Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a Podcasts update for creators, introducing follower metrics and other features that are designed to help podcast makers track their audience and monetize their shows.

apple-podcasts-connect-followers.jpg

Under the Analytics tab in Apple Podcasts Connect, creators will be able to view followers per show and track followers across shows. The interface will display new followers gained over the last week, month, 60 days, and all time, plus it will list metrics like time listened.

Apple Podcasts now accepts MP3 files for subscriber audio, in addition to WAV and FLAC files, and creators can customize their subscription banners with promotional messages for channels and shows.

Apple is also introducing a "Jump Start" feature that is designed to allow creators enrolled in the Apple Podcasters Program to request direct guidance from the Apple Podcasts team to help jump start their subscriptions to better monetize their podcasts.

Follower metrics will be available in Apple Podcasts Connect starting next month.

Article Link: Apple Podcast Creators Will Soon Be Able to Access Follower Metrics

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
I don't think I was aware of the podcast subscription program before, even though I'm a semi-regular listener of various Apple-oriented podcasts. Sounds like an awful deal (30% cut, single app on a single platform) compared to Patreon.

Reactions: matthew12

TonyC28

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Well creators, I guess this is cool. But just know that I only follow podcast so they show up in CarPlay because Apple's implementation kinda sucks. But stats are good I guess.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I thought Apple was content handing the podcast market to Spotify and Amazon and letting it become closed ecosystem behind their paywalls?

what’s next? Apple make the podcast app not suck?

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
If you use Overcast as your podcast client, it will also work with CarPlay and it doesn’t do this kind of tracking.
From Overcast Privacy webpage:

Third-party links and content​

Overcast displays links and content from third-party podcast feeds and sites, and downloads podcast files directly from each podcast’s third-party servers. These have their own independent privacy policies, and we have no responsibility or liability for their content or activities.

pauljbax

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005

Apple today announced a Podcasts update for creators, introducing follower metrics and other features that are designed to help podcast makers track their audience and monetize their shows.

apple-podcasts-connect-followers.jpg

Under the Analytics tab in Apple Podcasts Connect, creators will be able to view followers per show and track followers across shows. The interface will display new followers gained over the last week, month, 60 days, and all time, plus it will list metrics like time listened.

Apple Podcasts now accepts MP3 files for subscriber audio, in addition to WAV and FLAC files, and creators can customize their subscription banners with promotional messages for channels and shows.

Apple is also introducing a "Jump Start" feature that is designed to allow creators enrolled in the Apple Podcasters Program to request direct guidance from the Apple Podcasts team to help jump start their subscriptions to better monetize their podcasts.

Follower metrics will be available in Apple Podcasts Connect starting next month.

Article Link: Apple Podcast Creators Will Soon Be Able to Access Follower Metrics
Where do I find "Apple Podcasts Connect"?

iantmcfarland

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2021
Los Angeles
Is is still terrible? I switched over to Pocket Casts after the last big update.
I think so? After regularly listening to podcasts via iTunes and later the dedicated Podcasts app for literally fifteen years, I finally made the switch to Overcast and haven't had a reason to look back since.

Reactions: Tagbert

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
I dont think you understand what your parent was suggesting.
I’m sure that response made sense in your head. The complete silliness of posting a bumper sticker response while living in online and streaming existence Is my point.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
HEY WHAT IF YOU FIXED PODCAST NOTIFICATIONS FOR USERS.
I TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS FOR EVERY PODCAST & GET NO NOTIFICATIONS.
THEN ONE DAY I’LL GET 30.
SINCE THE PODCAST APP LAUNCHED.
How is this possible that they didn’t fix this?

Last edited:
Reactions: TouchedByAl

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Use Overcast…

Thank me later
Tried it for a few months but ultimately ditched it. The syncing is often pretty wonky and it didn't work with a few of the custom podcasts I follow that need authentication. In fact, I haven't found any cross-platform app that works with those other than Apple podcasts. The overcast UI looks like its was stuck in the iOS 7 era and left much to be desired and the lack of a proper Mac version was also frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.