Apple Promotes iMac Pro as 'Most Powerful Mac Ever' With Series of Short Films

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

To demonstrate how the iMac Pro is the most powerful Mac ever, Apple recently invited a group of filmmakers, CG artists, and graphics designers to create a series of short films using its advanced technologies.

The artists include creative director Erin Sarofsky, motion graphics designer Esteban Diácono, 3D artist Luigi Honorat, director and designer Michelle Dougherty, design and motion studio ManvsMachine, and an integrated collective of designers, artists, and storytellers from production company Buck.

From concept development through final preparations for render, Apple says the iMac Pro was at the center of the creative work. The fine print does note that additional equipment was used for final rendering of 3D content.

[​IMG]

Each film is accompanied by a behind-the-scenes video showing how the iMac Pro fit into the creative process, alongside a list of software tools used and testimonials about how great the iMac Pro is. Apple hasn't shared the films on its YouTube channel yet, so it's unclear if they'll double as TV ads.

iMac Pro was described as "blazingly fast" in an early review. Based on benchmarks, the mid-range model with a 10-core 3.0GHz Intel Xeon processor is up to 45 percent faster than the high-end 2013 Mac Pro. The 10-core iMac Pro is also up to 93 percent faster than the latest top-of-the-line 27-inch 5K iMac.

Watch the Films: "iMac Pro: The most powerful Mac ever. Pushed to the limits."

Update: Apple has now uploaded some of the videos to its YouTube channel.

Article Link: Apple Promotes iMac Pro as 'Most Powerful Mac Ever' With Series of Short Films

2. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

"additional equipment was used for final rendering of 3D content"

So they needed to use something even more powerful than the most powerful Mac ever?

Also, how much more powerful than this beast will the future Mac Pro need to be?

3. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

4. now i see it macrumors 68030

Rendering 3D animations is never done on the design workstation (by professionals). Rendering animations takes forever. It's typically done over the network via banks & banks of mega core Windows based servers.

5. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Apple should bring:

- User-upgradable headless Macs. Fight programmed obsolescence.
    - Standalone Thunderbolt 3 displays. CPU may last 7 years, but displays last more than 20 years.
    - Wired Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad & wired Magic Mouse 2. Batteries are obnoxious.

6. era86 macrumors newbie

Of course everything new will always be the most powerful Mac ever, if you only ever compare your own products. Marketing wank.

7. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

8. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Guys. Come on. It’s gray. Gray is a more than a dark silver. It’s the most powerful color Apple has ever used.

9. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

Yeah. I wish i could connect my crt green phosphor monitor to my mac dude. Good idea. Do you specialize in marketing?

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

O.T.
    I disagree about wired mice/keyboard/trackpad, IMO those wires are always in the way or stuck.
    I myself have both the trackpad and keyboard, both wireless, I always have fresh batteries near me, takes just a minute to get new ones in.

11. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

12. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

And with the current version of both, you can sometimes completely forget they have a battery between charges!

13. Caedan Lavender macrumors newbie

I know right! That’s why I’m always annoyed when they announce the new iPhone etc and claim that its the most powerful iPhone yet — I’d be worried if it wasn’t.

14. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

Must be fun changing those batteries in the Magic Mouse 2!

15. iBluetooth macrumors member

Not Linux machines?

16. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Oh dear that's so sad :(
    Imagine promoting your most expensive highest end computing product then having to say you used additional equipment to produce what you are showing to the public.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    This is the type of sad admission that is embarrassing.
    Windows is junk etc etc, use Apple.
    But we need to use Windows machines to get the REAL work done.

Oh dear.
    Kinda reminds me, if you ever see people using Windows machines to create Apple products.
    All it does is maintain the image that you use Windows for serious work to actually get something done

17. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

...most powerful...and expensive one...but boy would I like to own one.

18. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

-BigMac-

I hope they include the Titan XP/GTX 20XX for the modular Mac Pro.

19. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

That's right - the 800x600 CRT from 1998 is still in use today, especially since there have been no massive breakthroughs in display technology in the last 20 years...

This is something Apple has said will be coming with the new Mac Pro. But even if you can upgrade a Mac yourself, there will come a point when you will have to replace the entire unit. ~7 years is probably the longest you can keep most computers running, as CPU architecture changes require new motherboards, which may require new RAM.

Even custom-built PC's need to be replaced over time. As soon as a motherboard change is required due to CPU changes, the entire thing will need to be replaced.

20. KingOfStuff macrumors regular

KingOfStuff

I always thought a great way to do this (since apple likes soldered custom mobos) would be to sell entire mobos that could be installed in an imac. Lets say that if the screen could be pulled off and then simply install the new mobo.

21. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Completely beat me to it.

Might as well call it "Our newest model yet". :rolleyes:

22. PickUrPoison, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Pros regularly use render farms, often cloud-based, where they can throw dozens or hundreds of CPUs/GPUs at their project for final renders.

23. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

You officially have my favorite comment ever.

24. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

Beat me to it. Steve aura of wonder is fading, fast. Took a while, but it's getting noticeable. Apple needs another Steve, someone like Elon Musk, make us wonder and dream. And most importantly, deliver truly power horses. Stupid pursue of slimming down everything, remove ports and emoji bars... what the ****.

25. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Wouldn't that same logic apply to everyone?

I mean... Dell and HP never had a Steve Jobs character... yet they're still around. Hell... NO other company had a Steve Jobs character.

And if I remember correctly... Steve started the "thin" nonsense. I'm not sure why you'd want to continue down that road.

Perhaps if you want the next Mac Pro to be amazing... maybe Apple should hire whoever designed HP's Z-series workstations.

Workstations just need to work... not wonder and dream... :p