Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this afternoon shared a new ad designed to show off the Portrait Lighting feature on the iPhone X.

Called "Studio in your pocket," the ad features a woman who pulls out her iPhone X and sees an entire studio's worth of lighting equipment pop up around her.

Portrait Lighting, available on both the front and rear-facing cameras of the iPhone X, is designed to allow you to add studio quality lighting effects to your images, either while taking a shot or during the editing process afterwards.

According to Apple, Portrait Lighting uses sophisticated algorithms to calculate how facial features interact with light, allowing the data to create unique lighting effects like Natural Light, Studio Light (lights up your face), Contour Light (adds dramatic shadows), Stage Light (spotlights your face against a dark background), and Stage Light Mono (Stage Light, but in black and white).

Apple has shared several other iPhone X and iPhone 8 videos showcasing the Portrait Lighting feature, including "Portrait of Her," "A New Light," and a video titled simply "Portrait Lighting" that explains how the feature was developed.

Apple has also shared several tutorial videos designed to each iPhone users how to use Portrait Lighting.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Ad Highlighting Portrait Lighting on iPhone X

ncmrnc

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2018

Apple this afternoon shared a new ad designed to show off the Portrait Lighting feature on the iPhone X.

Called "Studio in your pocket," the ad features a woman who pulls out her iPhone X and sees an entire studio's worth of lighting equipment pop up around her.

Portrait Lighting, available on both the front and rear-facing cameras of the iPhone X, is designed to allow you to add studio quality lighting effects to your images, either while taking a shot or during the editing process afterwards.

According to Apple, Portrait Lighting uses sophisticated algorithms to calculate how facial features interact with light, allowing the data to create unique lighting effects like Natural Light, Studio Light (lights up your face), Contour Light (adds dramatic shadows), Stage Light (spotlights your face against a dark background), and Stage Light Mono (Stage Light, but in black and white).

Apple has shared several other iPhone X and iPhone 8 videos showcasing the Portrait Lighting feature, including "Portrait of Her," "A New Light," and a video titled simply "Portrait Lighting" that explains how the feature was developed.

Apple has also shared several tutorial videos designed to each iPhone users how to use Portrait Lighting.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Ad Highlighting Portrait Lighting on iPhone X

:cool: I would probably do the same!

Except I don't have an X exclusive front camera portrait feature on my 8GB iPhone 5C. :oops:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The ad isn't bad, but I simply do have the need nor use portrait lighting at all on my X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The ad isn't bad, but I simply do have the need nor use portrait lighting at all on my X.

I think It’s one of those creative features if you want to use it, but one that likely is more of a marketing piece for the camera, similarly to portrait mode and Live Photos. All interesting camera capabilities, but not something that I resort to using a lot either.

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Hair, frizzy things, fare-skinned people, all of these are problems for Portrait Mode on my X. Complicated backgrounds are out as well.....it just does not do what they advertise it to do. Some settings, it is awesome, others not so much.

fullsizeoutput_2ba3.jpeg This one is good.......

fullsizeoutput_2a0a.jpeg this one is not.....

fullsizeoutput_29f6.jpeg I love this one.....

So, its an OK feature some of the times.....

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Look now you can take selfies where no one can tell where you are!

...but isn't that the entire point of selfies?

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Fire that wedding photographer, cousin Eddie will capture the whole thing on his phone. Seriously folks, if Tim Cook can run a trillion dollar company on a iPad Pro, we no longer need those antiquated "professional" cameras, laptops, workstations and other detritus of that bygone era before the X.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Fire that wedding photographer, cousin Eddie will capture the whole thing on his phone. Seriously folks, if Tim Cook can run a trillion dollar company on a iPad Pro, we no longer need those antiquated "professional" cameras, laptops, workstations and other detritus of that bygone era before the X.

Ha! Although, all that tells me is Tim’s job isn’t as technically difficult as some jobs. Good luck to the engineers designing the next iPad Pro using…only an iPad Pro.

On the other hand, to your point, once iPhones replace cameras, how long until Jony gets to replace the antiquated skeuomorphic camera icon with just a picture of an iPhone? Same for the Ma Bell handset icon. And snail mail iMail icon. o_O

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Can someone explain to me why this feature is exclusive to the X (is it available on the 8?)? What does the X have that the others don't that prevents this from being an iOS/software feature versus an X-only feature? Seems to me this is all done software side. Basically a fancy post-process photo filter they're rendering live to show what it'll look like, a live mask w/ levels adjustment.

Or is this pure marketing, basically disabled on all other phones but the X to make you want to buy the X? If that's the case, shame on them, that's petty.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Wow, so much advertising for a stupid image filter. Really?? Did Apple just invent a filter? LOL!

No.

What Apple did, is create a useful camera mode for people who want to take casual portraits of their friends and family. But don't have the skill and years of experience of a seasoned portraitist, know little about lighting, and lack a set of lights and modifiers.

Some people with a creative spark will understand the above and be happy making portraits. Others not understanding who the feature is intended for, will go out of their way to ridicule and trash Apple because the results won't be up to those produced by Richard Avedon, Sally Mann, and Arnold Newman.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrongArmmed

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
The portrait lighting feature is really good imo. However just like filters it's not something I tend to use unless I'm looking for a specific look. I prefer to shoot stuff without any sort of effects and add them later through editing if I want. The iPhone still has the best camera period. If you want better photos you'll always need a dSLR no matter what. There is really no replacement for a high quality lenses and a decent range of focal lengths.

For most close up and everyday shots, the iPhone is simply good enough. For sports events and concerts, you really need a real camera unless you're right next to the court or stage.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Rumor is that Apple will beta something called "Cathedral Lighting" in the coming months for the iPhone X as an exclusive feature. Rays of light will descend down from the notch and digitally cascade via on board software mapping on a subject's face and body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.