Apple Preparing to Seed Developers with First Build of OS X 10.8.1

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I've had 3 issues on my MBA :

- The time doesn't update itself fast enough when coming back from deep sleep. If I'm fast enough to enter my password, I can unlock the computer before the time jumps forward, resulting in the laptop relocking itself instantly as the time jumps ahead a few hours. :mad:

- My USB ports are wonky when hot swapping devices. Sometimes the left port will disable itself completely requiring a reboot to fix (I'd suspect hardware, but it started with ML and a reboot fixes it for a few hours/days).

- 3 times the laptop has frozen since ML. If I leave it open and on power, I'll find it a few hours later with screens black out, impossible to wake and the CPU fan going nuts.

Aside from that, ML has been pretty much a non-issue. All my favorite Lion features are there, I disabled Gatekeeper and still don't use neither iCloud nor Launchpad, so it's just dandy.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Pardon me for asking, but is root the same as using the admin's account to run the computer?
No, the root is higher privileges than the Admin account and is not turned on by default. It has to manually be turned on in order to use it. Everything is granted access and no username or password is ever asked for. It's just lacking severely in security and should never be used as a daily account in a Unix/Linux environment. The layer of protection against threats is BECAUSE the root account cannot easily be accessed. Leaving it open to the world on a daily basis is just asking for problems.

QandnotU

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Can't believe there is no mention of Exchange issues. We have an Office full of people where Mac Mail is unusable with an Exchange account. Anyone else?

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Why would anyone want to use Mac mail for being tied into an Exchange server/service? Mac users on our network are without issue and are productive using Outlook.

malone46844

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
same issue. i upgraded my mbp with an SSD a while ago and it always used to shut down almost instantly. now its taking quiet some time on ML. almost as if i still got my old school hdd inside
I had this too ... I have 2 SSD's in software raid and was minimum 20 seconds to shutdown in ML (90% of the time). Turns out it was Parallels - I wrote a script to kill parallels dispatch service at shutdown and went back to 1-2 seconds.

YMMV.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
You assume correctly. And it's only available for Lion (through Software Update) and Mountain Lion. It's not available for Snow Leopard.
I thought so, I did look it up on the Apple site but could not find a link to the min spec for Safari 6.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Need the ability to make a URL a live link in the new Notes app, notes obviously used to reside in Mail... I love it going solo, but they have removed CMD 'K' to add a URL embed link.
I can't make lines of text auto click URLs - annoying

xianshell

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Actually I mentioned a few pages ago :)

Can't believe there is no mention of Exchange issues. We have an Office full of people where Mac Mail is unusable with an Exchange account. Anyone else?

----------

Why would anyone want to use Mac mail for being tied into an Exchange server/service? Mac users on our network are without issue and are productive using Outlook.
Because they want to.
The reason for their preference is neither here not there. The point is that on ML it doesn't work.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The reason for their preference is neither here not there. The point is that on ML it doesn't work.
Without any sugarcoating:

The point is that OS X and its accompanying applications are --NOT-- a business/enterprise-ready platform, no matter how much wishful thinking we throw at it. Apple positioned themselves as a manufacturer of CONSUMER products several years ago and it's time that we all accept that inconvenient truth. They produce gadgets and stuff that you want to use in your living room, but they do not sell products that you want to use in data centers or at corporate headquarters.

Not even Apple themselves use their own operating system in their own data centers, and since OS X is built upon a Unix foundation, that is a sad thing to see - and it speaks volumes about how little faith its own designers must have in it when it comes to using it for mission critical purposes. They prefer Oracle's Solaris over their own creation.

The only Exchange integration that Apple is interested in - and that only because they HAVE to be interested in it if they want to keep selling iOS gadgets - is a push service from the Exchange server to the iPhone. And since they are not selling any Macs to corporations and enterprises, their interest in making OS X a first class business client platform is, let's say, limited.

If your colleagues want to use Exchange Server in a way that makes sense, they better install Outlook or live with Outlook Web Access. And you should not waste your own time trying to support Apple's consumer and home user software at work - it was not made for that, just like a rubber boat was not made for carrying aircraft to the gulf.

QandnotU

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mac Mail was capable of handling Exchange prior to Mountain lion. As a mac user, I'm sure you understand why someone might want to use their native apps and stray away from Outlook, which is bloated and has a horrendous UI.

sicn

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Fix the scroll lag on the Retina, please.
Agree 100%! After all, it's not unreasonable to expect that a computer for $3249 should have better performance than a two and a half years old MacBook Pro...

No, I am not bitter at all about spending that kind of cash for something that is slower than my previous machine...

Last edited:

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
Mac Mail was capable of handling Exchange prior to Mountain lion. As a mac user, I'm sure you understand why someone might want to use their native apps and stray away from Outlook, which is bloated and has a horrendous UI.
Bloated, hardly... Mac Mail by contrast looks like it was written for a bunch of 3rd graders. Outlook is the industry standard for business mail clients worldwide and there's more reported use of it than any other mail client.

Look at where Mac Mail is right now, it doesn't even work with Exchange in a new OS that touts itself as the most advanced OS in the world.