Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be preparing an iOS 16.5.1 update for the iPhone, based on evidence of the software in our website's analytics logs last week. It's unclear when the update will be released, but it will likely be available either this week or next week.

iOS-16.5.1-Feature.jpg

Minor updates like iOS 16.5.1 are typically focused on bug fixes, stability improvements, and security patches, rather than new features. Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter does not work properly with iPhones running iOS 16.5, but the issue was resolved in the iOS 16.6 beta last month, so a fix is likely to be included in iOS 16.5.1 as well.

Apple released the first beta of iOS 17 at WWDC last week. The update will be publicly released later this year for the iPhone XS and newer, and has many new features, including a StandBy mode while an iPhone is charging in a landscape position, interactive Home Screen widgets, improved autocorrect, a Journal app, and more. For the first time, developer betas are available without a $99/year Apple Developer program membership.

Earlier this month, Apple revealed that 81% of all active iPhones were running iOS 16, but that percentage has surely declined following the iOS 17 beta. Apple will likely release iOS 17 in September, around the time that iPhone 15 models launch.

Article Link: Apple Preparing iOS 16.5.1 Update for iPhone Following iOS 17 Beta

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Earlier this month, Apple revealed that 81% of all active iPhones were running iOS 16, but that percentage has surely declined following the iOS 17 beta.
It absolutely has not.
There are still more people buying new iOS 16 running phones, or updating their old phones from older versions to 16, then there are that will run the beta.
Most people don't even actively update their phones, they're not going to run a beta. Most people just wait for the phone to update itself.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I am quite happy with iOS 16.5 and my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Also Battery Life is finally more than ok. Getting at around 9-10h SOT. I hope 16.5.1 fixes the remaining bugs and that`s it. I still don`t know what iOS 16.6 is for expect iMessage encrypting thin or whatever. Here in Europe no one cares about iMessage.

liquid05

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
I hope this fixes the recently introduced carplay bug. Audio plays out of my phone instead of my car until I unplug/plug again.

Reactions: MacBird

stphammond

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
‪Build number 20F74 according to @Fame_G_Monster on Twitter, who’s been able to fetch the IPSW files after they’re uploaded to Apple’s servers before the software is officially released. Applies to both beta and public releases. This is why I should’ve at least waited until at least iOS 16.6 beta 3 to update my iPhone XR to those betas after already updating my iPhone 13/iPad Air 4 to iOS/iPadOS 17 betas. Of course, if I had another device to run iOS 16 versions, I wouldn’t regret updating my XR to 16.6 beta 2 immediately after updating my main devices to iOS/iPadOS 17 betas. It would be nice if that other device were an iPhone 8/X (more likely an iPhone 8 in my case), as that would allow me to run all future versions of iOS 16, even after iOS 17 releases, similar to how I can do it on iOS 15 on my iPhone 6s and iOS 12 on my iPad mini 2.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I can't lie, this very thing is purely magical:)

Don't all windows devices receive the updates at the same time though?

No. Updates get held back on Windows devices quite often. "Major" updates are not made available for months on many devices. It didn't help that Microsoft fired a lot of their QA/testing teams some years ago to lean heavily on community feedback.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Hopefully they fix the delayed of the default keyboard coming up. They broke it with 16.3 o_O
Maybe my iPhone 14 Pro is just not powerful enough to display keyboard in real time;)

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It looks like Apple has a new tactic to get people to upgrade to iOS 17, they introduced a whole bunch of bugs with final release of iOS 16 and will only fix them in the next iOS version o_O

Reactions: BlackBun

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
I'm totally pissed off with the 16.5 update. All swipes now lag anywhere from 1-10 seconds. Sometimes it lags so long that I keep thinking the swipe didn't register. The swipe is so bad that swiping becomes a tap and I accidentally open up news articles from FB instead of just reviewing the headlines.

Same lag in non-swipe actions too. Tapping the reply area of text messages sometimes takes 10s to show the damn keyboard. This is straight up stupid!

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
I can't wait to benefit from the latest bug fixes and performance improvements at the same time as everyone else on every supported Apple device. Only Apple can do this.

Not for DesktopOS?!
Show me another serious Desktop or Server OS (serious Linux distribution, Windows or serious BSD distribution) with such a short support, where only the current version (= 1 year) gets full support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.