Apple Pre-authorizing cards for something before tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cubsfan, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Cubsfan macrumors member

I just got a text from AmEx's Fraud Department. Today, Apple charged $1 on the card I use for everything iPhone related. Apple doesn't sell anything that's exactly $1, so it can only be a pre-authorization check. Perhaps they are starting to pre-authorize cards for something tomorrow? Interestingly, my account doesn't show the charge yet (probably won't show up until tomorrow).

Of course, the obvious other answer is that someone stole my card number and is buying something from Apple. Hopefully it's not this :)

2. iPaul macrumors regular

They shouldn't preauthorize your card if you haven't initiated a transaction

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If Apple, or any company for that matter, were preemptively checking any card I may or may not have on file before I even thought about buying something then Apple, or whatever company, and I would have a very big problem.

What company do you think charges people, even a dollar, before they release a new product? Where in your book of "ok" does that idea even sit? Are you somehow ok with a charge appearing on your card by Apple because you believe they somehow know you want to buy a product that has not yet been announced? Are you somehow ok with a company authorizing a charge on your card because of something that will be announced say tomorrow but may not be available right away? If you are then I'd like to sell you some beach front property in Idaho.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The people at Apple are smart, but I doubt they are clairvoyant. I suspect it's actually fraud or a computer glitch. Goes w/o saying, but keep an eye on future charges.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

That's a common fraud technique ... someone has your card number ... I'd get a new number.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ It sounds almost as though the OP dismissed it even though Amex Fraud Dept called.

8. Cubsfan thread starter macrumors member

Not at all. Apple unfortunaly can't tell me anything about my account today, so I have no way to verify if they charged me or not. So, all I can do for right now is speculate until they get back to me. Obviously I'm going to keep an eye on my account, and take action if they didn't.

9. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Speculate on a charge from Apple that you did not initiate? I'd be speculating after I got a new card from Amex. It's entirely up to you of course but to me I would not hesitate when it came to such a charge.

11. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Apple did this to me just before my Mobile Me renewal date.

12. Cubsfan thread starter macrumors member

Used to be. Cancelled it in december.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ There's a sound thought actually. I've had stacked codes for 3 years so I wouldn't know, that and I don't store my card for that event to take place. However, that does make some sense.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That actually could be it...they're checking to make sure your card is still good so they can contact you if it isn't and avoid service interruption. Still, it's something you need to look into.

15. noodlelegs macrumors member

OP, by any chance did you order anything from monoprice.com in the last few months?

16. cjthebest macrumors member

That is SO weird that you mention that! I just ordered the 3GS today (for data plan) and was charged like $210 and I see that on my credit card. But there is also a random $1 charge after it from Apple. Does this always happen when you buy an iPhone online?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm with Jessica on this one. Get new card, stop wondering if the old one has been compromised. The bank will be happy to avoid the headache of reversing bigger charges later if that UFO $1 pre-auth was a "test" hit before someone goes about making fraudulent charges. Plastic is cheap, processing fraud reversals is expensive.

18. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

The AmEx fraud department calls all the time, and its never anything.

19. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I've gotten the random $1 charge from Apple as well. I don't really remember what happened with it, though. I was on the MobileMe trail and I think it was around that time, but I am not sure of the actual date.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah a few different times, Citi called when I had ordered a bunch of stuff from Apple online store, most of which was in stock, and shipped on the same day from different warehouses, so my one order turned into multiple same-day transactions from Citi viewpoint I guess. All this for a bunch of little stuff like extra adapters, cases, cables or whatever. Apparently Citi thinks multiple "transactions" in one day means someone hocked your card? But they didn't call me the time someone decided to stick one fraudulent purchase for a couple hundred bucks onto one French website. So that one we later had to go through the paperwork and card cancellation gig. Go figure.

21. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

22. segundo macrumors member

Maybe you were "sleep-ordering" last night on the Apple store? Getting that iPad you've always wanted before the AT&T unlimited wireless goes away?

And . . . go Astros.

23. Dalgarnif macrumors newbie

You don't have to worry about the $1.00 charge as this is standard operating procedure for almost all companies pre-authorising your credit card and is not an indication that your credit card has been stolen or compromised. You will never actually see the amount on your credit card statement and the only reason you are seeing it now is because you are looking at your account on-line. In a day or so it will disappear from the on-line location never to be seen again. Don't take the bad advice of those telling you to close your account and get a new credit card number as this is totally unnecessary.

There are a number of reasons why Apple may be pre-authorising your credit card. Most likely, some subscription or the other that you have with them (eg: MobileMe, iTunes, service contract or whatever) is probably coming up for renewal. It may also be simply that they are testing your current expiration date or other information on file.

If it was someone stealing your information on your card they would more than likely try and charge a real item of low value for an odd amount (McDonalds is a favorite test vendor) and not a company like Apple for an even $1.00.

24. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I just noticed that I have the same thing. I remember it being on there before (last weekend I believe) and I do not think anything happened. I have MobileMe, but it does not expire until December.

I will be calling my bank tomorrow because that article is scary!!