Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144145-safari_extensions_gallery.jpg

Apple today sent out an email to registered developers reminding them to submit their Safari 5 extensions for consideration for inclusion in the company's "Safari Extensions Gallery".
We'll soon be launching the Safari Extensions Gallery, a new destination that provides you with an opportunity to increase the visibility of your Safari extension beyond your website.

The Safari Extensions Gallery will feature selected extensions that offer an innovative user experience. And a one-click installation process will allow users to seamlessly install extensions from a developer’s website without ever having to leave the Gallery.

Have your extension considered for the Safari Extensions Gallery. Submit your extension download URL and supporting metadata today.
Apple released Safari 5 at its Worldwide Developers Conference just over a month ago. Among other enhancements, Safari 5 includes support for extensions, add-ons created by third-party developers to offer new functionalities within the browser. Several early extensions have already been released, but Apple is still preparing the official launch of the feature with its gallery of featured extensions in the near future.

In mid-June, the company officially invited developers to submit their Safari extensions, noting that the gallery would be coming "later this summer". While still has not provided an official date for the launch, it does appear to be approaching in the relatively near future.

Interested developers can find out more in Apple's Safari Dev Center.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 'Safari Extensions Gallery'

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Now the question is will apple keep the same death grip on extensions as it does on ios app's?

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
Nice. However, there is still two things I need to be able to switch back to Safari: an AwesomeBar and tabs on top.

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
Now the question is will apple keep the same death grip on extensions as it does on ios app's?

Of course they will have the same kind of quality assurance. However, you don't have to use their gallery to spread your extension. It's a good thing IMO.

Cakester

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus
Think we are seeing a new trend software distribution develop here. Once the iPhone/iPod touch user gets use to purchasing software via iTunes.....why not distribute it for the Mac that way too.....including, dah dah dah...Safari extensions

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Think we are seeing a new trend software distribution develop here. Once the iPhone/iPod touch user gets use to purchasing software via iTunes.....why not distribute it for the Mac that way too.....including, dah dah dah...Safari extensions

It's just a gallery… I don't think this is part of any wider plan to revolutionise the way we find software (not denying that there might be a plan).

What about http://www.apple.com/downloads/ ? That's been there ever since I can remember and is a 'gallery' for Mac software. It's just a logical step to take, to make software easy to find.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Something tells me Apple won't allow ad-blockers in their gallery :(

Something tells me your really really wrong. If I was Apple I'd build an Ad blocker straight into the browser, the less people that see google ads the better, and since iAds is only in Apps it doesn't effect Apple one bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.