Apple Promotes iAds With Land Rover Case Study

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though Apple has had some difficulties with its iAd mobile advertising network, the company just published a new case study (via TechCrunch) and video promoting the success Land Rover had advertising with iAd on the iPhone.

Among the other more interesting tidbits on Apple's 'Brands' page are some statistics on iOS usage including that users spend 73 minutes per day on average using apps, and that users who click on an iAd spend an average of 60 seconds per visit.

When Land Rover set out to introduce the all-new Range Rover Evoque the goal was to engage an all-new audience. The iAd Network identified the perfect target and worked with Mindshare and Y&R Group to bring the Land Rover experience to them in an innovative way. With 80 seconds spent on average with the ad, Ken Bracht, Communications Manager with Land Rover North America, noted that "There is a difference between someone sitting on their couch absorbing that 30-second television ad and someone actually engaged in their iPhone or their iPad. There's definitely higher attentiveness with something like an iAd as opposed to a television ad."
Apple has made several changes to iAd to increase both developer and advertiser adoption. It has slashed the minimum ad buy to $100,000 -- down from $1 million originally -- and increased the share of advertising that's paid to developers from 60% to 70%. Andy Miller, Apple's former head of the iAd division, left the company only 18 months after Apple purchased Quattro Wireless -- the company that became iAd.

Article Link: Apple Promotes iAds With Land Rover Case Study

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I never click on iAds or even really notice them, but after watching this video, I actually downloaded the iAds gallery app so I could try it out. What a great way to advertise a car!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I'm all for it! Advertisement brings Apps to me I would have never bought without the "free but with advertizing" version. It's a Win-Win. If I like the App, I'll buy it and in the meantime, the programmers get money for me having advertisement.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm all for it! Advertisement brings Apps to me I would have never bought without the "free but with advertizing" version. It's a Win-Win. If I like the App, I'll buy it and in the meantime, the programmers get money for me having advertisement.
Exactly. I really honestly believe that applications priced over $4.99 CAN/USA funds, should have the 'FREE with iAds' option in the store. Essentially given users 2 buttons of choice to select. Make the premium applications not just add free but with significant features/options - not removing essential options "FROM" the free add. This in turn gives users an incentive: 30/60/80/90 seconds (90 being maximum) for initial application launch (and every 10th launch or every 30days launched) - not only will the developer still get paid ... BUT this slight inconvenience "may/will" prompt the user to pay for the premium application just to not be inconvenienced. BUT if quality ads like this Range Rover Evoque is like then maybe not an inconvience at all but a visual reminder for a user 'wanting' to purchase that crossover-suv ... something they can aspire two.

Just a radical thought on how iAds can benefit everyone.
PS: Keep in mind that this Evoque is catered to females - whom usually budget a LOT better than men due and the Evoque is styled by Posh Spice. ;)

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
users who accidentally click on an iAd spend an average of 60 seconds per visit trying to find the close button.
fixed.

I kid. I hardly even read ads so I am a bit surprised the time spend interacting with ads is longer than 15 seconds.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I'm amazed that marketers are constantly trying to tell the ad-block crowd that advertising works..

C

champ01

Make me a Land Rover with the option to run on water or air and you wouldn't need any advertising.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I understand the value of iAds to Apple & the advertisers, but they reduce what is already a tiny viewing area of the 3.5" display down to minuscule proportions.

Therefore in my case they are a major annoyance.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Well, the simple fact is I don't use ad-supported apps very much, but when an iAd that looks compelling appears, I generally click on it, navigate through it, sometimes you even get a free song or something. They're not bad, not bad at all.

The ads I don't like though are the ones advertising apps. Not compelling in the least. Sometimes informative, but not compelling.

drmacnut

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2005
Hawaii
Land Rovers that Float!

Make me a Land Rover with the option to run on water or air and you wouldn't need any advertising.
Haha Champ! It has been done! I saw it with my own eyes when I was in my 20s! Here are two pix from a quick Google image search for "landrover floats on water at cowes". Love my Landies! (Too bad the new farm/workhorse models are not imported into the US any more!)

MYB

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Earth
Maybe a bit off topic, but it's too bad the bluetooth connection between my 4S and my 2007 RRS requires "repairing" each the car is turned off....

Hearlessex

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
It's simply exaggeration. I also support the comments-Make me a Land Rover with the option to run on water or air and you wouldn't need any advertising.

Noriskngain

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
I support the comments-Make me a Land Rover with the option to run on water or air and you wouldn't need any advertising.

Togethwer

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I support the comments-Make me a Land Rover with the option to run on water or air and you wouldn't need any advertising.