Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
No Adguard.

It was syncing before 17.2

So 17.2 is the problem, not apps. Not even MDCrashReportTool. iOS was working with MDCrashReportTool before the 17.2 update. Now you have to kill MDCrashReportTool to get the sync to work.

I don’t think 17.2 should even have been released if it stops your iphone from syncing with the computer.
Looking into it a little further, my problem is that Adguard was blocking ca.iadsdk.apple.com. Once I put that in the allow list, it started working (I had to pull the cable out and put it back in). Apparently, that address is required in order to sync from the Mac to the iPhone.

maneta

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2018
Sounds like 17.2 gets the “sucks big time of the year” award. People may want to try 17.3 B1. With a 13 Mini, this beta has given me 7-8 hours of daily battery life with few bugs, at least with how I use the phone. 17.2 was terrible for me as well.
so battery life it's a bit improved ? I'm on 13 mini as well...and 17.2 sucks the soul of my phone, also some stutters and lags

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
No Adguard.

It was syncing before 17.2

So 17.2 is the problem, not apps. Not even MDCrashReportTool. iOS was working with MDCrashReportTool before the 17.2 update. Now you have to kill MDCrashReportTool to get the sync to work.

I don’t think 17.2 should even have been released if it stops your iphone from syncing with the computer.
Having upgraded my iPhone 14 Pro from 16.7.2 to 17.2, I could no longer sync my iPhone to my mac. It got stuck at stage 2!

Opening Activity Monitor and searching for MDCrashReportTool returned zero results. So, I opened Finder and forced closed all entries within. I was able to Sync my iPhone after.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Having upgraded my iPhone 14 Pro from 16.7.2 to 17.2, I could no longer sync my iPhone to my mac. It got stuck at stage 2!

Opening Activity Monitor and searching for MDCrashReportTool returned zero results. So, I opened Finder and forced closed all entries within. I was able to Sync my iPhone after.
MDCrashReportTool only appears in Activity Monitor when the sync is in progress.

When I said before the iphone won’t sync with “computer” I mean it won’t sync with mac OR windows pc.

The MDCrashReportTool sync problem is present in the windows pc as well. For windows pcs MDCrashReportTool can also be killed in the Task Manager which also allows the sync to resume.

avercros

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
1703010585243.jpeg

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
Any word on the long-complained-if bug where workouts no longer display maps of the path taken? I got a Genius to admit it's a known problem and he said it would be addressed in a system update eventually. Admitted rather than denied, this is at least progress of a sort.

Reactions: nt5672

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Any word on the long-complained-if bug where workouts no longer display maps of the path taken? I got a Genius to admit it's a known problem and he said it would be addressed in a system update eventually. Admitted rather than denied, this is at least progress of a sort.
I doubt it is really progress, it is probably that you got a Genius that just got tired of lying.

Apple's process is deny, deny, deny, deny. Then if the problem is no longer visible publicly, then nothing needs to be done.

Kinda like if a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it really make a sound? For Apple that translates to, "if people quit complaining about a bug, then the bug is solved."

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Found another feature with iOS 17 after upgrading from iOS 16: 3/4 of the way through my day the battery is at 4% on my 14 Pro, I've never had that low after a full day, I even hardly used it for streaming music today, normally it's at like 60% at the end of the day, iOS 17 of pile of steaming poop. :mad:

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
so battery life it's a bit improved ? I'm on 13 mini as well...and 17.2 sucks the soul of my phone, also some stutters and lags
Same as you with 17.2. 17.3B1 much better with battery & only a couple stutters since install. Update your apps. after iOS done & after that is done restart your phone again.

tedtanner

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Has Apple given up on ‘Rapid Security Response’? or has it been regulated to just a “OMG” moment where they need to have 99% of devices updated within 24 hours?

I don’t think we’ve had one in like 9 months or so… and I’m pretty sure it had problems for a lot of people.
If the security flaw is in the kernel, then the device needs to be restarted. Therefore, kernel issues can’t be patched via the “Rapid Security Response” (assuming the device restarting is a no-no for Rapid Security Responses). My guess is that we haven’t gotten lots of RSRs because many of the updates have contained fixes for security bugs inside the kernel.

Several things can be patched via an RSR without restarting the device, however. XNU (the macOS kernel) is a hybrid between what is called a “microkernel” and what is called a “monolithic kernel.” Microkernels pull basic OS functionalities out of the kernel into separate services that interface closely with the kernel, but are distinct from it (there are various pros and cons to doing this—a fun discussion for another time). These can be updated without restarting the device. Additionally, security vulnerabilities can appear in system libraries that apps and OS services use. libc, WebKit, UIKit, Foundation, etc. are all libraries that can be updated without needing to restart the device. If the vulnerability is in Safari, it could likely be fixed in an RSR that merely updates WebKit (though the reality is likely more complicated; I’m not sure what other technical limitations RSR might have in trying not to interrupt user experience that might cause a Safari fix to not be fit for an RSR).

Last edited:

SteamyDinkins

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
MDCrashReportTool bug not fixed in macOS 14.2.1 / iOS 17.2.1.

Looks like syncing is going to be a broken pain in the ass until next year sometime.

maneta

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2018
Same as you with 17.2. 17.3B1 much better with battery & only a couple stutters since install. Update your apps. after iOS done & after that is done restart your phone again.
I installed 17.2.1 yesterday. So far so good, let's see what happens in a couple of days. And yea, i always update my apps, and also restarting my phone with every update

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Still seeing the safari refresh bug after updating.. if apple keeps this up there won’t be much difference between an iPhone and some crappy android.

rhill1124

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2023
I hope that the Safari bug is fixed. Half the time when I try to go back to a previous page, the screen goes white and nothing will load.
This is the only bug that I’ve encountered, 13 Pro Max and AWU. (Well, and always changing my words to something that I don’t want)
For years I’ve read everyone’s complaints about bugs and all and I rarely if ever get any of them.

My wife on the other hand always seems to have something wonky going on with all of her devices, iPhone, iPad, AirPod’s and AW8. I genuinely feel that there is something wrong with her Apple ID settings. Just yesterday, after updating to 17.2.1, she was sent a message about a text thread from me from months ago. Same email address as I’ve had forever, but all of a sudden it allowed her to share her health data with me after she added the “new contact info” to my existing contact. Which has always been there.

Otherwise, I’ve never understood all of the issues that everyone constantly has. But, I also don’t use my devices for any extreme use, I’m fairly basic.

Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.