Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Are the Apple pro speakers good speakers? I'm not looking for some sort of uber-speaker or anything. But are they worth the $59? Or are there superior 3rd party speakers out there for 'bout the same price?

Lethal

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've never had the opportunity to listen to the Apple Pro Speakers.....although I understand they are supposed to sound really nice...

3rd party speakcer.....iSticks!! Harmon Kardon....those I've had the pleasure of test driving.....very.....very nice! :p

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
For the same price, you could probably find speakers a little better, but none would even come close to the looks of Apple's. I'm happy just to pay a little extra to have those pretty little things sitting on my desk!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Get the Apple, they are not that expensive and there would not be too much difference of what you can get for the same ammount. Go to some Best Buy first to be shure.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Check out the Apple Store

If you're lucky enough to have one close, go check out the speakers and the different configurations first hand. Circuit city might have them too.

I have a Bose Acoustimass system hooked up to mine so I'm use to something a little more, but the Apple pro speakers sound great in the store.

Besides, they look great.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have the Sound sicks and iSub

The pro speakers are ok. but the sound sicks are much much better. if your going to be doing any music lisoning on your mac... go for the sound sicks and iSub. I got a deal when I got mine. The Pro speakers have no low end at all. if you get those you almost have to get the isub to get any bass at all. The sound sicks sound good by them selves if you dont have the budget for the iSub.

my muisc geek friends made me liston to the Pro speakers before I mad up my mind about ordering them. They used them alot in Music school.. and they hatted them. So.. I went sound sicks.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Cool, I'll swing by Compusa and/or Best buy and take a listen to different setups. I'm pretty sure my local Compusa has Apple pros hooked to an iMac and iSticks hooked up to a quicksilver. BTW, how much does the iSub cost?

Lethal

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
actually...

I have my TiBook hooked up through my stereo.....he he he :p

that's the only reason why I haven't bought Apple Pros or Soundsticks...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: actually...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I have my TiBook hooked up through my stereo.....he he he :p

that's the only reason why I haven't bought Apple Pros or Soundsticks...

Okay, well... you suck. :p

Is the audio out on a G4 a standard "mini" jack, or is it some freakin' "Apple standard" (isn't that an oxymoron?). If the jack is not standard, can an adapter be easy purchased? Or am I gonna have to use duct tape, chicken wire, and airplane glue to get a normal set of computer speakers to work w/my G4? :D

Lethal

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: actually...

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

Okay, well... you suck. :p

Is the audio out on a G4 a standard "mini" jack, or is it some freakin' "Apple standard" (isn't that an oxymoron?). If the jack is not standard, can an adapter be easy purchased? Or am I gonna have to use duct tape, chicken wire, and airplane glue to get a normal set of computer speakers to work w/my G4? :D

Lethal

don't worry....u won't have to use some chickenwire to rig it up...he he he...

it's the same connector u would use to hook a discman or some other portable cd player to a stereo.....headphone jack on one end.....l & r rca on the other end....very inexpensive.....I think I picked it up at Radio Shack?

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
soundsticks

If you don't mind spending the extra money, get the H/K Soundsticks. They look great and they sounds great. By the way, there seems to be some confusion here about Soundsticks and iSub. The Soundsticks have their own subwoofer that looks like an iSub, but it's not an iSub. The Soundsticks plug into the subwoofer, which has a purplish LED built in - looks really cool at night, like some ghostly glowing jellyfish.

iSub is a different product. As someone mentioned, if you get the Apple Pro Speakers, you'll probably want to get an iSub for the bass response - I think it has a green LED :)

I have the Soundsticks (not iSticks) and I only wish I didn't have a landlord and roommates around all the time, so I could crank them up. I heard them playing without restriction at Macworld and they sounded awsome!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
get the isub and sticks
they go off but you don't listen to me so don't bother

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I have the Soundsticks with the sub at home, and they rock. I also connect my iMac to my home stereo like Eyes does. There is nothing like have 4,000 mp3s and 700 watts of power to make you feel young again ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
sound sticks

I would agree after seeing them that the sound sticks and iSub (iJellyfish) definitely rock.

If I was to replace my Bose sound system, that would be my choice.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Backtothemac
I have the Soundsticks with the sub at home, and they rock. I also connect my iMac to my home stereo like Eyes does. There is nothing like have 4,000 mp3s and 700 watts of power to make you feel young again ;)

what do u use for storage for 4,000 mp3s?

I've filled a bit over 5 gig on my external firewire for 1,000 already....will be needing an uprade later this year...

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
Don't buy the pro speakers : they only look good, the sound is good but they are very silent. When you put the max, you can almost just here it :)

The iSticks are very nice but they just cost to much, for that much of money you can buy speakers and a subwoofer...

edgecurve

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
Seattle
The Apple Pro speakers came with my new iMac. While the sound isn't stereo-system quality it is still very good. My iMac sits directly next to my PC that has Altec Lansing speakers and a subwoofer. The Apple Pro speakers sound like a fine bordeaux compared to the altec lansing that sounds like shlitz beer.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
From a former Apple retailer:

The top 5 products are:

A y-cable for your stereo: 5-10 bucks US assuming a short distance.

Cambridge Soundworks: VERY good sound all the way up to "window rattling" volume.

Altec Lansing: Good sound though the Bass is less precise and defined as the CSW's.

A good 20-75 dollar set of Koss or Sony headphones......all the thump without waking your neighbors.

Apple Soundsticks: Good overall mid-volume performance with very precise highs but the woofer has a tendency to "walk" when cranked up.

Note: Apple Pro speakers are too weak in their output to make the list. Good quality but limited low range and power.

The best sound we ever demo'd at the shop was BOTH the Altec-Lansings AND the Cambridge Soundworks with a 3rd party EQ. Those two sets filled each other's fade points in nicely.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I've never had the opportunity to listen to the Apple Pro Speakers.....although I understand they are supposed to sound really nice...

3rd party speakcer.....iSticks!! Harmon Kardon....those I've had the pleasure of test driving.....very.....very nice! :p

Did you know that the Apple pro Speakers are made by Harmon Kardon? The mono speaker in the Quicksilver is too. The Sound sticks sound sticks just sound much better.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida

what do u use for storage for 4,000 mp3s?

I've filled a bit over 5 gig on my external firewire for 1,000 already....will be needing an uprade later this year...

:p It drives my wife up a wall! I have a 40 gig internal in my iMac. The MP3's total about 19 gigs of the drive. I have an 80 gig external firewire drive for video, and other stuff. The neat thing is that I backed them up and it took over 30 CD's to burn them all too :p

When I say it drives my wife crazy. Have you seen the beer comercial where the girl is in bed and says "honey, I have on the black teddy". He responds be there in a sec. She says, "I have the satin sheets on the bed". He responds "OK". She says "I have budlight", and the guy goes running upstairs. Change the line I have budlight to "I am ripping CD's", and I go running like a dog :D

Hey, your in New Orleans right. Do you remember the band Metal Rose from there?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Backtothemac

:p It drives my wife up a wall! I have a 40 gig internal in my iMac. The MP3's total about 19 gigs of the drive. I have an 80 gig external firewire drive for video, and other stuff. The neat thing is that I backed them up and it took over 30 CD's to burn them all too :p

When I say it drives my wife crazy. Have you seen the beer comercial where the girl is in bed and says "honey, I have on the black teddy". He responds be there in a sec. She says, "I have the satin sheets on the bed". He responds "OK". She says "I have budlight", and the guy goes running upstairs. Change the line I have budlight to "I am ripping CD's", and I go running like a dog :D

Hey, your in New Orleans right. Do you remember the band Metal Rose from there?

well u must either know who I am or this just a big coincidence that u asked me about Metal Rose...I actually work for Darrin (drummer)...so yes I know the guys in Metal Rose....Bag O Donuts...Darrin's in Krush UK & The Molly Ringwalds now...

are u from here?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by evildead

Did you know that the Apple pro Speakers are made by Harmon Kardon? The mono speaker in the Quicksilver is too. The Sound sticks sound sticks just sound much better.

congrats on your 600 evil... :p

I did know that they were Harmon Kardon...weren't they the ones in the original iMacs as well?

it makes sense when u see the Apple Pros & the Soundsticks next to each other....they look like brother & sister!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida

well u must either know who I am or this just a big coincidence that u asked me about Metal Rose...I actually work for Darrin (drummer)...so yes I know the guys in Metal Rose....Bag O Donuts...Darrin's in Krush UK & The Molly Ringwalds now...

are u from here?

No friggin way! I met Bobby in 1988 at the University of Alabama. He dated a friend of mine Rachel. I have had to much fun with those guys. One summer me and some friends went on the road following them, too much fun. I have not talked to them in a while, but think about them all the time. Ask Darin if he remembers Chuck. Man it is a small world! Do they still play down there at all? I would love to come and see them sometime.

I also used to live down there, in the quarter. I worked at the Tropical Isle and Funky Pirate as a doorman.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.