Apple promotes gaming on new 13" MBP (LOL)

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Was just browsing the apple site looking at the underwhelming upgrades across the Macbook pro line. Has anyone noticed that they give gaming benchmarks under the 13" MBP performance section?

They're using 6-year old games like Doom 3 and UT 2004...what a crock.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I can't imagine the reactions Steve and Co. would get if they announced this MBP refresh at an actual event like they used to. "Amazing HD graphics with nVidia 320m! 1.8x speed of the previous generation 9400m! Cutting edge graphics for Unreal Tournament 2004 and Doom3!"....LOL

Then again, there are some crazy Apple fanatics out there that would have cheered their hearts out for a 0.13GHz bump, heh.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I was playing AION on the gf's 13inch 2009 MBP recently on medium/high. Really gorgeous. Performed flawlessly in siege PvP too, and that's really taxing. Most people on high end desktops were complaining of crashes.

I had to use her 13inch because my 15inch from 2007 couldn't handle sieges even on low with all the character models turned off..

Emerica

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
The 13" screen sucks to be honest. I'm currently on a 13" and I hate it and I don't even play games. I can't wait to upgrade to a 15" MBP. But I could imagine gaming would not be pleasant on that shrimp-screen.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
My 13" MBP plays Sims 3 on highest settings very well. Slight stuttering at certain points but not bad at all.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
LOL. Yeah......... that 13" is a real "A+ upgrade", Steve...... :rolleyes:

But did he ever claim it would be an A+ update. I heard the rumor about the iPhone but not Mac's. So why would you hold him to words that he never said regarding Mac's. Seems silly, I dont think he ever claimed these would be A+ updates, I think you created that in your head. Just sayin'

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Why fix it? I have a late 09 Macbook. Plays games fine, played games via Bootcamp on Win all the time. Runs fine, dont over exaggerate.
It was a joke fella, take it easy. But regardless, the 13" macbook pro is not a gaming machine by any standards. 3-4 fps in modern games is not considered playable by most. Also, playing games on ultra low detail settings is fine for some, but most gamers prefer to at least have some eye candy while playing games.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
It was a joke fella, take it easy. But regardless, the 13" macbook pro is not a gaming machine by any standards. 3-4 fps in modern games is not considered playable by most. Also, playing games on ultra low detail settings is fine for some, but most gamers prefer to at least have some eye candy while playing games.
Didn't come off as funny or a joke, just sayin'

I'm a gamer myself, but IMO I game well on Mac's. For me I keep the heavy lifting of gaming to my PS3 or 360. I think any "hardcore" gamer wouldn't get a Mac to game in the first place.

Be good !

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I'm a gamer myself, but IMO I game well on Mac's. For me I keep the heavy lifting of gaming to my PS3 or 360. I think any "hardcore" gamer wouldn't get a Mac to game in the first place.

Be good !
Agree 100%, 200% in fact. But for a casual gamer who's only choice is a Mac (my exact situation) the 13" just doesn't cut it. I just found it interesting that Apple was trying to present the 13" machine as a semi-gaming laptop by using benchmarks of older games.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Was just browsing the apple site looking at the underwhelming upgrades across the Macbook pro line. Has anyone noticed that they give gaming benchmarks under the 13" MBP performance section?

They're using 6-year old games like Doom 3 and UT 2004...what a crock.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html
ahh, doom 3 and quake 4 are very very demanding games considering their release date. I think its fine to use them as an example, this is an ultraportable (imo) mac laptop were talking about, not a 7 pound windows one.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
Well, when Steam comes out, I think that's going to change things substantially.

Team Fortress 2 runs on a 13" rather nicely, I know because I've seen it happen. It's not an Alienware tower but it gets you to the point where any deaths are your fault and not the hardware holding you back.

You only really need TF2 and Portal anyway. Any extra games are entirely superfluous.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Agree 100%, 200% in fact. But for a casual gamer who's only choice is a Mac (my exact situation) the 13" just doesn't cut it. I just found it interesting that Apple was trying to present the 13" machine as a semi-gaming laptop by using benchmarks of older games.

Current available 13inch MBP

2.66GHz Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
4GB RAM

Below, 2 of the most gfx intensive games I've played recently on a lesser powered 2009 MBP

Modern Warfare 2
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better

AION
Pentium 4 2.8GHz, AMD Athlon 2800
1GB RAM
GeForce 6600, Radeon X1550

I played them on medium settings, flawlessly. I've no idea what you mean when you say the new MBP doesn't cut it for gaming. Games look beautiful on the old 13 inch base model, would love to game on the new setup.

Here's some guy getting fragged on MW2 on an older 13 incher with the 9400M and only 2GB RAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqOEkm6s5ik

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
ahh, doom 3 and quake 4 are very very demanding games considering their release date. I think its fine to use them as an example, this is an ultraportable (imo) mac laptop were talking about, not a 7 pound windows one.
These games are still used in some benchmarks, so sure it's ok, but think of someone looking at that page who knows little about games: "Unreal 2004...man that sounds pretty old". There are smaller and cheaper windows laptops that have much more gaming power than

Well, when Steam comes out, I think that's going to change things substantially.

Team Fortress 2 runs on a 13" rather nicely, I know because I've seen it happen. It's not an Alienware tower but it gets you to the point where any deaths are your fault and not the hardware holding you back.

You only really need TF2 and Portal anyway. Any extra games are entirely superfluous.
Valve has really done some wonderful things with the Source engine, and it's hardware requirements are relatively low. I hope they pull it off well on the OSX platform.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
Valve has really done some wonderful things with the Source engine, and it's hardware requirements are relatively low. I hope they pull it off well on the OSX platform.
Tell me about it. I seriously cannot wait to get that MacBook Pro, fire it up, and immediately download Steam. And - because I own the PC versions of the games - it isn't going to cost me a thing. I can get stuck in immediately, getting shouted at by 12-year-old Germans who have built a sentry on the bridge of 2fort.

Man, I love Valve.