Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I wonder how many iPhone users will not know about this or fill out their info before the deadline. I knew there would be something like that so some owner never would take advantage of it. Now I am just wondering how many orders of Leopard Apple will be shipping for only $29.

craigverse

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Reno, NV
So maybe I'm missing something something but... after I get the text from att saying "Here is your Apple Store credit access code:******" What exactly do I do with it?

Twinsbb17

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I bought my iPhone launch day, activated with a prepaid plan and then cancelled it to use it just as a Web Browser, iPod, Photo Viewer, and Calender. So now it doesn't work as a phone, can I still get this rebate?

If I submitted my info I wouldn't get the text message. Has anyone had any luck calling Apple and getting their rebate?

chp5592

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Said I returned the phone!!

What pain. I am using the phone now! It says

"You may not be eligible.
We show that this iPhone has been returned and is not eligible for the $100 Apple Store credit. For questions, please email Apple at iPhonestorecredit@apple.com. Be sure to include your name, iPhone serial number, the place of purchase (AT&T, Apple Retail Store, or Apple Online Store), the date of purchase and a copy of this entire message. Please see the terms and conditions for more details about
e right now. "

I just wrote them the e-mail with my info and store receipt. Hope they correct this problem. My wife's phone went through fine!!

craigverse

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Reno, NV
Go back to the website you entered your info into and enter that- then print out the credit that shows up.

Thanks, I didn't realize when I had it send the code the page changed and then asked for the code I received instead of my serial.

Now how do I go about tricking it into letting me buy an itunes card something or other.

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

worked great. Did it on the iPhone.... I do not recommend it tho. Gotta print a page. Or write down numbers and keep em.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
very nice and simple to do, as is typical apple style. i was wondering when they'd get around to posting the details, now to go and spend it...

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
Cringely estimates the real cost of the rebate at $25 per phone, which sounds about right. (some won't be redeemed, some people will buy more than $100, and even the $100 is only $50 real cost if an item has a 50% margin.)

I'd thought about that too, but there are cases where this logic wouldn't apply. For example, I was going to buy Leopard anyway. Now, I'll just put this $100 toward it. Regardless of the margin on Leopard, nothing changes that fact that Apple would have gotten an extra $100 from me on the day Leopard is released. Kind of an opportunity cost, if you will.

I hope lots of people who go refunds already had a purchase planned. For the consumer, this is the only way that the $100 credit will be "as good as cash."

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Haha, sweet. I went in the day of the price change to complain and got a $214 gift card. The guy must have mis-typed my serial number because I just claimed an additional $100.

$314 off my iPhone, not too shabby. :apple:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
My life in a dead zone, aka how gonna get a text message??

So.... what, I need to get in the car and drive someplace where there's an ATT tower and try to do this whole gig on the phone itself? will that work? I live in a dead zone so I can't "start the process" from a powerbook hooked up to DSL and expect to get a text message from ATT on my iPhone in the ensuing moments... I live about 35 miles from a good tower. And I have no clue how to know if a text message has arrived on my iPhone or how to get it when it shows up. Doh, life's gonna be full of adventures for this hundred bucks, eh?

I may need to pack up the iPhone and the powerbook associated with it, drive somewhere into an ATT-served zone and beg access to someone's DSL long enough to get this over with. Sometime before it snows.

Well I'm off to the dentist who wants to spend ALL my money on HIS computing equipment, and of course it ain't Apple so I'm grumpy today for the best of reasons.

jinr

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
YOU CAN BUY iTUNES GIFT CARDS

:mad:

Ever since I heard of the credit, I thought "Cool! iTunes store, here I come - time to pick up another hundred songs!" Then I read the terms and conditions:

Customers may not redeem their store credits: (1) at any iTunes Store in the United States or elsewhere, (2) Apple Store locations outside the United States; (3) at Apple resellers; (4) for cash; (5) to purchase Apple Gift Cards, or,iTunes Store Gift Certificates, to give iTunes Store content as gifts, or to create iTunes Store allowances; or (6) as payments on Apple accounts.

Sorry, Apple - but THAT blows chunks.

Apple Gift cards, iTunes Store Gift Certificates and gifts to the iTunes Store are different that iTunes Gift cards. iTunes Store Gift Certificates are customizable throught the online store, store.apple.com. iTunes gift cards are physical cards that allow you to buy things throught the iTunes Music store. thus, you can go buy an iTunes Gift card and get a hundred more songs. so before telling Apple that they blow chunks, try to realize what they're offering.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Haha, sweet. I went in the day of the price change to complain and got a $214 gift card. The guy must have mis-typed my serial number because I just claimed an additional $100.

Well, really, it's more like $100-200ish WORTH of free products (Apple as well as retail markup, remember) more than $314 off your iPhone... but people are not going to be responding to this post positively... fanboys don't like you stealing from Apple. Lol.

hstnprepboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
Houston, TX
Anyone else notice the Bluetooth icon next to the battery meter on the picture of the iPhone at http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/?

welcome_hero_20070913.png

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Can you transfer the $100 to someone, let us say, an individual who is planning a computer purchase in five days?
Just use it to buy a $100 Apple gift certificate.

How ironic, if you're like many, you saw Apple trying to rip you off and, if like most people, you were soooooooooo angry chanting "down with Apple", but now that you rip them off and get double your credit, you're chanting "woo hoo!". Saw this happening a mile away.

The whole "do what I say, not what I do" kind of junk. Now I just can't wait to hear people's justifications.

smcdowell

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Process if Microsoft owned the iPhone

Sweet! 0 to $100 in 2.6 seconds. I love Apple, if this were a Microsoft product you would have to:

1. Call a phone number and spend 30 minutes on hold
  2. Then find out that the person who answered has no freakin’ idea what you are calling about
  3. They would then transfer you to some other division and during the transfer the call would drop
  4. You then have to call back and wait 37 more minutes
  5. Get transferred again
  6. They would then request the original UPC code from the box that phone came in, along with a copy of the receipt and what the exact temperature was in Machu Picchu the day you made the purchase
  7. You would then have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the refund check to arrive
  8. Deposit the check
  9. Then finally make your purchase

This entire iPhone story should be recorded in a text book on how to provide excellent customer service.

Well I’m off to spend my $100.

What will you buy?

S-

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
How ironic, if you're like many, you saw Apple trying to rip you off and, if like most people, you were soooooooooo angry chanting "down with Apple", but now that you rip them off and get double your credit, you're chanting "woo hoo!". Saw this happening a mile away.

The whole "do what I say, not what I do" kind of junk.

I wasn't even upset about the price drop. I read online about my local Apple store giving refunds, and I had a business meeting at a nearby restaurant that afternoon so I figured why not? If Apple is giving away free money I'm certainly not going to turn it down.

Same thing with the $100 offer today, entering my serial took me about 20 seconds, why wouldn't I enter it in just to try?

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.