Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrushRoller

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
The quality of the MacOS software has taken a nose dive the last years. Especially with Catalina we have nothing but constant problems with many Macs in a business environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
If you have any questions about both the Re-Released 2020-005 Security update and the new 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, I have answers for you!

This is my follow-up article. I tried to test every install scenario that I could think of. Let me know if I've missed one.

Great - thanks a lot!

Just one question: I'm in (your) scenario #1 (Only updated to Safari 14.0), but the security update 2020-005 offered is 2.09GB, not the 1.19GB you mention - still OK to download (together with the MacOS Supplemental Update)?

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 10.42.34.png

Reactions: MrMacintoshBlog

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
for the macpro5,1 crowd, there is always this:

personally i am a mojave person... and will stay there as long as possible. i had applied this update to 2 machines but not my other two. don't use either machine that much so can't say if i've had problems with the security update.
Clover EFI is much easier to configure for those older macs. Clover has been around forever, so its very mature.

have you guys installed the supplemental update in your MacPro5,1.
Mine is stuck for half an hour now since pressing the update button.

Edit: it's up again ?
Since my RX580 doesn't provide a boot screen with dual display setup I just had a black screen.
I just touched the power button for a split second and the Mac lost power immediately.
Then I could power it up as usual. First boot was without a chime though.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It looks like the "macOS Supplemental Update" is a replacement of the Safari 14 update for Mojave, plus some tweaks....it should be available as a manual download from support.apple.com/downloads at some point

Doubt that will happen.

But you can get the new Safari 14.0 for Mojave (otherwise known as the new Mojave Supplemental Update) here:

There are no more tweaks. It's just Safari.

• Love
Reactions: camelia

Minimum91

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Riga, Latvia
I currently have Mojave 10.14.6 (sec update 2020-004) and Safari 13.1.2 on my 2010 Mac Pro installed.
The questions is if I install Sec update 2020-005 with the supplemental Update, will I automatically get Safari 14?
And if there is a way to install the Security update without installing Safari 14.0 which I don't want for reasons of UI degradation.

Last edited:

apples_arrogance

macrumors member
May 21, 2020
Have others experienced trouble on High Sierra after installing 2020-005 supplement update? The past week has been the worst with one kernel panic after the other resulting in random reboots, endless recovery attempts, single login working, back to kernel panic. Not sure how to get out of this loop. Will try to login via recovery and install the updated supplement update I guess.
Reinstalling 2020-005 from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2053 resolves the issues. I am so glad, this madness is over. What a terrible week this was.

makitango

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
The last Mojave Security update caused me to being unable to access newly created users. Their names were blocked from repetitive creation, but there was no user folder and no user menu.

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
It would be nice if they could push out an update to Safari for Catalina. I've had to switch to Firefox. Safari 14 has caused so many issues for me on Catalina. It eats up CPU like there's no tomorrow. Youtube is completely unusable.

This has been the opposite of my experience.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
But we're told that everything Apple does is perfect and while we're in their ecosystem, we just have to love it as well. I just love waking up each morning and having my tabs displaying nothing but a message saying the tab was reloaded because it was using significant energy. That's and playing with the beachball is the best part of my day.

Reactions: Digital Dude

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I currently have Mojave 10.14.6 (sec update 2020-004) and Safari 13.1.2 on my 2010 Mac Pro installed.
The questions is if I install Sec update 2020-005 with the supplemental Update, will I automatically get Safari 14?

The supplemental update is just the new version of Safari 4.0.

I cleaned up this mess buy doing the following (may seem overkill, but given the circumstances I decided to)

Backup

Install the full installer for 10.14.6 effectively downgrading before any security updates. This also downgraded Safari.

Backup

Install security update 2020-004

Backup

Install the newer version of security update 2020-005 - which did not update safari

Backup

Install the supplemental update which installed the new version of Safari 4.0

Backup.

So I’m back on the same system as before but without the problems associated wth the old versions of security update 2020-005 and the old Safari 4.0.

I don’t think you need to be quite as thorough as that, but I wanted backups of each of them separately in case I needed to downgrade again via time machine backup.

• Love

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
MAS issue? I have one too: third party apps refuses to update since about two weeks. Is it the same for you?

Patrice
Now fixed for me. What I did:
Quit App Store
Open Terminal
Copy/paste in open $TMPDIR/../C/com.Apple.appstore/ after $
Hit Enter
This should open a Finder window, with the folder com.Apple.appstore highlighted
Delete its contents
Open App Store and run updates
This worked on 3 different Mojave Macs.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
I'm also in the "to use Photoshop CS6" group. I absolutely WILL NOT buy subscriptions to software.

Five years ago I started to transition to Afinity Suite and I am quite happy with it. The only App from the CS6 Suite I regularly use is Adobe Acrobat Pro and it sadly is 32bit.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
And if there is a way to install the Security update without installing Safari 14.0 which I don't want for reasons of UI degradation.
YES, this is what I tried to call out but might need to make it more clear. You can Instal the 2020-005 security update without the Supplemental Update (Safari 14) and be fine.

• Love

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
But we're told that everything Apple does is perfect and while we're in their ecosystem, we just have to love it as well. I just love waking up each morning and having my tabs displaying nothing but a message saying the tab was reloaded because it was using significant energy. That's and playing with the beachball is the best part of my day.

With 37-years of using Apple products, I can attest that they have never been perfect. However, there was a time when their standards were higher, and the contrast between the competition was significant.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.