Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Sounds like 17.2 gets the “sucks big time of the year” award. People may want to try 17.3 B1. With a 13 Mini, this beta has given me 7-8 hours of daily battery life with few bugs, at least with how I use the phone. 17.2 was terrible for me as well.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Who are these people who are using iOS 17.2.1? If it’s not beta testers then who? Curious how the website is able to pick up which software you are using, always been curious I guess

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Good that Apple keep updating their OS just like any other company these days. Never thought i'd say this but maybe its a good thing to do what google does, scheduled monthly updates and then use RSR if its an emergency patch that needs to be applied.

I don't think earlier years should be a reference to when or if Apple will be offering a x.x.x release. These are bugfixes and security updates.
Why not expect Apple to just fix the bugs and release them. Is that too much to ask for? The answer is no! We don't need extra delays, we already have too many.

The reality is that Apple has an unreliable "test before release" process. This is what needs to be fixed.

Reactions: spartan1967

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Why not expect Apple to just fix the bugs and release them. Is that too much to ask for? The answer is no! We don't need extra delays, we already have too many.

The reality is that Apple has an unreliable "test before release" process. This is what needs to be fixed.
Which is what they are doing. That's why we se releases such as 17.2.1.
When it comes to bugs there is many things to take into account, apps, network, usage, peripherals etc. On top of that Apple needs to take into account security issues and get them out there quickly.
Problem is that if you fix a security flaw and don't test it properly, you might end up with new security issues or bugs, bugs that needs to be fixed in the next release.

Time is also a critical factor when it comes to fix security flaws.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Sounds like 17.2 gets the “sucks big time of the year” award. People may want to try 17.3 B1. With a 13 Mini, this beta has given me 7-8 hours of daily battery life with few bugs, at least with how I use the phone. 17.2 was terrible for me as well.
I think it works great which shows, as you state, how different usage can be and affect how we experience updates.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
How about the bug where when I try to change one app on my Home Screen and it’s like a bomb went off and it takes me ten minutes to get my icons back how I like them.

Wait, that’s intentional?! Why?!

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Has Apple given up on ‘Rapid Security Response’? or has it been regulated to just a “OMG” moment where they need to have 99% of devices updated within 24 hours?

I don’t think we’ve had one in like 9 months or so… and I’m pretty sure it had problems for a lot of people.
They can’t even get the normal updates to work as they promise. I always do the ‘Update tonight’ and I don’t think it’s ever auto updated once. Always makes up a reason about why it didn’t update even though I follow all the requirements like letting it be while it’s charging. Never worked on iPhone, iPad or Mac. I also have automatic updates on but it never seems to look for updates unless I go in to open the software update page in Settings manually. Then it’ll tell me there’s an update and it could be a version that has been out for more than a week.

Reactions: spartan1967

FrumpyGus

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2020
Since 17.2, my iPhone frequently seems to crash, then get stuck in the Face ID screen for a while
Yeah, my 13 mini has spontaneously crashed and put battery to 10% about 15 times. Sometimes its when snapping a pic from lock screen and sometimes when going to a website on safari...sometimes just while sitting there. The update sucks. Apple sure has went away from reliability.

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
I hope that the Safari bug is fixed. Half the time when I try to go back to a previous page, the screen goes white and nothing will load.
Yea. This bug has really been pissing me off. I filled out a bug report, but I’m doubtful we’ll see it fixed ..

Reactions: xpxp2002

hare_star

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2023
Has Apple given up on ‘Rapid Security Response’? or has it been regulated to just a “OMG” moment where they need to have 99% of devices updated within 24 hours?

I don’t think we’ve had one in like 9 months or so… and I’m pretty sure it had problems for a lot of people.
This is honestly a enormous disappointment.
I went Apple for mobiles due to superior updates availability which are needed for security.
New OS update = with iOS/iPadOS I can download them without any waiting.
With Android...not sure now but I remember that in old times carriers could delay/block updates if you bought phone from them. Even flagships weren't safe and I'm not talking here even about the carriers but simply producers like Samsung, LG, Xiaomi etc not caring about them.
Of course Android has improved. There is a better availability of updates, longer support time and the system was always more modular so many updates were provided by Play Store/Services updates and you didn't need a full system update to update the system browser like with Apple.
Also as a system the generic Android is pretty solid in terms of overall security.
But Apple still has over edge here IMHO.
So for a person like me RST was basically the most important feature since I've started buying Apple products with my first gen iPhone SE.
We live in a world where public facing servers are hit within minutes after disclosure of vulnerability. There are numerous security issues including critical ones each month and even normal users could be hit by them.
Considering this you could think that we would be getting a new RST once per moth or more or at least once per quarter. But no.
Even those RST that were release had problems which honestly looked pretty basic and suggested lack of proper test coverage. Honestly, checking if few most popular websites simply work isn't that big of a effort. Should be part of automated test suite and a quick check for manual testers.
Apart from RST I'm seeing other issues.
The automatic shuffle of pictures for lock screen never worked for me. It's still processing since iOS 16 lol.
Update to iOS/iPadOS removed by itself any persons detected in pictures.
Honestly Apple is a gigantic company with enormous stock value and very big amount of actual cash. They could do better. I sadly don't see any better options for mobiles but yeah some financial problems maybe could motivate Apple to focus a little on polishing their products instead of forcefully pushing features that could wait (I'm looking at you Journal). Maybe then the famous and memed a thousand times "courage" would appear. But since that probably won't happen in this decade the only "courage" from Apple we will get will be fighting any user positive changes like sideloading, solid right to repair (not only spare parts but also lack of serializing etc).
Sadly don't see any better choices here for mobiles despite all of this.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
from now on i'll only be upgrading once apple has put out plenty of updates. as soon as 17.2.1 comes out i'll upgrade but that's me until 17.2.2 or 17.3.1 or 17.3.2. infact i'll probably wait for 17.4 to release before upgrading to 17.3.x

apple can't be trusted to provide stability anymore so i'll not be upgrading as quickly anymore. maybe they have all their talented developers working on Vision OS and this is why iOS is suffering low quality releases now.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
iOS 17.2 also introduced a bug where iphone won’t sync with computer. It gets stuck at Step 2 Preparing to sync.

MDCrashReportTool is stalling and can be force quit in Activity Monitor or in Terminal with command

pkill -9 "MDCrashReportTool"

Once MDCrashReportTool is killed the sync resumes.

Maybe the 17.2.1 update will fix it.
I have the step 2 issue when I sync. Do you have Adguard on your phone? If so, try turning it off on the phone before the sync.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
from now on i'll only be upgrading once apple has put out plenty of updates. as soon as 17.2.1 comes out i'll upgrade but that's me until 17.2.2 or 17.3.1 or 17.3.2. infact i'll probably wait for 17.4 to release before upgrading to 17.3.x

apple can't be trusted to provide stability anymore so i'll not be upgrading as quickly anymore. maybe they have all their talented developers working on Vision OS and this is why iOS is suffering low quality releases now.
I don’t know. There is of course no pressure to update so version XY but I don’t really get your comment here.
You never know what kind of x.x.x updates are coming and what gives you the certainty that any update is better as the other? And in which way would a 17.4 release would make a 17.3.x version better or more stable in any way?

Mother Nature

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Colombia
Who are these people who are using iOS 17.2.1? If it’s not beta testers then who? Curious how the website is able to pick up which software you are using, always been curious I guess
To make it simple, the device will share some basic information of the browser being used, this includes the OS version. The reason why this data is shared is to help the website adapting to your device or certain technologies used, this is a really simple version of how it works.

There are some versions that Apple only test internally as they are almost identical to public versions, the framework is adjusted to address a certain/specific thing, therefore, they don't need public beta testers.

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
SO LET ME TELL YOU THE BUGS IVE SEEN in ios 17.2

MOST of them are in icloud just so you know:

1) In icloud under where it says next backup size, it doesn't show up. It just says LOADING. I have read on apple community page and on here that this is happening to other ppl too but one person said they noticed it on their mac. I dont have a mac I have phone. A new phone to be exact. I went from iphone 8 to iphone se 3rd generations in October.

2) This isn't a big deal for me but messages in icloud (its a new feature in ios 17.2) the toggle wont turn on. I never had it on to begin with but I was looking at something else and I went to turn it on and I noticed that it turned on for a moment then off. Then I tried to hold the toggle to turn it on again but it went off.

3) My icloud backup storage keeps increasing instead of decreasing even after I manually delete texts. I have read and talked to many ppl at apple support and theyve told me it takes up to 4 days for texts to be permantly deleted on the server end. I have my settings set to keep messages for 30 days. BUT like I said I manually delete them everyday and delete them out of the recently deleted bin. After a week of messing around with this problem and talking to apple support and filing bugs on apple feedback website I realized that it might be an issue within the messages app itself. BECAUSE I noticed when I went to iphone storage the storage wasnt collaberating correctly. It was stuck at 70mb whatever it was before I updated to ios 17.2 then for a whole week it stayed at that number. UNTIL LAST NIGHT. Last night it finally updated itself and jumped to 101mb then this morning it started to finally go down. I have 25 contacts 1 photo 0 texts. I couldnt figure out why my backup kept increasing all week. Even after I deleted texts. My backup storage went from 55mb on Monday december 11th to now its 58.6mb. Everyday it would increase even on days I wouldnt even text anyone so therefore it was increasing on its own knowing that there were 0 texts there. SO MY POINT IS the message app is whats causing the icloud backup storage bug. Because after a week of being on ios 17.2 its finally starting to come down on its own and show the right storage amount. It was so annoying. Maybe this is what ios 17.2.1 will be fixing you never know. I even bought more storage just to be safe.

Reactions: avercros

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I have the step 2 issue when I sync. Do you have Adguard on your phone? If so, try turning it off on the phone before the sync.
No Adguard.

It was syncing before 17.2

So 17.2 is the problem, not apps. Not even MDCrashReportTool. iOS was working with MDCrashReportTool before the 17.2 update. Now you have to kill MDCrashReportTool to get the sync to work.

I don’t think 17.2 should even have been released if it stops your iphone from syncing with the computer.

Reactions: nt5672

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
I really hope it fixes the battery drain/phone heating issue I've been experiencing ever since I installed 17.2 on my 15PM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.