Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Apple is doomed.

o-APPLE-facebook.jpg

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
Well, their success clearly confirms that they obviously produce products that people WANT. But seriously - where and how exactly do Apple products make this WORLD a better place...? And those gigantic earnings are just sitting unethically on foreign bank accounts, doing nothing for anybody - even by capitalistic standards, that's a useless waste. The money that Apple, Microsoft and other mega-corporations are stock-piling just to evade taxes could REALLY solve a lot of problems on this planet and could REALLY turn this world into a better place. But instead, we applaud them for doing absolutely nothing with it. That's not just sick, that's revolting.

Their overseas earnings are not sitting in a bank, “doing nothing for anybody”. Stockpiling is a misnomer from journalists who don’t understand finance or even basic banking principles.

Their products are priced at a point where demand is so high that they are often difficult to find, and sell predictably over the life cycle of the product.

The rest is just anti-business bias and the idea that profits are evil.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Money, for the most part, isn't ever doing nothing unless it's being held in physical form - e.g., if you have thousands of dollars squirreled away under your mattress.
I don't know about this. Seems like all you're doing is taking some paper currency out of circulation, effectively distributing the wealth back to everyone else who has the currency.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ok.

Bought a share of Apple via the Robinhood app for $143. I've been meaning to diversify my portfolio for a month now, since prior to today I only owned a single share of Tesla, which has been quite volitile (was $315 when I bought it two months ago, $383 two weeks ago, and $308 yesterday, and back to $315 today.)

Steadily working my way towards having a decent stock portfolio.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Back in the early 1990s, I worked for a large toy company overseeing the companies few Macs. Everyone in IT said that Apple was a dead company. Yesterday, Microsoft announce that they are laying off 3000 people. *points and laughs*
It's as if your implying MS is dead. They aren't, and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Laying off people is a normal part of business. It happens across the globe on a daily basis.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
A trillion dollars. And they apparently don't have the resources to upgrade a 4 year old product. And yes i deliberately didn't put which product i'm talking about, because there is more than one to choose from!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Ok.

Bought a share of Apple via the Robinhood app for $143. I've been meaning to diversify my portfolio for a month now, since prior to today I only owned a single share of Tesla, which has been quite volitile (was $315 when I bought it two months ago, $383 two weeks ago, and $308 yesterday, and back to $315 today.)

Steadily working my way towards having a decent stock portfolio.
Respectfully, that's not a decent stock portfolio. Owning a share of this and a share of that--especially concentrated in a couple sectors--is taking on too much idiosyncratic risk. Even if you THINK Apple has upside (which you have to ask yourself what you know that thousands of people who are highly paid to look at company fundamentals don't know), you'd be on far better footing investing in an index fund.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Well, their success clearly confirms that they obviously produce products that people WANT. But seriously - where and how exactly do Apple products make this WORLD a better place...? And those gigantic earnings are just sitting unethically on foreign bank accounts, doing nothing for anybody - even by capitalistic standards, that's a useless waste. The money that Apple, Microsoft and other mega-corporations are stock-piling just to evade taxes could REALLY solve a lot of problems on this planet and could REALLY turn this world into a better place. But instead, we applaud them for doing absolutely nothing with it. That's not just sick, that's revolting.
What goes around come around.
[doublepost=1499438874][/doublepost]
One of the few big companies in the world who DESERVE their earnings because it is based on products that people want and make the world a better place. Well done Apple
What about their own nation that once had those jobs!

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Wait, the article mentions a rumored new phone that Apple may release this fall. Has anyone else verified this possibility?

Reactions: jerryk

Purple Pear

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
UK

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/25/apple-solar-energy-expansion-nevada/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/10/greenpeace-apple-cleanest-tech-company/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/15/apple-conservation-fund-environmental-success/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/13/apple-issues-1-billion-green-bond-sale/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/20/apple-earth-day-2017-videos/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/19/apple-earth-day-apple-watch-activity-challenge/

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Come on people! We can do this!

Please go to your nearest apple store today and buy some great hardware, you will love it.

IPad Pro: Now 10.5 inch screen with 120 Hz refresh rate
Macbook Pro: New design and Touch Bar, its superb!
IPhone 7: Its amazing, a sleek, perfectly crafted work of art.

Remember that credit is available ;)

Empty your wallet, you know you want to :)

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I hope he is correct since I own a lot of Apple shares, but suspect is price target is optimistic. But I do agree now is a good time to buy. Historically the Apple rumor machine will be in full speed by the end of the summer and the price of the stock will surge by that time. Then the new phone is released and the price falls. As the old adage goes, "buy on the rumor, sell on the news".

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
After they hit the trillion dollar mark, they will finally have enough money to phase out those 5200 rpm hard drives. ;)
ROFL. You made my day. Well Done!

Seriously, Wall St won't let this happen. If they did then they'd collectively be proved wrong all these years. The shorters (an ever incrasing band AFAIK) will already be planning their next 'keep apple down and make a billion in the process' ambush for the day of the next Apple event. The next financial report will see a small warm up for the big event.
Cynical? Yes. Wall St are nothing more than a bunch of modern day Highwaymen. Dick Turpin would be proud of them.

Reactions: autrefois

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
White has had this $202 12-month price target for the last six+ months. So, the clock keeps getting reset

The $1 trillion valuation does not take into account the potential of the massive buyback opportunity from repatriation. Apple could in one step purchase over 1 billion shares, bringing its share count closer to 4 billion. The stock would have to hit $250 to achieve a trillion valuation

Also, if corporate tax reform drops the tax rate from 35% to 15-20%, that will fundamentally impact Apple's valuation as well. A big if given how things are going

All true. The consensus 12-month target price has been in the mid-140s for some time, which means it was recently trading well above where the average of analysts thought it was going a year from now. I've never seen the reasoning behind constantly citing only the highest outlier predictions, but that's what MR does consistently. Makes them come off as shameless AAPL touts.

If the tax holiday happens, Apple probably will buy back more shares, but I suspect they would also increase the dividend, and possibly even drop a large one-time dividend on the stockholders. Either way, the billion dollar valuation will probably be further off, not that such an arbitrary number really matters.

modemthug

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
It's a business, not a charity

Last edited by a moderator:

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
You know what? You're right. That money we are ALL stockpiling could be used to help someone else. If there's any leftover money in our bank accounts after paying our monthly bills we should just give it all away. /s

I sure hope your bank account is at zero at the end of every month or else you're a hypocrite.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Heard it all before. When iPhone sales eventually start to decline the stock price will fall back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.