Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Had that been the case, it would be destined to fulfill the role of the proverbial "nail in the coffin."
I have some feeling that Apple isn't going to back down from the iPad but it's going to take a lot of pain, money, and loss of mindshare to get what they want.

Then again it can go all AppleTV on us.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I have some feeling that Apple isn't going to back down from the iPad but it's going to take a lot of pain, money, and loss of mindshare to get what they want.

Then again it can go all AppleTV on us.

Hopefully not - a merging of the MacMini and :apple:TV would likely have propelled it further.

iPad seems to be represent a base line for a potentially streamlined, fully featured, mobile device. I imagine that even at this beta stage, a new sector of consumers will take great interest.

It can only get better, from where it is now, IMO.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Apple's Edsel

Well, the good news is that the impending colossal failure of the iPad will create a buying opportunity for Apple stock. Apple was a very strong company before the iPad and will recover from the failure just fine and the stock will eventually recover. In the meantime, the inevitable market panic when the iPad fails should temporarily drop the stock to bargain prices.

And that's really about the only good thing I can think of to say about the iPad.

GratefulGeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Bartlett, IL
Just give me something to write with and it is all good...

This is gonna be perfect for school, No more carrying around an entire notebook to take a page worth of notes and reading my e-books (i bought all e-book versions). This is what i have been waiting for.. thank god i didnt buy a joojoo....

THIS is where Apple should be positioning the device. But for students, the price point is a bit high. Otherwise, this is a revolutionary application for the product.

I absolutely expected this to be more student oriented but you need to be able to write on it for it to truly be useful. I want to open my ebook and take notes by hand, on the other half of the page. Did ya ever try to type calculus, physics or linear algebra? Not an easy task. I want to go paperless and stop having to lug huge books around all day, I was hoping this would fill that need. But, at least this allows me to ditch the books and just carry a notebook and the iPad. I estimate a difference of about 30-40 lbs if I replaced my books and my macBook with this.

Overall I was impressed but not blown away. The gaming is very cool and I was impressed with the iWork, especially at that price. Glad they learned the lesson with the 3g "no contract" deal. I would say they hit a triple with this one.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Its crippled. Excuse it how you may, but how do you explain missing features products below and above it come with standard?

And OF COURSE I judge it on what I want, *I* am the consumer!? Since when did we put apple on such a pedastal that we should take what they give us and LOVE it and NOT DARE want or expect more?

Here is where it boils down - if this thing had a FEW more features, camera, bit more storage...YOU'D STILL COMPLAIN IT'S CRIPPLED. :p

Fixed That. Honestly dude, if you think the iPad cost too much for too little, take a surf over to Amazon and pick up their Kindle which only does one thing well and has a text only browser FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE IPAD. :rolleyes:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Fixed That. Honestly dude, if you think the iPad cost too much for too little, take a surf over to Amazon and pick up their Kindle which only does one thing well and has a text only browser FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE IPAD. :rolleyes:

It's odd, I don't recall much Netizen outrage over Kindle DX features (read: lack thereof) and price.

Ah, the mighty power of the Apple logo to either elate or enrage men's souls...

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
HA! iPad... hahaha!!

I just hope Apple has a change of heart and renames it before they release it. Either name it MacTouch or TouchBook.

iPad isn't working for me.

Is it really that time of the month?

that time of the month! i hadn't been able to figure out why it through me either. the iTampon hahahahahaha!!!!!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's odd, I don't recall much Netizen outrage over Kindle DX features (read: lack thereof) and price.
I'm surprised they didn't drop the price.

Ah, the mighty power of the Apple logo to either elate or enrage men's souls...
Did you watch the keynote?

I watched the iPad promo and I had to shake myself out of its trance. I could feel my higher cognitive functions leaving and accepting the warm embrace of having Apple think for me...

Where am I again?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'm surprised they didn't drop the price.

You mean Amazon? They'll be forced to.

Did you watch the keynote?

Only the part that really caught my attention: native iWork. Not because iWork per se had me intrigued (though I do love me some Keynote), but because I wanted to see how this thing would handled full-fledged, fully-featured apps. Conclusion? SUCCESS!

Much like the iPhone, it's going to be the developers that truly make this device shine.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You mean Amazon? They'll be forced to.
Yeah, Amazon. I should have been clearer on that.

Only the part that really caught my attention: native iWork. Not because iWork per se had me intrigued (though I do love me some Keynote), but because I wanted to see how this thing would handled full-fledged, fully-featured apps. Conclusion? SUCCESS!

Much like the iPhone, it's going to be the developers that truly make this device shine.
iWork stood out and was very necessary.

shipwrecked

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
San Francisco, CA
maybe next time

I was really hoping to take notes in class with a more mobile device such as the iPad. But alas, there's no stylus support. Is this true?? More importantly, it doesn't seem ergonomic for typing while it's flat on a surface...like a desk.

Maybe i'll consider buying the second or third version.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I was really hoping to take notes in class with a more mobile device such as the iPad. But alas, there's no stylus support. Is this true?? More importantly, it doesn't seem ergonomic for typing while it's flat on a surface...like a desk.

Maybe i'll consider buying the second or third version.

Just hop on over to Apples Accessibility page to see two types of stylus that are already compatible with the iPhone and surely will work now with the iPad, just the same. Also there are plenty of Apps (note writing) already to use it with that you can import to your iPad as well.
Helpful if your actually purchasing one, otherwise its all speculation on your part so why fret over something if your not personally going to make use of it, I say.
I know I'm going to make good productive use of the iPad and I have only used the SDK simulator at this point, but am liking it thus far.
:apple:

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
iPad, jack of all trades.... master of none.
Maybe some people have a use for something between their iphone and their macbook, I unfortunately do not and am therefor not impressed.

Hardly surprising - Its not meant for you

I have an iphone, and an imac - its meant for me

Portable workstation and media browser for a smaller footprint/price.

it won't let me edit FC or multitrack record in garageband, but really i can wait till i get home for that.

iphone - iPad - macbook = 1 is barely enough - 2 out of three aint bad - 3 is too much of a good thing.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Not a single USB . I call in iVault...

There is a usb adapter, i think its bundled.

I was really hoping to take notes in class with a more mobile device such as the iPad. But alas, there's no stylus support.

styli available on ebay

More importantly, it doesn't seem ergonomic for typing while it's flat on a surface...like a desk.

or an a4 pad, or a laptop?

Heck even the new mac keyboards are barely 4mm off being flat

grapefruitx

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I think the most important thing they got correct is the price, the rest looks a little "version 1" but as signpost to what is coming remote storage, "cloud computing" on line apps, like Goggle apps and Wave they might have something. the problem is for the moment we don't use our PC's in that way, and if your doing business. the only way to do that is with Power Point and Word and Excel, the small incompatibilities with iWork are a big deal.
The other flaw is if you have to have a phone, and it is to big to cary around as a phone although with a headset and Skype or GPRS, it could do that, and you have to have a laptop, so why would you carry something else.
I like it, i want one as a gadget it looks great, as a must have device, well it isn't and that will be its problem.

shipwrecked

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
San Francisco, CA
The screen and keyboard are on the same screen. This is what I mean when wondering about the ergonomics of the device. It seems like the only way to type comfortably on it is to: have it propped up on your lap or get one of those stands.

Even though, I think the iPad has a lot of potential and people will buy it for sure.

There is a usb adapter, i think its bundled.

styli available on ebay

or an a4 pad, or a laptop?

Heck even the new mac keyboards are barely 4mm off being flat

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
Media Event

The Event Itself
Januarys are just not the same anymore without Macworld. I enjoy a big event that covers all the going-ons of the company. The atmosphere is always electric and when there are multiple upgrades (ie to Macs and software) and the One Last Thing... Can't beat it!

The iPad needed to be a One Last Thing. This type of even doesn't have the same feel at all. Hard to complain about Steve's presentation as his health is clearly not 100%. Schiller is pretty bad but somehow he always amuses us. But Forstall is just a terrible presenter.

Expectations and Reactions
The iPad itself didn't seem to exceed anyone's expectations- but how could it with the insane hype. The overall reaction from what I've seen is that it is currently a very average product. This is a step above from the initial reaction from the first iPod (insert link to 1st Gen iPod thread) which I think is a great start.

iPad Direction
The expectations of the iPad were maybe more geared towards the eBook/education market. It turned out that it is another device that does everything its relatives do (music, video, photos, books). Like Steve showed, it squeezes between the iPhone and the MacBook (look out MacBook sales?).

Books, magazines and education industries have not evolved as our music and movies have. But look how long it took them to be where they are now. We were all maybe expecting an overnight change in the way we read books, magazines and go to school. The iPad is just a big step in their evolution.

Overall Conclusion
Whatever Woz thinks! But in my opinion, it's not going to change our lives... yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.