Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWATT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
I used it a lot when I first got 7+ but forgot about it until brought up that it was likely being removed in future models. I just confirmed a Facebook friend request from my lockscreen, that is the coolest **** ever to me. I think it especially comes in handy with the lockscreen as it barely is a shortcut for opening portions of most apps.

Maybe if y'all promoted it more, we would remember to use it. Done.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
You can get the same functionality without the actual 3D Touch technology though. Long press works just as well.

Long press is different.

I agree with the OP. I use 3D Touch all the time. I’d be very unhappy if it went away.

EDIT: go to the feedback page and tell Apple to keep it. I did.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Last edited:

JWATT

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
It's the same thing but without a 3D touch sensing layer. You just long press an icon and you get the same list as you would with 3D touch. It's what Android does.
How do you long press? I'm not understanding how it's different.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Agreed. I hope they get rid of the 3D Touch hardware and replace it with more battery capacity
That would be a minuscule trade off. What apple needs to do if they want to add battery capacity is stop making their phones so thin. Adding some thickness would give us more battery life and no camera bump.

Reactions: Nocaster

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
3d touch is gone and thank God it's a glorified long press with haptic feedback...it's completely unnecessary tech that adds to the cost of manufacturing an iPhone..apple for once admitting they got it wrong.

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
I think many forget the application of 3D Touch in gaming, I’m assuming it’s a widely used in that realm? A strong example is steering sensitivity determined by your left and right thumb pressure on the screen in “Impossible Road”... I want to keep 3D Touch, stripping that layer of input seems like it would leave a lot of people stranded that use it and in many cases forget that they are using that function, becoming a useful way to shortcut to things.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
3D Touch still has the potential to add useful functionality that can't be reproduced any other way, in games for example, even if a simple long-press can replace it some of the time.

Getting rid of it has no benefit to the product, and Apple likely won't be passing on the cost savings to the consumer either (case in point: an iPhone XR without 3D Touch in 2018 costs $100 more than an iPhone 6s with 3D Touch in 2015).

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
3D Touch still has the potential to add useful functionality that can't be reproduced any other way, in games for example, even if a simple long-press can replace it some of the time.

Getting rid of it has no benefit to the product, and Apple likely won't be passing on the cost savings to the consumer either (case in point: an iPhone XR without 3D Touch in 2018 costs $100 more than an iPhone 6s with 3D Touch in 2015).
Honestly, don’t think Apple will get rid of it. Now, it’s just a feature to upsell on more expensive devices for ppl like me who want the 3D Touch.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The only thing I use 3D touch for is to turn on the flashlight from lock screen in my IPhone X and now my XS Max. I’m sure they could figure out another way

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
What's this "Haptic Touch" supposed to be? & is it able to do everything 3D Touch does??
Presumably that it supports the haptic feedback (the slight shudder it makes when 3D Touching on something) using the iPhone's Taptic Engine introduced alongside 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s, but with long-presses instead of 3D Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.