Apple Promotes this as Must have APP with the 9.7" iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Mar 30, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Apple's website while promoting the 9.7" iPad Pro advertises Scanner Pro 7 is it like a must have APP ? Do you guys also think so ? I was thinking getting it, until I saw it was a Paid APP do you guys think ? It is a handy thing to have ? will it be any useful ? How is it useful ? is it a useful APP ?

image.png

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Is there something wrong with PAID apps?

???

Btw, yes, it's awesome. I haven't used a fax in years.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

No nothing's wrong with Paid APP's it is just a little over $4 I am just first trying to find out of it is something that can really help me in productivity or utility so asking other's opinion.

4. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

What is the name of this app? I would like to get it

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's cheaper than a Starbucks coffee. Go for it.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I usually just take a picture and text or email it
    I guess this has more functionality, but I haven't needed anything more

7. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Not sure if it's any better than Genius Scan, but that one was free for me and I swear by the thing.

8. BenB19 macrumors newbie

I use Evernote scannable it works well and is free if that helps.

9. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

Scanner Pro is a great app. If I recall correctly they've added OCR to the PDF creation. I use it on my phone quite often. Not sure how much I'd use it on an iPad.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The question is do you have a need for the app? YOU need to make that choice. Some would have no need and other would find it very good. It depends on you.

The best apps are not free.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. Rafterman macrumors 68000

If you need to scan documents with your iPad, get it, it one of the best at doing that. But don't get it just because Apple says its "must have".

13. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

But can someone tell me how does this APP help ? It just scans a document so I can save it as a JPEG or a PDF so that I can access it later ? is that all what it does ? But how about just clicking the picture with a camera APP from the iPhone whenever I have the need, how is this opposed to that ?

14. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

This one was FREE yesterday, but I'm not sure if it still is.

Smart PDF Scanner: Scan Documents and Receipts to PDF
    https://appsto.re/us/BXV73.i

15. David.L macrumors newbie

David.L

See the attached image for an example: a plain photo vs. the results from Scanner Pro (light level was a little low, so the image quality isn't too great). Besides correcting some distortion, the app also makes it easy to "scan in" a whole chapter from a book into one PDF.

image.jpeg

As for other apps, I've tried Scanbot, and was impressed by its slick interface, but for me, Scanner Pro is more flexible, as you can pick different document types and adjust the brightness and contrast.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, I've tried the "free" apps. Scanner Pro is better. Auto corrects distortion, converts to PDF, and even does OCR. Very reliable. If you need to send PDFs of documents to someone taken from hard copy, this one is great.

17. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

I love you guys for pointing this out to me.

Seriously.

In my quest to go as paperless as possible in life, you guys have given me a godsend. <3

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Honestly, I'd start by reading the description of what the app can do. That will actually answer all of your questions.

If taking a picture of the document suits your needs, then keep doing that!

19. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

It's a great app and I use it all the time instead of messing with my scanner. Use it to take a pic of a document and it corrects for shadows and distortion and you can save as PDF.

20. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It's funny how people will buy a $600 - $1k+ device and not want to buy $5 apps. This is a general comment and not pointed towards the OP.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I know right? And at the end of the day, its the apps that make the iPad what it is.

22. David58117 macrumors 65816

Scanner pro is awesome, I've used it for years now.

I take pics of documents with my iPhone, upload it to Dropbox, and download wherever I need to.

It's much better than just taking photos with the camera, as its strings the pages together and turns it into a pdf automatically.

It also cuts out extraneous details around the page, and crops it out. It also automatically focuses and takes the pictures, once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick.

23. JD2015 macrumors 6502

I agree. Is also a reason I think sometimes developers sometime shy away from IOS compared to OSX due to people less inclined to spend money. The best apps cost money especially if you want regular updates and good customer service.

24. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Still no compelling reason to have this APP but since it is APPLE advertised open to explore, can you guys give me a Real Life example on when would someone need this and how would he use it ?

25. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

If you can't think of any real life examples in which you may use it, then you may not really need it.