Apple Product similar to Google Drive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Nov 13, 2013.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Hi I would like to get away from Google Drive and streamline everything into Apple. I've been searching for a native Apple product that is similar to Google Drive but can't find anything.

What I do is export and import to Google Drive often and Google Drive converts the file I'm importing whether it be in form of a spreadsheet, word doc etc. I also like to store zip files in Drive. When I need to open a zip file I use WinZip.

Does Apple offer a native platform like Google Drive?

2. cynics macrumors G3

Not that I'm aware of. Closest thing is iCloud and in reality that's nothing like Drive.

Any reason you are looking to rid yourself of drive? Sounds like it does everything you need it too, for free (to an extent). Does that sound like something Apple would offer? Lol

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

If you just want to get away from Google, there's always Dropbox and the iWork suite, which together approximate Google Drive's features.

You'd use Dropbox for sharing files between computers (like your ZIPs). You could drop a Word or Excel document into iWork on iCloud, and then view and edit the document on a Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPad.

But, again, if Google Drive is working for you, why change?

4. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

So to use totally Apple you need Drop Box?

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Dropbox is not an apple service

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Exactly the point he was making. ;)

7. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Wonder why Apple doesn't have a platform similar to Google Drive.

8. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

What's wrong with Google Drive? It syncs onto any device quite well.

9. jsf721 macrumors 6502

The problem with Google is that they get you hooked on their product and then oull it for apple users. Just like the push for gmail. I am so pissed off at them for that. Not i need to change my email account and it is just a PITA to deal with.

It would be much simpler if Apple provided these services for apple devices so that you could be sure that they would be here for the forseeable future.

Sorry for the rant but I has been a struggle to get the email changed.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They used to. It was called iDisk, but unfortunately, Jobs axed it in the transition to iCloud. Why, I have no idea. But I ended up switching to dropbox because of the discontinuation.

In all likelihood, they discontinued it because they were afraid they couldn't scale it when transitioning from a fully paid service (MobileMe) to a freemium-type model (iCloud)

11. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Google Drive works very well for me.

I use it on all my Macs, iPad & Smartphones. After using Skydrive & iCloud I greatly prefer Drive.

Especially given how well it works with the vast plethora of Google Apps.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Steve tried to buy Dropbox but they wouldn't sell it to Apple.

13. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

I prefer Apple platforms but Apple doesn't seem to have anything that's similar to Google Drive.

I use iCloud for contacts, reminders and calendars. And use my gmail account for apps.

I want one to have one platform and it seems like Google will be best for me.

14. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

If you download google+ and set that up it will notify you of emails. Pretty much like push.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

You mean just the Gmail app.

16. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Can you tell me what google+ is?

17. cynics macrumors G3

You are upset Google doesn't continue to pay (Microsoft) for a non customer to use a service for free. Or that Apple refuses to pay for a loyal customer to use a service for free?

Misplaced anger, be grateful you ever had it. Be like an Android user being upset that Apple offers NO services at all too them, meanwhile Google has a dozen free apps and services in the Apple AppStore.

I guess I could see the irritation of getting used to it then it being taken away but Google still offers a solution (albeit not perfect). At the same time you're looking a gift horse in the month.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FWIW, putting all your eggs in one basket is asking for trouble.

19. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Which brings me to an issue I have with iCloud.
    Consider what others offer (Dropbox/SkyDrive/Box) I think Apple should rethink their policy.

It should be at least 5gigs per device, not account.

If I buy a new phone, 5 gigs is tied to that device, etc.
    Or I get another 5 gigs to my total.

If I keep in their ecosystem and have 6 or 7 of their devices, 5 gigs doesn't go very far.

20. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I hate the idea of not having push email and changing email addresses is a huge pita. I don't like getting used to something that works and changing. Google and Apple should offer tools for their customers. I went gmail on all family devices years ago. We have good easy email addresses that cannot be had on newer services because they are used.

Will I survive yes but I don't like it. Make me Leary of starting to use sky drive or google drive for the same reasons.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's part of the price of something that is free.

22. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

will box.com work?

it has free storage (up to a certain point) and looks like you can edit docs in the cloud, but I haven't tried it to compare to Drive so I'm not too sure.

EDIT: I know it's not Apple, but it could be worth a try compared to using DropBox, etc.

23. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

24. hafr macrumors 68030

Why don't you get your own domain? It's quite cheap, and you'll get whichever address you want...