Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

202215-hero20100127.jpg

Apple has posted the January 2010 media event video stream from today which saw the introduction of the company's much-anticipated iPad tablet device.

- Apple Tablet Media Event Today: "Come See Our Latest Creation"
- Apple Releases iPad Tablet, New SDK, iBooks and iWork Apps
- Hands-On Impressions of Apple's New iPad
- iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking

Article Link: Apple Posts January 2010 Media Event QuickTime Stream

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Woot !! Here is my take.

First off, I have a MBP hooked up to an ACD 20" and I have an iPod Touch (I got for free from a friend).

I purchased the MBP for its portability but found I didn't really want to move it off my desk much and find it a bit cumbersome to take around the house or when i'm hanging out with my family.

The iPod Touch is easier to take around but the small screen size was starting to get to me. I didn't like doing anything on it, but it is nice to just plop into my pocket and have it handy for when I need to look something up or email.

Now, I was looking for something that was more powerful than the Touch but easier to surf , email, watch movies etc wherever I wanted in my house or on trips. I don't need this thing on the go, just need it to be easier to handle in my house than moving my MBP.

The iPad fits my purpose here, my other option was the Air. Considering the price difference and since I already have a MBP, the iPad might be exactly what i'm looking for. I don't need the iPad, I would just like to have it.

I'll probably just get the 16gb version and just move content on and off (in conjunction with my MBP 320gb HD). I don't see spending $100 for 16gb more of storage.

PROS:

Great portability for surfing the web, watching movies, music, pictures, reading books.
IPS screen (nice)
Decent size compared with my Touch.
Easier to move around than my MBP
Looks pretty fast.
$500 isnt too bad of a price
Apps being developed for the iPad should be promising
Wifi (all I need, i'm only using it in my house or at work or wifi spots, i'm not paying for any more service, plus i'm not gonna be walking the streets with this thing)
Gaming - should be better than on the touch/phone. I personally don't play too many games anymore.
Nice battery (10 hours)

CONS:

Won't replace my MBP (lucky I have one already) Its a complement to your main computer.
Where is the flash ? Won't that become an issue with truly taking advantage of all content on the web?
No camera (probably in next revision)
Minimal storage unless you go for the $700 version (not happening, i'll just have to swap content in and out)
Sort of like an iPod Touch (however, I didn't pay for my touch so I have the money saved for this device)
You depend on the Apps. Hopefully they will be better for the iPad (catering more to its screen size and power)
Some might need to purchase another 3G service
Cost could be an issue to some for the higher storage.
No multitasking (WTF !)

Overall, I can handle $500 for what I need this device to do. I think it will nice to have it around the house and use it on trips or at work during break. I have a MBP so I don't need another computer or to have it replaced, just something to complement the things I do.

I'll be honest, I was not too impressed. I still see it as a larger iPod Touch. I know its better etc, but if you break it down, its a touch with some more ability and potential.

If your ok with the pros and cons, then I say purchase it. If you were looking for something greater, consider just getting a Macbook or MBP. Its as simple as that.

Cheers

Comment

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
It does what I need it to do... *goes and plays the Jizz in my pants video*

Comment

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Woo, video of the $500 TMZ and Perez Hilton surfing device. iPad =/ USB, multitask, handwriting, flash.

Comment

brianj1400

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Stream won't play ...anyone else"

My stream has been trying to connect for 15 min. Tried low, med and high to no avail. Even did a reboot.

Any ideas???

Comment

kddpop

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
apple TV?

im waiting to see this on my big HDTV via TV.
anyone know how long it takes for them to post these keynotes to the "keynotes" podcast?

Comment

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Anyone know how to find the dl link from Apple of this event video? Is it from the podcast which should be posted later, or some other source?

Comment

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
direct download please?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Anyone know how to find the dl link from Apple of this event video? Is it from the podcast which should be posted later, or some other source?

should be a direct akamai link

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Who cares about the stream now? What a truly disappointing huge iPod touch device.

Why are you here then? If you don't care, don't look inside this thread and post. Why are you wasting your time?

People want to watch the stream in its full for their own reasons. They don't care what you think or feel about it.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I got what I wanted: a bigger-screen iPod Touch, for use at home and for 90% of my laptop outings. Apple’s great touch interface looks like it works amazingly well with larger-size apps and games.

I didn’t expect it would be cheap enough to actually get the thing I wanted, though. $599 for 32 GB will do great for me, and even 16GB is enough for most people.

I was hoping to learn more about the next-gen iPhone OS (4.x?) but I guess that was not the focus of this event.

Comment

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
My stream has been trying to connect for 15 min. Tried low, med and high to no avail. Even did a reboot.

Any ideas???

No idea, mine isn't working either :confused:

I have a question though, now that we have the iPad, is there going to be an "iPad" tab up there next to the "iPhone" tab?

Comment

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Oh,

Steve still looks frail and thin. Definitely has lost a lot of energy. I can't help thinking that he is sitting on the chair because he can't stand that long.

btw. The iPad will do very well.

s.

Comment

sirsky

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
iPod..er..iPad What?!

Who cares about the stream now? What a truly disappointing huge iPod touch device.

What's funny is Steve Jobs actually CALLS the iPad an iPod at 29:30ish on stage at the Keynote: "So that's a little bit of an overview of the iPOD's hardware."

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some people think the iPhone/iPod Touch is the reason you don’t want something like this.

For me, the iPhone is what made me know I do. It works great—now make it bigger (and faster, with more battery life).

At home it will replace my iPhone/iPod for gaming and surfing, which I do a ton of. On the go it will replace my bulkier laptop for the things I do most of the time.

Not everyone can make do with a tablet instead of a laptop (I’m keeping my Air for sure). But a whole lot of people can—and will find it more usable, in fact.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.