Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, we shared a blue-light reduction app called FlexBright, which worked similarly to Apple's own Night Shift mode. Apple initially approved the app, which was able to adjust the screen temperature for the entire iPhone, but after it garnered attention following our post, Apple pulled it from the App Store.

FlexBright developer Sam Al-Jamal told MacRumors he had worked with Apple through several app rejections to get FlexBright into the App Store and that no private APIs were in use, something that was seemingly confirmed by the app's approval, but further review from Apple led to FlexBright's removal. Al-Jamal has shared Apple's explanation with MacRumors following an "exhausting discussion" with the Cupertino company. "The bottomline is [Apple] won't allow apps to change screen colors," he said.

compare-800x420-2-800x420.jpg
The FlexBright app adjusted the temperature of the screen to make it more yellow, like Night Shift in iOS 9.3​

Al-Jamal was given two technical reasons behind FlexBright's removal from the App Store. First, the app was using custom-created classes based on non-public APIs.
I recreated three classes based on non-public APIs. Even though these are custom classes that I created, but essentially they're using the same methods as in their non-public APIs.
Second, the app was using silent audio to keep FlexBright running in the background, a frowned-upon tactic that can result in battery drain. Late last year, the Facebook app for iOS was using excessive battery life, something caused in part by a silent audio component.

FlexBright masked the silent audio with a music player to "justify the background music activity," something that Apple approved twice even though the music playing function doesn't appear to work.
We labeled it as a new feature to "rest/close your eyes for few minutes and listen to some music". Now Apple says this is not the intended purpose of the app and they won't allow this approach.
Apple asked Al-Jamal to remove the blue light filter to get FlexBright back on the App Store, but he declined so that users who have already purchased the app can keep the feature. "For all intended purposes, FlexBright is dead," he said. He does plan to go on to make a new app that will detect eye fatigue based on screen brightness and time spent on an iOS device.

The developer behind FlexBright was using some questionable features to get the app to function, but its ability to slip past the App Store review process even through multiple rejections again puts a spotlight on Apple's inconsistencies and failures when it comes to reviewing apps. MacStories recently shared an in-depth look at the App Store review process, highlighting the problems and frustrations developers face, which rightly points out that the current review process is "harming the quality of apps on the App Store."

Article Link: Apple Pulls 'FlexBright', Says iOS Apps That Adjust Display Temperature Aren't Allowed

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i have no problem with this. i can only imagine the mess it would cause with the average user dealing with third party apps and the troubleshooting nightmare it would cause, especially on the eve of the feature being implemented in iOS 9.3...

imagine the average user complaining that their pictures look yellow or different and associating it with the camera or their screen and apple not being able to assume in any measure the fault of any one given app

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Apple is so full of itself when it does stuff like this. I hate to say this but I'm really glad that Microsoft is finally giving them a run for their money in the desktop and laptop space. Now with something like the Galaxy S7 from Samsung which has force touch and animated photos. Honestly Apple needs to mellow out a bit and let their app ecosystem flourish.

- Clarification - Force touch did not make it into the S7 or S7 Edge, though it is being tested for use in a future handset from Samsung.

Last edited:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Apple is so full of itself when it does stuff like this. I hate to say this but I'm really glad that Microsoft is finally giving them a run for their money in the desktop and laptop space. Now with something like the Galaxy S7 from Samsung which has force touch and animated photos. Honestly Apple needs to mellow out a bit and let their app ecosystem flourish.

You sure about this? None of the reviews mentioned it.

Splatt123

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2016
I installed this yesterday. While it does work (at least it globally changes the screen temperature), looking at the Battery usage in settings, it's taken 53%, listed as "Background Activity".

Probably best to wait for NightShift but I don't like the fact that Apple have stopped Low Power Mode when NightShift enabled. I suppose they were trying for a work-around and this isn't it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Has the developer's claim with respect to what Apple had said at earlier stages actually been confirmed? People can say anything about Apple, the company will rarely comment anyway, even if it is an outright lie. I doubt that Apple would have ever been sympathetic to this kind of app, given that it is always going to be based on private APIs, which is a no-go for Apple.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
i have no problem with this. i can only imagine the mess it would cause with the average user dealing with third party apps and the troubleshooting nightmare it would cause, especially on the eve of the feature being implemented in iOS 9.3...

Makes you wonder, if someone installs 9.3 and has this app, would the color temperature be adjusted twice as much as it should?

Reactions: sd70mac

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
It is annoying for the many people who have no device that supports Night Shift (and there are plenty of those), but the app looked dodgy, and awkward. I hope Apple will eventually make a Night Shift version for the Mac.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Good. Apple has strict approval policies to maintain a certain quality of apps.

Of which Flexbright was not.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Honestly Apple needs to mellow out a bit and let their app ecosystem flourish.

Yeah ok.... Like apple doesn't already have the best AppStore. I'd say flourishing is exactly what it is doing.
[doublepost=1457557621][/doublepost]
I don't think so. A third party music app does not reduce volume twice that of Apple's own system volume.
Those. Are completely different things.

d656

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2015
What shocks me is that it was approved in the first place. This is like the Instagram password theft app a while back.

Reactions: ReneR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.