Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple should have kept Persona's from the retail release, even the Beta ones. As they are now, they're the perfect candidate for internet memes - the rather unflattering kind of internet memes. That's not going to go well in the VP's favour, no matter how good its other features are. For many, it'll be their first impression of the VP, and you know what they say... you only get one chance to make a first impression!
They made the mistake to promise it last June. Maybe they thought they'd be able to improve it more until release.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The persona scans seem to make people look they’re an NPC in a PS3 game. But Dans has the extra delight of making him look like the Axioms Captain in WALL.E ;)

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Does Apple not give you the option to use a Memoji? Seems like that would be an easy cross over.
I can see this being something amazing right out of the box and for the novelty of watching a movie on your ceiling. But I also see this ending up on a shelf gathering dust in a few months.

I kind of assumed they did this to avoid doing something similar to the Meta Quest,

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The marks on your face from wearing it look painful. I don't see how that is going to be comfortable for long stretches.
I predict a lot of drawer time for many of these AVPs. At least when it comes to the first generation AVP, it will be like a pair of high heels if you’re a woman, you only take them out occasionally because you know they’re uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
Who in here cares about persona and avatars?
I think apple may be on the wrong path.
I honestly do not care about this
They could loose the eye and mouth cameras if the device have such and also the front screen 100%

I want comfort of light weight headset, steam vr/pc support, controllers support, fair price.
3rd party headstraps and maybe with room to place battery in the back for balance. Own powerbank use.

Honestly at this moment I would rather own a quest 3 even if prices were the same 500$
Quest 3 even has better field of view.

Even the nreal and similar screen glasses looks more comfortable and ease of use than apple vision pro.

I am a huge fan of MR but it seems apple are making the same mistake as Sucker made with quest avatars.

Lightweight MR/VR headset at a fair price is the way.

Reactions: arkitect

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think people are overreacting. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But is it by far the best lifelike avatar on the market? Absolutely. And it's doing it all in real time with a full AVP on your face. From a technological standpoint it is incredible. It will improve over time and I look forward to seeing those improvements... But just... WOW
Completely agree with you here. Not sure what everyone is expecting.

It’s VR and this is a VR representation of yourself. It ain’t real and neither is the persona.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Make sure your hair is not covering your face.

Some people may have a hard time with that one....

cousin it.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kuckuckstein

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
The persona scans seem to make people look they’re an NPC in a PS3 game. But Dans has the extra delight of making him look like the Axioms Captain in WALL.E ;)
You mean “more” like the Axiom’s captain.

Reactions: iZac

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I thought the technology to 3d scan and display people was much farther along than this. It reminds me of game graphics 20 years ago when they looked like pictures of faces pasted onto low count polygons. Seriously, what's the draw of seeing someone in 3d? I'm much rather just see a real time video feed of them on a screen, even if that's inside of the VP. At least until the avatars actually look realistic, and actually provide a purpose like maybe being able to view/manipulate a 3d object together.

Poly.jpg

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Going through the list of dos and don’t, I think one could twist their persona into something horrifically funny without too much trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: arkitect

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
I think people are overreacting. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But is it by far the best lifelike avatar on the market? Absolutely. And it's doing it all in real time with a full AVP on your face. From a technological standpoint it is incredible. It will improve over time and I look forward to seeing those improvements... But just... WOW
I couldn't agree with you more. The facial detail was pretty remarkable, although I have prominent eyebrows and it did make me look a little bit angry, haha. For it's first iteration and release of such a complicated device, I think Apple did a marvelous job. I'm impressed and happy with the product.

Eminemme

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Another biased review ! This product is a joke ! It’s not clear what the user base is for this ?

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
It's a digital persona. Not a photorealistic render. And it's better to have a digital persona than photorealism in this use case.
It's the best we've seen so far from any tech company. Even digital video game characters created by scanning real people doesn't match. And Apple is doing this with a scan that takes less than a minute. And it's still in beta.
If anything this is one of the most impressive feats of AVP.

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
It's a digital persona. Not a photorealistic render. And it's better to have a digital persona than photorealism in this use case.
It's the best we've seen so far from any tech company. Even digital video game characters created by scanning real people doesn't match. And Apple is doing this with a scan that takes less than a minute. And it's still in beta.
If anything this is one of the most impressive feats of AVP.
Seriously interested in the why. Can you share your “user story” for using this in a teams call over the usual setup? Webcam, dual monitor should be standard by now

Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.