here cares about.

9. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

In 2017, Amazon spent more on r&d than Apple. What do you think about that?

10. needsomecoffee macrumors member

needsomecoffee

R&D Spending Last fiscal year is below. Apple's R&D investment significantly lags the leaders Amazon & Alphabet. They are behind in key areas relative to other tech companies, and chose to buy back $100 Billion in stock with the recent tax windfall. The buy back is especially worrisome.

In Billions:
    16.1 - Amazon
    13.9 - Alphabet
    12.7 - Intel
    12.3 - MSFT
    10.0 - Apple

11. Kaibelf, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018

Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Because Apple and all it’s employees can only do one thing at a time? I suppose diversification is a foreign concept, as well as recurring revenue.

12. Jolly-boo macrumors member

I'm not always a fan of books that don't have a particular aim from the beginning, but I enjoyed this book. A foreigner's perspective on Indian culture.

Let it be a 10-13 episode 1 season series though.

13. Rogifan, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What is included in those numbers? Do they all classify R&D spending the same way?

14. citysnaps, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

citysnaps macrumors 601

"Amazon spent more on r&d than Apple."

Yeah. So?

"What do you think about that?"

I dunno... two different companies with different needs, and different priorities with respect to profits, etc.

I don't, but perhaps you have inside insight/knowledge about the two very different companies that for the most part provide very different products and services, leading you to draw some conclusions.

Do you feel Apple is not spending enough on R&D? If so why? Be specific. I hope your answer is not simply, "Amazon spends more!"
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---

Apple will spend $14B on R&D in fiscal 2018. How does that compare with Amazon? You may not be aware Apple and Amazon are two very different companies with different products/services and objectives.

How much should Apple spend on R&D? Be very specific on the amount and reasons why, and how those R&D dollars should be allocated among Apple's different internal research efforts.

15. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

Money spent on R&D is not the same as effective R&D.

The only way you can tell is the results. How is the Mac doing? Siri? iPad? Level of bugs in the OS?

If you are not satisfied with the output, you have a case. Then again if wanted to be narky you could look at R&D as a proportion of profits of all those companies.

16. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I like this "TV for smart people" thing that's going on. Mainstream TV is nothing but both real and fictional cops shooting people.

17. citysnaps, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

citysnaps macrumors 601

Of the Macs that I own, I currently use three, a 2017 MBP, a 2015 5K iMac, and a 2013 MBA. They all work fine without issue and are a joy to use. With respect to Siri, it does what I want it to do, which is mostly interfacing with Apple Music and HomePod (I absolutely do not want a so-called digital assistant hooked into google 24/7).

My iPads have been working issue-free for years. They're also a joy to use. And with respect to MacOS, no complaints. It works every time I use it, without issues.

I also thoroughly enjoy using HomePod, usually 3-4 hours a day. Can't wait to buy another now that AirPlay 2 is out.

And my AirPods? Totally brilliant. Love them. Especially on phone calls.

I guess that makes me satisfied. Not stoked about the OLED display on my iPhone X. But that's the only Apple nit I have.

18. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Lack of knowledge is your enemy.
    If no one cares about it, no one will watch and they will lose money.

Or, you could read the other posting and see that, yes. People do care about it. Most people learn at a young age, just because you don't care about something; does not mean others will not.

19. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

There’s too much tv being made!

I’ve still got to watch ‘Breaking Bad’.

Could someone just hit the pause button on making new shows until I’ve caught up with things?

This is stressing me out!

20. gwaizai macrumors regular

gwaizai

sounds better than Little Voices, at least promising some action and adventure in an exotic world.

21. torob macrumors newbie

I wonder where these shows are going to appear? Will it be a new app? Or in the Apple TV app? Will it be a part of our Apple Music subscription or a additional cost? And when....???!

Haha so many questions :eek:o_O

22. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'm thrilled with my Mac. Siri is ok for my needs and Apple is spending lot's of time and energy on improving it. I could hardly be more thrilled with my I pad. It does everything I need and more and is a joy to use. There are bugs in all software, nice thing about Apple is they are constantly squashing them with rapid and frequent upgrades. I'm not bothered by any current bugs. I am one more of millions and millions who are not just satisfied, but thrilled with the out-put. It's probably why Apple gear is always regarded as one of the best companies in the world to do business with.

Only a MacRumors user could try to make spending 10 BILLION in R&D and try (fail) to turn it into a bad thing.

sigh.

Oh well, I won't be reading your posts anymore.

23. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Care to mention some tech company that is innovating more than Apple? Careful, your answer will probably make you look like a foolish troll.

24. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

25. celticgrid macrumors newbie

celticgrid