Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tafkaeken

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
That you don't care make zero difference. I'm not shocked you don't care about, or understand the realities of the situation.

We're long past the days when people could fix their tube-based TV sets. And Apple has hardly lead the way. Consumer electronics today is crammed full of fine-pitch surface mount components. A tiny percentage of even hobbyists are capable of reliably replacing surface mount parts on a board. And that's why you won't find any TV manufacturers today selling one-off component parts to individuals. And that third-party shops are required to work with board-level replacements. What a nightmare that would be creating the infrastructure to deal with selling individual replacement parts to hobbyists. And a huge money loser. There's a reason no consumer electronics companies work that way.

Don't like the situation? Find a company that bows to your wishes, reward them with your business and currency, and find happiness. Easy.

So the arguments for is 1. It’s doesn’t make sense economically for Apple to repair or hold stocks in small component and the world has moved on. 2. Everyone else does this.

The first point is just weird. For a start this doesn’t need to be apples job, what we need is just for them to stop actively putting up hurdles for independent shops. Let thrn keep stock on batteries and screens, let them sell of branded batteries when Apple stop its on production and don’t limit the suppliers to sell individual components to does who want to have them. Let them still be authorised service point while doing the things over for out of warranty customers. I admit that this is a small part of the customers who wants this right now but the cost for Apple for doing this is minimal(if you don’t count the loss of sale year 3-4 instead of one year 5-6). My point is that there is market here, which it might not be for a huawei phone or a Samsung laptop, and that Apple should let others in in to that market if they don’t want it. I am pretty confident that this what an competition case against Apple will result in as well.

As for he second one, why can’t I try to get Apple change for the better? I really like their products and has used them for twenty years. It has become harder and harder to change batteries even nothing much has changed. I really like that Apple takes stands on social issues and environmental. No I would like them to stop things that is really hurting in that regard.They are not Huawei and their customers deserve better.

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
That would be great if it were actually true. Unfortunately this repair program is so full of ridiculous conditions and gotchas that it is completely and utterly useless. It's just a con to convince the regulators that they have done something good when they haven't.
Yep. Anyone who has done any research on this besides looking at apples PR stunt articles, they would know that this is all just a smoke screen.

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
You should be able to repair your own out of warranty device, planned obsolescence is wrong on so many levels. All information and parts should be available. One solution should be a reasonable trade up value on an older device.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Interesting to note that independent can only repair out of warranty devices. I bet stockholders don't like this move as now consumers can opt to repair their devices for a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Before, it was that they would take it to Apple's Genius Bar and they would somehow convince the customer that it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one than to repair their old one.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Interesting to note that independent can only repair out of warranty devices. I bet stockholders don't like this move as now consumers can opt to repair their devices for a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Before, it was that they would take it to Apple's Genius Bar and they would somehow convince the customer that it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one than to repair their old one.

That is possible now by going to independent service centers that use non-Apple parts, which are almost certainly cheaper than the Apple OEM parts this program requires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.