Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new "The Next Generation" ad that showcases Apple TV+ content for kids.

"Original series and films to inspire the next generation of dreamers, explorers, and believers. All on Apple TV+," the video description says.

The ad features the Apple TV+ kids shows "Ghost Writer," "Helpsters," "Snoopy in Space," and the short-film "Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth."

The ad is part of Apple's drive to increase Apple TV+ subscriptions amid heated competition from other rival streaming services, such as Disney+ and Netflix, which have a wealth of content aimed at children. Earlier this week, it rumors suggested Apple is considering buying some older shows, in addition to its original productions, to make the Apple TV+ library more competitive.

Apple TV+ provides original movies and TV shows for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, plus there's a free year of service for those who have recently purchased an Apple device. For those who don't qualify for the free year, Apple offers a one-week free trial. Check out our step-by-step instructions for getting up and running from various devices.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Apple TV+ for Kids in New Ad

Last edited:

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Apple should just give up on content.

They're getting better! The talks of acquiring back catalogs will go along way, but even in terms of their current original content, I think they are doing fine. Apple TV + was never going to "topple" Netflix or Disney +, but in these age where everyone is getting into the streaming game (and after Apple Music) this was a natural progression.

I've enjoyed a few series on the platform & I['m looking forward to the Tom Hanks film. It's only $4.99 a month, which is very reasonable for their current offerings.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and BlueDawg1

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I wish Apple would launch a YouTube alternative. They already make great camcorders and editing software, and they have a distribution platform.

I’ve been thinking lately of areas where I’d like to see the Apple touch and I’ve thought of both YouTube and Amazon. The first is right up Apple’s alley. Transform iMovie into an online platform with an easy share button.
On the second point, Amazon absolutely needs competition. Their monopoly is concerning and is a strategic advantage over Apple — see Amazon Echo. While Apple‘s brand isn’t a good fit for general retail, I can see them buying up an emerging online retailer and running them as an arms length company like Beats with tie ins to Apple through Siri.

• Wow
Reactions: Expos of 1969

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Transform iMovie into an online platform with an easy share button

That would be a welcomed feature, but realistically it doesn't fit Apple's DNA. Apple won't really play well outside their sandbox.

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
Content moderation is such an impossible task that I doubt anyone at Apple wants to have to tackle.

I mean the biggest issues with Google come because it’s free to upload. Apple can stop most crap by requiring people pay to contribute, much like the App Store.

Anony-mouse

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
The AppleTV TV app does not have a Passcode option to control access to mature content, unlike the Movie app. Age-based content filtering In tvOS is an all-or-nothing setting, and profiles do not do squat in terms of enforcing age level restrictions.

So the kids can watch everything on AppleTV if you use it too. At least Netflix got it right In the way they implement profiles.

This is the biggest fail of the TV app. Apple can definitely do better than this.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Apple should just give up on content.

Ok, I get it. That’s the popular thing to do these days - rag on the content for a service that just started. But if you actually watch the content, you’ll realize that some of it is REALLY good and as good if not better than what you’d find on Netflix. I’ve been really impressed with Apple TV+ content so far and I definitely hope they don’t give up on content.

brucewayne

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
The AppleTV TV app does not have a Passcode option to control access to mature content, unlike the Movie app. Age-based content filtering In tvOS is an all-or-nothing setting, and profiles do not do squat in terms of enforcing age level restrictions.

So the kids can watch everything on AppleTV if you use it too. At least Netflix got it right In the way they implement profiles.

This is the biggest fail of the TV app. Apple can definitely do better than this.

Agreed. But this is a problem of tvOS in general. Even with parental controls set the os still displays cover art for what should be gated content and there is also no way to display only purchased content. It would be nice if my kid could listen to her Disney music or watch the iTunes TV Shows we have bought for her without having to surf through album covers with naked ladies and violent movie posters.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Apple has done really well with most of their content, but they just have so little. In a week you can binge it all. Until they have more they will just be a tiny fish in the pond. I just watched the Mythic Quest Quarantine episode and thought it was one of the best things done recently. Ready for more.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Ok, I get it. That’s the popular thing to do these days - rag on the content for a service that just started. But if you actually watch the content, you’ll realize that some of it is REALLY good and as good if not better than what you’d find on Netflix. I’ve been really impressed with Apple TV+ content so far and I definitely hope they don’t give up on content.
why did you assume i didn’t watch any of it?

i watched many and only liked the morning show. they weren’t better than some of the things i’ve seen on Netflix.

• Haha
Reactions: Ar40

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Still flogging that dead horse pumped up full of steroids?

My kids love the Netflix catalog, and occasionally go with some shows (Penguins) and movies on Amazon Prime. I recently gave in to Disney+ for the SW and Pixar back catalogues. That's more than enough content to be going on with, so safe to assume they'd have ZERO interest in ATV+ judging by this.

I do wish Apple would stick to what they do best or at least do more than follow a Captain Obvious marketeer's cringe-inducing idea of "hey I know, let's do something for the kids!" :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: ipedro

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Apple is the last company I would trust to curate content for my children.
In theory I would trust Apple far more than Google, Amazon or Disney, when it comes to what my kids should watch.

However, in practice, Apple demonstrates bad taste when it come to kids TV programming, lacking imagination or any quality filter. They appear to have hired Disney rejects to do this work. And are stuck in a Pixar loop. But it’s all generic crap, not fit to feed young minds - and so unimaginative that it will never stimulate a new generation of Jobs or Wozniaks.

A sensible course for Apple would be to partner with BBC/Ceebeebies and a couple of other international companies of the level of Studio Ghibli.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Apple is the last company I would trust to curate content for my children.

Apple has had an excellent track record of giving parents control of content on their devices. Their privacy efforts are best in the biz if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.