Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I only wear an occasional baseball cap (and that's just when it's raining.)

It's not so much that I think Amazon might be recording what I say (which they will for voice-recognition purposes etc. and I know that can be managed) but also the possibility of third parties finding loopholes etc.

There's a similar potential for any such tech in your house of course, it's just what you're comfortable having.

Now you're starting to make up stuff. How exactly is Apple different if "3rd parties" find a loophole?

Apple might still be innovating on the component level (touch ID, 3d touch etc), but they sure have run out of ideas on the device level.

MadeMyDay

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Global Shipping
[doublepost=1474636430][/doublepost]I hope it looks just like this...
Siri already looks like this…
siri-bubble-420-90.jpg

What will it be like when every device (iPhone, iPad, iMac, Powerbook, Apple TV) responds to, "Hey Siri"? Now Apple is developing a drink coaster-type gadget to sit on your coffee table too? I can imagine our reaction…

v4f6yinzxat6cnxyhgj5.jpg

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
This feature could be built into current devices. Why does anyone need a separate device? It could be built into Apple TV, iMac, Mac mini, it could, surprise, surprise, be built into iPhone!

You want an always-on (or at least always-listening) device with audio input and output that you can place conveniently anywhere in the house.

You want this device to be always-on, in listen mode. iPhone and Mac have power considerations which means the user wants them to sleep. AppleTV has neither audio input more output; adding those to a new model AppleTV is not really different from building a new device. And in most cases people wouldn't want it sitting under their TV-- it's a poor location for audio input.

Reactions: jagooch

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Apple might still be innovating on the component level (touch ID, 3d touch etc), but they sure have run out of ideas on the device level.

People keep saying this, but it doesn't make sense. What are people expecting Apple to release, and what successful innovative products have other companies released lately? There has to be a point in technological development where the iron is hot to strike with something new and great-- this just isn't that moment. We're in interim.

Apple is working on several exciting things at the moment. AR tech, a car... until other companies start making hugely successful innovative new devices and Apple gets left behind, it's not right to say that Apple is out of ideas.

In the mean time, all of its current products are the best of their respective industries.

Reactions: jagooch and Zirel

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Why Apple thinks Siri is already great and ready for this kind of expansion is beyond me. With the iOS 10 update I decided to use it again and it just doesn't work.

While Siri understands me better than before, it fails to correctly interpret my commands. I now switched to the Dutch version and it's even more stupid than I remember. Creating reminders or appointments, asking driving directions, playing a song, ... it just doesn't work. You ask for one thing and it does something completely different and unrelated. it's even a mystery on why it would do a particular thing based on what I asked.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
Steve Jobs did that too. What flagship product did Apple ever release that was the first of its kind?

The article says they're working on improving Siri.

Yeah but before it was like, hey computers are only being used by business, lets take computers and make them friendly for consumers. Same with the iPhone, they took a technology mainly used by business (smartphones) and made them user friendly.

But now? The Echo is a device purpose built for the consumer. Apple making their own isn't really innovative, impressive, or even necessary.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
"Me too, me too, me too!!!"

-Apple CEO Tim Cook

Too bad Siri absolutely sucks at doing anything useful and this thing would be an epic flop.
Based on the responses, seems like I'm one of the few who uses Siri all the time. It makes at least 50% of my appointment, sets 100% of my timers, most of my alarms, reads some of my texts while I'm driving, get's phone numbers of my barber shop, restaurants, reads my calendar and a whole lot more. Also I usually start a text thread thru Siri. Seriously I could not live without it.

Reactions: aristobrat

Darryl.Jenks

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Self-absorbed
I found the last four words of 1984 to be among the most terrifying I've read. Lately I've been surprised and disappointed at how outnumbered I am.

Enjoy. I want no part of it, but I must admit it's impressive tech.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
They aren't buying because the design is compromised (antenna lines, camera budge), they aren't buying because there is a missing device size (4-inch). Hardly anyone I know puts a case on their phone, so you can't generalise, it's mixed. People aren't buying new iPhones BECAUSE they are aren't being given real good reasons to upgrade.
IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH AESTHETICS. Generation 3 of iPhone 6 (aka iPhone 7) is just that, an old design with done up looks. No one wants that.
Without independent third party verifiable data points to back up the claim in red, all of the above is just a lot of random keystrokes.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
So... An AppleTV with a speaker and integrated microphone? AppleTV5 perhaps? I don't see why this should be a standalone product.
Many Apple TV are mounted on the back or TVs or in a cabinet. Not optimal for input or response. When there were rumors the next Apple TV would have Alexa type functions, this was my immediate thought. I hope for Apple's sake it is a standalone with a bad ass speaker from which you would actually want to hear music.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah but before it was like, hey computers are only being used by business, lets take computers and make them friendly for consumers. Same with the iPhone, they took a technology mainly used by business (smartphones) and made them user friendly.

But now? The Echo is a device purpose built for the consumer. Apple making their own isn't really innovative, impressive, or even necessary.

And what about the iPod smart guy? We're MP3 players just for business?

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
With an initiative code-named "Invisible Hand," Apple hopes to give users the ability to fully control their devices through a Siri command system

I don't know why this code name reminds me of Conan's sketch "Guiding Hands":

;)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah and the worst part is, Siri can never be improved and functionality can't be added. Apple should shut down and give the money back to the shareholders!

Ya know, Siri has been around for awhile now and I've been extremely patient hoping that it can achieve even 50% of the functionality that competitor voice recognition softwares are capable of.

Year after year ticks by and the improvements to Siri and its capabilities are about dead last compared to competitors.

A typical conversation with Siri in my vehicle (using Carplay) is like this;

Siri - I need directions to PDA road gear in littleton

"Sorry, I don't know what you mean"

Siri - I need directions

"Where would you like to go"

PDA Road gear

I don't see any businesses named PDA road gear.

I then pull up google maps and find the business in 10 seconds.

Multiply that experience by 1000 and you'll start to get a feel for where I'm coming from.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Well, Apple has SiriKit and HomeKit.

Google and Amazon don't have anything similar, except for Amazon.

Game set and match, Apple, just like the Apple Watch

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I found the last four words of 1984 to be among the most terrifying I've read. Lately I've been surprised and disappointed at how outnumbered I am.

Enjoy. I want no part of it, but I must admit it's impressive tech.

This is where tech is going-- An increasing percentage of interactions will be voice-based going into the future. If anything we should support the company that promotes and protects privacy.

catcherintherye

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
O-Town
Apple should just buy Crazybaby and build siri into it. Problem solved. My Mars' design is perfect, it's like something Apple should have come up with. Down to the package. The only electronics product that I was more excited for than an Apple product in YEARS. And it lived up to its' expectations.
mars1.jpg mars2.jpg mars3.jpg mars4.png

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Nah, sorry. Even Echo, for the 90% of the commands it recognizes and executes correctly, either doesn't hear my voice, or does the wrong command. From my past experiences with Siri, I'd imagine it go something like this:

"Hey Siri, turn on the bathroom lights"
"Okay, here's the search results for, 'What are the chances that the Cavaliers will win the Finals in 2023?'"

Mackid2ghz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I don't think they need a pice of hardware....ive already spent to much money with apple. Lets see apple fix this with software. UNIVERSAL SIRI. one SIRI on all your devices and headphones.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
People keep saying this, but it doesn't make sense. What are people expecting Apple to release, and what successful innovative products have other companies released lately? There has to be a point in technological development where the iron is hot to strike with something new and great-- this just isn't that moment. We're in interim.

Apple is working on several exciting things at the moment. AR tech, a car... until other companies start making hugely successful innovative new devices and Apple gets left behind, it's not right to say that Apple is out of ideas.

In the mean time, all of its current products are the best of their respective industries.

Wow, do you want a side of chips with that cool-aid?

Nobody thought that we needed iPhones or iPads either, in fact the initial reaction to the announcement of the iPad was largely negative until people got it in their hands and saw what it could do. There is no "interim" period in technology, there is just a lull in tech innovations.

My home is completely packed with Apple products and it gets clearer every year that not only have they run out of ideas, they are falling behind their competitors. Apple doesn't even have a 4K capable ATV and they are supposed to be the leaders in a space like video.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The largest barrier to an Apple device like this is Siri itself. Its still not reliable enough or intelligent enough.

Kind of disappointed on Sierra - when asking Siri "What is the weather is going to be tomorrow", - I got the reply - "Sorry, I don't know how to 'What is the weather is going to be tomorrow'"..

Or, when asking Siri the World Cup of Hockey Scores - I get a response of Sorry can't do that - words to those effect.

I don't need an Apple device like this..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.