Apple, please fix your software. For iOS 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Reach9, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

150 million people disagree with you (or that guy in the video).

3. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I thought 118 people disagreed with him?

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I stopped watching the rant when the commentator started going on about true multitasking.... If Apple needs to fix something, then my vote would be for the syncing of to-do items from iCal.

5. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

That tired "true multitask" complaint.. It does fine for what it is, a smart phone.

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

For specifically the iPad, the standard apps are fresh. But, they need to improve Safari (tabs), Mail (colours, bold, italics etc. when sending and attachements - perhaps a file system) and Maps (directions).

Also, the home screen needs a dramatic overhaul (widgets), so does the lockscreen (perhaps alongside the new notifications) and of course, a notification redesign.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What is it about Youtube videos that make me hate the people making them? If he'd written all that down I might have agreed with a lot of it. But presented in this form it makes him seem like a huge d-bag.

Probably because it makes it sound less like "analysis" and more like "whining."

8. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

The man speaks the truth. But unlike the thread starter, I don't have high hopes for iOS 5. And if that's the case, Android will crush iPhone. Yesterday, I saw what they can do and I want to bash my iPhone. It's getting more difficult to jailbreak iPhone's anyway.

9. Reach9, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I know where you're coming from.

But from the looks of it he's on a popular tech channel on YouTube i guess it could sound a lot like whining when he was complaining.

Still, i agree with him in every point except the widgets.
    I really hope Apple makes use of the A5 Dual Core processor and the really nice GPU to make the most out of iOS 5.

I just feel like Apple has their hardware down fine, but not their software.
    And iOS 5 could be a disappointment since Apple is also focusing on Mac OS X Lion release as well.
    I might actually switch to Android for the first time if iOS 5 doesn't deliver.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think they focused on the hardware with the i4 and that this year it'll be the software that knocks our socks off.

I honestly have very high expectations for iOS 5.

11. patp Guest

android is always an option for people who are unhappy with iOS. :D

12. huskerchad macrumors regular

He should talk less like a college TV sports douche if he wants to be taken seriously.

He talks a lot about the user experience but the only valid point he brings up is the notification system (which, yes, bites).

End users complaining about the multitasking model is dumb. It's fully pre-emptive multitasking. Apps do not just run endlessly in the background, no, but it's "real" multitasking. If he thinks the model impacts the user experience, he should say how. As it is, this complaint makes no more sense than saying, "I wish they would implement mark-and-sweep garbage collection to improve my user experience."

13. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Don't "bash" you iPhone, give it away to someone who will be happy to use it and enjoy your new Linux (ooops..., I mean Android) phone, tablet, food processor. :rolleyes:

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Really? How did you surmise this?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is all about choices and if an iOS device doesn't meet your needs then you should look at something else.

16. bwrairen macrumors 6502

The same people that are whining wanting widgets will be the ones on here whining about the reduced battery life. Your facebook widget that polls a server every 15 seconds (just to tell you that the guy you didn't really like in high school and haven't spoken to 7 years just flushed the toilet) is going to cost you battery life.

I took the bait and switched to Sprint and picked up my evo on launch day (June). I was back to the iPhone in November. I liked many things about it, but I quickly learned that the number of widgets on the home screen impacted battery life as much as anything.

17. huskerchad macrumors regular

Oh Praise Jesus, I was hoping he would finally get that toilet to flush!

18. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Lol widgets would be the worst upgrade. I highly doubt we'll be seeing them on iOS 5, but a revamped iOS with UI changes and with a killer notification system would be perfect.

19. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree about better notification system and lockscreen. Maybe even about widgets as long as their not like Android.

But changing the fundamental UI of iOS ("new" homescreen) just for the hell of it would be a big mistake and really misses the forest for the trees. And "true" multitasking? C'mon man. That's been done to death, but useful for my finishing point...

You have to pick your market(s), then hit them square where you need to. Apple has done just that in the smartphone market, by picking the biggest part of that market (mainstream "users", not geeks) and delivered a product they would buy, and still buy, in outrageous quantities.

So what Apple does in the future with new features and improvements will be designed to deliver that result, to that market segment.

20. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Notifications and the lock screen, yes, room for improvement. But the other stuff he says is little more than, one guys opinion about stuff he does or doesn't care about. And some of it didn't even make sense.

21. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

The grass is alway greener on the other side... Frist off I HATE when I hear people say "true multitasking". IMO the iPhone multitasking for the most part is the best multitasking for smartphones the only thing to add to it is to be able to kill all the apps at onces instead of removing them one at a time. Why do I want a game to be running in the background draining the battery?

Apple should be improving the notification system in iOS 5. They hired the guy who made WebOS notification system last year.

IMO iOS 5 and the iPhone will be big upgrades

22. Shoot macrumors regular

1. safari has this
    2. fair enough
    3. there is a filesystem, admittedly sandboxed to each app and accessible through itunes but thats for very good reasons, you want to make sure apps dont mess with other apps data.
    4. Maps currently does directions.
    5. yeah id like to see a new notification system.

23. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Then don't use the Facebook widget. There are also widgets which run offline. Like calendar, like notes, like photos. I honestly think that iPhone's lock screen is way too simple and way uncustomizable. At least give me the option to display only the time or only the date, etc...

Anyway, I agree on online widgets. They are useless, I wouldn't touch them either.

24. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Initially there was a lot of low-hanging fruit in the way of security exploits to get into the system and jailbreak it. Now that the OS has matured a bit, the low-hanging fruit is gone. Instead it is at the game of cat and mouse where the jailbreakers have to find and then keep exploits secret in order to carry the jailbreak forward.

I'd say that it has gotten harder when the latest baseband is still uncracked from the perspective of the average user 4 months after release.

And the worst part is Apple can't simply say "Well, we give up, and will let you jailbreak it", because those security exploits are security holes that can be used maliciously as well. The real solution would be to open up the platform a bit more and isolate the system from the user-level stuff... but then again, the jailbreakers are wanting to modify the system itself most of the time, and thus the quandry.

25. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I mean real tabs, like so:
    [​IMG]

What I'm talking about is that you can download something from Safari and attach it to an email. Or, you can edit a movie on one 3rd party app, render it out and then use another 3rd party app to edit it even more. (Some apps keep their stuff to themselves - i.e. not put it in "Videos" - where all 3rd party apps can "reach").

I mean real directions / navigation; like android / TomTom app currently does. So you can find a route (which you can currently do on iOS) and then it supplies turn by turn directions speaking it out etc. Android Maps / Navigation