Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest iPhone ad humorously demonstrates how Face ID is more convenient and secure than Touch ID for user authentication.

Timed with midsummer, the 30-second spot depicts a man napping on a reclining lounger in a backyard. After receiving a trio of iMessage notifications on his iPhone XR, he slowly raises the lounger to line up his face with the iPhone and unlocks the device with Face ID, all while continuing to lay down.

The messages come from a friend named Craig, who asks the man if he still plans to come around, suggesting that the two had made plans together. Instead, the man promptly returns to his nap alongside his dog. The ad is aptly titled "Nap" and features the song "Nice" by Grammy Award-winning DJ Latroit.

iphone-face-id-ad-nap-800x422.jpg

Face ID debuted on the iPhone X in 2017. At the time, Apple said the probability that a random person could unlock someone else's iPhone X was approximately one in 1,000,000, versus one in 50,000 for Touch ID.

The ad is part of Apple's ongoing "That's iPhone" marketing campaign promoting both hardware and software features of the device, such as iMessage encryption, App Store privacy, iPhone material recycling, and water resistance. "Face ID is even easier and more secure than Touch ID. That's iPhone."

Update 1:40 pm: Apple has also released a new short feature-focused ad with a similar tagline emphasizing that Face ID is more secure than Touch ID.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Face ID as Even Easier and More Secure Than Touch ID in Humorous New iPhone Ad

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Great, thanks Apple. Like we really need more fuel to the “TouchID vs FaceID” fire.

Incoming people complaining about how TouchID is superior to FaceID and how they’ll never buy a new iPhone until TouchID is back, and others claiming that FaceID is 1000x easier/safer and they can use it with gloves on etc. etc.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I've had (and still have) an iPhone 7 since launch. I bought the new (2018) iPad Pro 12.9" a few months back. I'm not planning on upgrading the 7 until it's on death's door, but I have to say that I vastly prefer Face ID.

As someone who occasionally works with his hands I find myself typing in my 6-Digit pin more than using my fingerprint (since the 7 only recognizes my fingerprint about 50% of the time). I'm really looking forward to Face ID on my phone in the future. It's way easier for me.

I also understand other consumers' desire for choice in their biometric, but I'm guessing it costs more to offer both.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
SUREEEEEE just be laying sideways and try to unlock your phone. Faceid is HORRIBLE for lounging around. Especially in bed. I don't know how many times a day I have to put in my passcode because it never picks up my face laying on something or not having the phone perfectly straight. Try unlocking the phone on a table not directly over it also.
Show what really happens apple can you do that?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well, this seems to signal that they don't intend to bring Touch ID back on future devices.
even though they have a patent for under screen fingerprint sensor. Give it time. FaceId is a small transition phase to get us full screen displays but touchid will come back when the technology is ready and they can get rid of the notch for good and have a full screen phone.

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
I don't care how easy it is; facial recognition on my phone would be far too creepy.
Perhaps TouchID won't return, in which case I don't look forward to the necessity of returning to a PIN or finding a suitable Apple Watch replacement for use with Android.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
My faceID never works at the distance depicted in the ad, nor would it work at the angle depicted.

Also doesn’t work in bright sunlight, or holding the phone in landscape mode, or in bed with the side your face smooshed in a pillow - never had any of these issues with touchID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.