Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Privacy Director Jane Horvath to Speak at CES in Consumer Privacy Roundtable

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will have a presence at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that's set to take place in January, but the company won't be showing off new products.

Apple will instead be discussing consumer privacy, as Bloomberg points out. Jane Horvath, Apple's senior director of privacy, will be attending a "Chief Privacy Officer Roundtable" alongside privacy executives from Facebook, Procter & Gamble, and the FTC.

The roundtable will focus on "what consumers want" when it comes to privacy. It will be held on Tuesday, January 7 at 1:00 p.m. at the Las Vegas Convention Center's North Hall, room N257. Attendance is included with CES registration.
Privacy is now a strategic imperative for all consumer businesses. "The future is private" (Facebook); "Privacy is a human right" (Apple); and "a more private web" (Google). How do companies build privacy at scale? Will regulation be a fragmented patchwork? Most importantly, what do consumers want?
Apple stopped attending CES in the 90s, and Apple's last official appearance took place in 1992 at the Chicago show, where then CEO John Sculley introduced the Apple Newton.

While Apple doesn't officially attend CES, it does send its employees to the show for meetings and to check out emerging technology. Last year, Apple also touted its privacy policies through a huge privacy-focused billboard right near the Las Vegas Convention Center that read "What Happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone."

Article Link: Apple Privacy Director Jane Horvath to Speak at CES in Consumer Privacy Roundtable

Derekuda

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2004
Apples talks big about Privacy and even tim has gone on the record and said many times... "Privacy is a fundamental human right". Yet releasing iMessage to all platforms would hurt the bottom line, so when you have to text your android friends or message people on windows or linux, your privacy "rights" go out the door. Way to look out for your customers.. /s
With RCS rolling out to the masses now, it would serve apple well to release iMessage to all platforms and snag the market before it all go away.

ALSO, it's pretty sad that iMessage is in fact the glue holding iOS popularity in check. How can your OS be superior if you are scared all your people will leave if you release your messaging app cross platform. :rolleyes:

Reactions: calzon65
Comment

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Agree with Derekuda above ... I love iMessage and think its great iMessage works on iPad and MacOS, but I have always wanted the ability to send iMessage from my Windows desktop. I wish Apple would create iMessage for Windows, Apple already has an iCloud app for Windows.

Comment

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
There’s no doubt in my mind that Apple can be better trusted with my data than any other tech-co. With a liberal sprinkling of my own additional vigilance, I’m more confident in using their system than I would be any other. Can’t really hope for much more in this digital era.

Comment

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Tech "privacy" is all unicorns, trust, and fairy dust, until these words are uttered...."for reasons of national security".
Privacy? Ha Ha Ha ?

Reactions: TimSHB
Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
Didn't Apple got caught about the location services just a few days ago??
There was no "catch"... your post is nothing but sensationalism

I'll highlight the pertinent parts so perhaps you will get it this time

Apple confirmed the feature was part of its ultra-wideband technology, which is part of its flagship U1 chip available across its latest handset lineup. Apple claims this gives its devices "spatial awareness" to see where other ultra-wideband devices are.

Why would you need this? Apple touts the ability to give directionally aware suggestions to people using AirDrop to share files between devices. It is also believed that the technology will play a role in its upcoming Tile-style object tracking kit.

The problem is, ultra-wideband tech is heavily regulated , and there are certain parts of the world where you can't use it.

"Ultra-wideband technology is an industry standard technology and is subject to international regulatory requirements that require it to be turned off in certain locations," Apple told TC. "iOS uses Location Services to help determine if an iPhone is in these prohibited locations in order to disable ultra-wideband and comply with regulations."

Cupertino added that all location data pertaining to ultra-wideband compliance is processed on the device, with nothing sent to Apple's servers.

Further, Apple said it also planned on releasing a toggle to deactivate ultra-wideband — and thus the intermittent location tracking — in a future iOS update.

So.. much ado about nothing. No data leaves your device, apple has no data

Reactions: CarlJ and trsblader
Comment

!!!

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
Everything stays on your iPhone, unless of course it's recordings of your voice, then Timmy will personally eavesdrop on you!

Reactions: thevault
Comment

Khedron

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Tim's reputation is sufficiently trashed he's getting others to peddle his privacy nonsense now

Comment

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
There’s no doubt in my mind that Apple can be better trusted with my data than any other tech-co. With a liberal sprinkling of my own additional vigilance, I’m more confident in using their system than I would be any other. Can’t really hope for much more in this digital era.

At this point it doesn’t really matter. You use smart phones and smart devices connected to the internet.

Using Apple products just gives you a small sense of security. But it doesn’t really make a difference at this point. They got all of us already.

Reactions: Defthand
Comment

thevault

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
The fact that you keep referring to Cook as "Timmy" means that anything else you have to say can be immediately disregarded.

Thinking you have some kind of power on this thread is ?Laughable.......? Now, back to your safe space.?

Reactions: Huck
Comment

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
At this point it doesn’t really matter. You use smart phones and smart devices connected to the internet.

Using Apple products just gives you a small sense of security. But it doesn’t really make a difference at this point. They got all of us already.

Nonsense. I take my own measures to at least partially obfuscate my online signature. Alongside Apple's own attempts to retain some customer privacy, I am in a better place than if I just accepted your prognosis. Digital privacy is a complex discussion, but it's a conversation worth having. Otherwise your view becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Reactions: SDJim
Comment

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Nonsense. I take my own measures to at least partially obfuscate my online signature. Alongside Apple's own attempts to retain some customer privacy, I am in a better place than if I just accepted your prognosis. Digital privacy is a complex discussion, but it's a conversation worth having. Otherwise your view becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Ok. Obviously being self diligent in this modern digital world is important, but I think you missed the point.
You go online, they got you already.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So did Gurman publish this because he thinks it’s some big scoop? Honestly I don’t see what the big deal is. Apple has employees speaking at conferences and things like this all the time.

Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
There was no "catch"... your post is nothing but sensationalism

I'll highlight the pertinent parts so perhaps you will get it this time

So.. much ado about nothing. No data leaves your device, apple has no data
Meanwhile, your post is nothing but more like a PR spin by Apple.

About that "apple has no data", yeah, I shall only believe when I see.

They got caught red handed before and did not disclose ANYTHING until it was published.
They got caught about the location services now, so they are GOING TO add the toggle.
They got caught throttling the performance, so they finally admit they did that and THEN add the battery health "feature".

So go ahead, keep on spinning it. 😑

Comment

thevault

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
Everything stays on your iPhone, unless of course it's recordings of your voice, then Timmy will personally eavesdrop on you!

I don't think you got the message from Boo boo that using the name Timmy is not permitted....???????

The fact that you keep referring to Cook as "Timmy" means that anything else you have to say can be immediately disregarded.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013

or you can admit that you have no privacy anymore. Whether you use iOS or Android.

Comment

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)

They got caught red handed before and did not disclose ANYTHING until it was published.
They got caught about the location services now, so they are GOING TO add the toggle.
They got caught throttling the performance, so they finally admit they did that and THEN add the battery health "feature".

So go ahead, keep on spinning it. ?
So you're not going to believe anything Apple says until they give you the source code to all their apps and allow you into the "server room" to personally inspect the drives for your data? Good luck with that.

Do you hold Google to the same standard for Android? Microsoft for Windows? MacRumors? Your ISP? MacRumors host?

How are you even online?

• Love
Reactions: iGeneo
Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010

So go ahead, keep on spinning it. ?

No.. there was no "caught"

adios amigo

Comment

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

Snowden would agree. Apple’s privacy measures mostly prevent Apple from surveilling you. The measures don’t do much to curtail the cell service from tracking your whereabouts, keep an ISP from monitoring your web wanderings, or curb users from voluntarily agreeing to app EULAs that don’t explicitly reveal how they monetize their observations of them.

And how righteous is Apple being anyway? They already have a captive audience that they know plenty about to market their own goods to.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.