Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Posts Step-by-Step Guide to Activating 3G Service on iPad Wi-Fi + 3G

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With pre-orders for Apple's new iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models being delivered today and Apple retail stores gearing up for a 5:00 PM start to in-store sales, Apple has posted a new support document offering a step-by-step guide to setting up 3G service for the device through AT&T. The information expands upon a feature posted last month on Apple's iPad site and a fact sheet published by AT&T earlier this week.

The guide provides a series of screenshots to show users the exact process for activating 3G service on their new iPads, from adding contact information and creating a login account to selecting a data plan and entering payment information.

The process also includes a review of the Terms of Service for AT&T, and upon agreement with the terms, displays a payment summary for the activated plan. International data can also be managed through this screen and must be added before leaving the United States.

Once completing the signup process, it may take several minutes for 3G service to be activated, but customers can use their iPad as normal on Wi-Fi and will be notified by an alert once the plan is activated.

Article Link: Apple Posts Step-by-Step Guide to Activating 3G Service on iPad Wi-Fi + 3G

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
I want to know:

1) Can you activate when you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to WiFi?
2) Details of those International plans.

Comment

backyardbrewer

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Got IT!

Just got my 64g iPad WiFi+3G delivered by FedEx!

Only problem I'm at work and the iPad is home-got to sneak our early today.

Comment

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Does unlimited 3G data 29.99 + Skype unlimited US for 5 bucks, plus a blue tooth device = Unlimited Cell Phone with Unlimited Internet and Texting for 35 bucks?

Comment

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
What if you have an existing account for the iPhone - Do you somehow use the same sign-in info with just a new service added, or do you have to set up a whole new account?

Tony

Comment

Maleficent

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Edinburgh
I'm interested to know how to activate the plan without an iPad. I'd like to get one of sim adapters and put it in my iPhone while travelling. Cheap data abroad would be fab, especially for Skype.

Comment

Vinom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Napa, CA
New Account

What if you have an existing account for the iPhone - Do you somehow use the same sign-in info with just a new service added, or do you have to set up a whole new account?

Tony

AT&T stated that this is a whole new account unrelated to any other accounts.

I'm liking that it looks like there aren't any excise taxes in the example… Straight $29.99?

Comment

chindall

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010

Only problem I'm at work and the iPad is home-got to sneak our early today.

I am in the same boot (mine is 32GB WiFi/3G). But its waiting for me at home. I hope my roommates don't get too excited.

Comment

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm interested to know how to activate the plan without an iPad. I'd like to get one of sim adapters and put it in my iPhone while travelling. Cheap data abroad would be fab, especially for Skype.

I wondered the exact opposite. Can I take my iPhone SIM out and put it in the iPad?

Comment

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Yes, can someone please tell if it works if you cut your SIM card into a micro SIM? I hope it does..

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Congrats:) I bought 64gb wifi and I now wish I waited and got 3g:confused:
Enjoy your iPad

I thought about that but with an iPhone I don't really want 2x or 1.5x data costs, even if I can activate only for the month or months I need it. I can always use my phone when I need access or JB it at some point to tether if I really feel it is a must. But the cost of the 64 WiFi was enough. I figure the best solution is WiFi now and maybe 3G or when it comes around 4G/LTE on the next year or two revision. Then I can sell my WiFi or give it to my wife and kids.

iPhone is normal sim
iPad is micro sim

NOT compatible

They make a micro to regular sim adapter.

Yes, can someone please tell if it works if you cut your SIM card into a micro SIM? I hope it does..

Yes supposedly you could do that with your iPhone or other 3G SIM, and then use an adapter for putting it back into your phone. But the question remains whether the iPad would recognize the SIM you modded as having data service since you didn't set it up through the iPad 3G built in dealy-bob.

Comment

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008

Tony

Im hoping someone finds a hack that allows this - jailbroken devices of course, then i would think about buying one.

Comment

Ports

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
I thought about that but with an iPhone I don't really want 2x or 1.5x data costs, even if I can activate only for the month or months I need it. I can always use my phone when I need access or JB it at some point to tether if I really feel it is a must. But the cost of the 64 WiFi was enough. I figure the best solution is WiFi now and maybe 3G or when it comes around 4G/LTE on the next year or two revision. Then I can sell my WiFi or give it to my wife and kids.

Thanks, I agree the cost of 64gb was enough. My wife thought too much!
I am enjoying the wifi iPad just the same. I keep telling myself Be Happy :)

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
That was pretty painless. Other than the $30. :). Only took about a minute to activate.

Comment

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
You can activate it from anywhere you have an ATT signal. There are directions available on how to trim a sim card. My guess is that they are different sizes just for the reasons discussed. So if you cut it down it will work but you can't put it back in your phone. I know how the activation works because this is coming to you from a3G iPad on the 3G network

Comment

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Can 2 iPads share the same 3G plan?

If you have two iPads with Wi-Fi+3G can both of them share the same 3G plan?

Or do you have to pay for 2 separate plans for each iPad?

Marcus

Comment

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland

Jealousy is in the air over in Ireland :(

iPhone is normal sim
iPad is micro sim

NOT compatible

The new rumored iPhone 4 has a micro sim slot.

Marcus

I'm guessing not. If you do get a separate sim card from ATT, it'll only work on one. Same thing as any SIM phone probably.

Jack

Comment

Killer's Dad

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Los Angeles
AT&T stated that this is a whole new account unrelated to any other accounts.

I'm liking that it looks like there aren't any excise taxes in the example… Straight $29.99?

Wanna bet they left the taxes out of the example because every taxing district is different? NEVER assume the government will miss any attempt to tax your behavior.

Comment

Killer's Dad

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Los Angeles

Marcus

Cellular devices have ESNs - Electronic Serial Numbers. The SIM broadcasts that ESN from the device to legitimize the device on the network. Swapping SIMs with two devices will befuddle the network, and may make the SIM unusable with either device.

Comment

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Are there any details yet about those international data plans? This could be a very handy feature, if priced right.

Comment

gront

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
So easy... oh wait, no... it isn't

So creating the cellular data account, it asks you for your telephone number, and "Login Information".

The login information is an email and a password.

Ok, the telephone number, sure, whatever, AT&T Marketing can call my land-line. Could be a billing thing, security, whatever.

But what is the email _and_ password? password for my yahoo email? what? No explanation what this "login information" is...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.