Apple Products Top U.S. Retail Desktop and Notebook Sales Lists

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

CNET reports on new data from market research NPD showing that Apple models grabbed the top spots in both the desktop and notebook computer U.S. retail sales lists for the month of October. Among desktops, the company's new 21.5" iMac grabbed the #1 spot, with the 27" iMac taking the third spot. In the notebook category, Apple's entry-level 13" MacBook Pro took top honors, with three other Apple notebooks finishing in the top ten.

NPD previously reported that Apple had recorded nearly half of U.S. desktop retail revenue during October, pointing to the launch of new iMacs and a slowdown in Windows-based computer sales ahead of the release of Windows 7 as factors contributing to the company's strong performance during the month. NPD's Stephen Baker again cited those factors in the release of its latest data.
"Apple gets a bounce whenever they come out with new computers," Baker said. "For the most part, October was a down month on the Windows side because [PC manufacturers] were working through inventory before the Windows 7 launch."
NPD's data covers only online and retail store sales and does not include direct sales, resulting in an incomplete picture of the true market. It does, however, provide an interesting glimpse into the performance of Apple and other manufacturers.

Article Link: Apple Products Top U.S. Retail Desktop and Notebook Sales Lists

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Q4 is looking good now. The new iMacs seem to be drawing lots of attention.

Comment

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
its amazing how fast apple is growing... and the iphone has shown people the light, including myself.:apple:

Comment

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
NPD Research is the same group that claimed indirectly last week that Apple sold 25% of all laptops and desktops.

A survey company for which people voluntarily enroll for prizes.

Hmm. Apple is gaining ground but NPD'd data never passes the sniff test.

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Great news if you an Apple shareholder...but remember this report is about REVENUE.

Considering Macs are 1.5-3 times the price of a PC, you don't need to sell as many Macs to rein in as much money as a PC.

Let's also remember this is a report for the month of October...the same month that Apple released all new Macs...so all those people holding out in June, July, Aug, etc. are gonna run out and buy in October because Apple only releases new Macs once a year.

Again, I applaud Apple for the great REVENUE...let's see the charts at the end of the year for Market Share position.

-Eric

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I wonder if those sales take into account all the new imac returns :) I think i will hold out till Jan to get my replacement.

Comment

mzeb

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Hmmm, watch the numbers

While I still think it's good news (and good PR) this is only number of units/product not total volume. Think of it this way: Apple has four and only four laptop models. If you buy Apple you buy one of these four. Dell currently has eleven laptop models (not counting netbooks) and HP has nine. By those numbers Dell could ship almost three times as many units and HP more than double the number of units as Apple and still not have a top product despite shipping more. Numbers are funny things if you read them flat. Don't take this too far...

Comment

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Get ready for viruses!

Hackers and Virus makers have been holding off because it just wasn't worth it... but if the number of Apple computers increases this drastically... it's gonna start sounding like good business (to evil hackers and virus spewers).

Comment

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
How could MS and Dell possibly encompass the quantification of everything?
He just means that Trollmaster, I mean BRLawyer always says the same about different companies that aren't Apple.

Please, defend Apple all you want, just don't defend stupidity.

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Perhaps not....

Quite decent, as the momentum seems likely to continue.
Net Applications has this headline:

Windows 7 Breaks 5% in Daily Tracking - Mac Share Drops .15% in November

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/rep...pcustom=Windows+7&qpsp=3941&qpnp=49&sample=10

(If the link doesn't work, click "Featured Reports" in the left nav pane, and select "Windows 7 Breaks 5% in Daily Tracking - Mac Share Drops .15% in November" from the list.)

Looking at it another way, Apple's share dropped 2.8% from October -- from 5.27% to 5.12% (a drop of 0.15% from 5.27% is a 2.8% drop).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.