Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechWhore

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
Good Reporting

Although the name of this site is MacRumors, I am always pleased with the amount of actual investigative reporting, and quoting of sources on this site.

I personally come here daily and 9to5mac.com, because of superb reporting. Thank you and keep it up.

Ps there were previous reports referring to it as the slate, can't remember where I saw it, I believe this news adds more credence to it.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
MacSlate's not too bad, but that would imply Mac. Chances are, it'll be more related to the iPhone than a Mac.

Names all sound stupid, but once you get used to it, you don't give a damn. Wii, XBox360, MacBook, MacBook Air, iPod were probably all laughed at.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
MacSlate's not too bad, but that would imply Mac. Chances are, it'll be more related to the iPhone than a Mac.

Names all sound stupid, but once you get used to it, you don't give a damn. Wii, XBox360, MacBook, MacBook Air, iPod were probably all laughed at.

Oh God, I remember when "Wii" was announced. We all called it the "Revolution" before that. To quote Matt at IGN to....I think it was Perrin Kaplan (sp) "We are now called 'IGN Wii.' How could you do this to us?"

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008

With the exception of the Wii I don't really have a problem. iPhone was the perfect name for the device. I do wish that Jobs would have kept the Powerbook name. It was the only good thing to come out of the Scully & etc. era. PowerBook Air sounds much better.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Doubtful that this is the name. Normally these things would redirect to their home page but it does nothing.

This is something that wouldn't be activated until after the press conference. I don't think Apple did this with the iPhone or MobileMe.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Doubtful that this is the name. Normally these things would redirect to their home page but it does nothing.

FFS man, if Apple went to the lengths of having a separate company purchase the domain, it isn't going to redirect to apple.com.

lightpeak

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
BC, Canada
How about because it sounds like something Fred Flintstone would use????

"Yabba Dabba Doo! Did ya hear, Barney? The new iSlate is coming out soon. I'm gonna go to Mr. Slate's office so I can ask him for a raise so I could buy one. They just don't pay a guy enough rocks these days."

Seshan

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
This means nothing. EA owns domains for Battlefield all the way up to battlefield9.com, does that mean there will be battlefield 9 or that it will be called that? No, they are just registering it for a "just in case" purpose. I'm sure if we saw all the domains Apple owns, there would be some weird ones in there.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

If it is the domain, then it wouldn't point to anything until it's announced. That's how it's been in the past. iPod.com didn't point to Apple's site until the day of its launch.

arn

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Ps there were previous reports referring to it as the slate, can't remember where I saw it, I believe this news adds more credence to it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/26/new-york-times-editor-refers-to-impending-apple-slate/

A report from Gawker about recent comments by The New York Times executive editor Bill Keller regarding Apple's tablet project has been gaining a significant amount of attention today. While Apple's tablet has been rumored for several years and evidence has continued to mount that a release is likely in the relatively near future, public comments from those likely to have inside knowledge of the device have understandably been scarce.

Keller's brief comment came at an October 16th "all hands" meeting for the newspaper's digital staff at which Keller detailed a number of issues the paper is focusing on in the next few months. Among the issues mentioned by Keller was delivery of content to mobile devices, including the "impending Apple slate".

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This means nothing. EA owns domains for Battlefield all the way up to battlefield9.com, does that mean there will be battlefield 9 or that it will be called that? No, they are just registering it for a "just in case" purpose. I'm sure if we saw all the domains Apple owns, there would be some weird ones in there.

While I agree the domain doesn't prove usage. The difference here is that Apple didn't just pick up "islate.com" for $10/year. They actually went through the trouble of negotiating with a 3rd party.

arn

ashoka8350

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Well, I know opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one lol, but here's mine.

iDon't like it. MacTab or MacAnything would be a better option in my opinion. Then again, I also didn't like the rudimentary "iPhone" when it was announced. For a device that is more than a "phone", I thought iMobile would have been better.

Mac-Tablet sounds pretty good to me

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
This sounds almost similar to when the rumor that the next Apple Laptop would be called the MacBook Air. People laughed at the idea left and right, called the name stupid, and said that the whole "mac" moniker was overused. Arn bought the MacBookAir.com domain the night before and then transferred it to Apple the next day when it was announced. Sounds like Apple has been thinking about the slate ever since the iPhone was released.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
the next google

I think that it will be ok. Remember when you first heard of google? Or the Wii? You thought seriously wii? I think iSlate will become so natural like iPhone and iPod that you will think nothing of it.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

this will be announced along with a sneak preview at iphoneOS 4.0 which will then of course be renamed to something else since it will be used on the iphone and this device. Along with a much improved user interface it will bring resolution independance so that it can run on the original iphones, the new iphone HD and the slate all seamlessly. Rather than page after page of icons the OS will be more reminiscent of OS X and so even though it won't be nearly as powerful the OS will be something that people can live with (which can't be said for page after page of icons on a tablet). Apple can't put full os x on it because even though it will likely use a 1ghz dual core arm processor it wont be powerful enough for to provide lag free media content and multitasking without being stripped down a bit. That said the OS will also have multitasking ability for certain handsets of the iphone, likely the 3GS will be able to multitask a few apps, the 3g and lower will be restricted to only one app running at a time and the new handset will allow many more apps simultaneously

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
This sounds almost similar to when the rumor that the next Apple Laptop would be called the MacBook Air. People laughed at the idea left and right, called the name stupid, and said that the whole "mac" moniker was overused. Arn bought the MacBookAir.com domain the night before and then transferred it to Apple the next day when it was announced. Sounds like Apple has been thinking about the slate ever since the iPhone was released.

Is that true arn? If so, you the man. I still got you in Eliminate so I'll take that meager victory.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Does anybody feel like sleeping for the next several weeks till Jan 26th, just to skip all the hourly news of the tablet?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
While I agree the domain doesn't prove usage. The difference here is that Apple didn't just pick up "islate.com" for $10/year. They actually went through the trouble of negotiating with a 3rd party.

arn

That is even more evidence that they don't intend to do anything for it. To protect their line of iXXXX product trademarks they need to make sure no one else is using marks starting with "i."

MacDaddy901

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2008
If it is the domain, then it wouldn't point to anything until it's announced. That's how it's been in the past. iPod.com didn't point to Apple's site until the day of its launch.

arn

That's what I'm guessing it will be. I'd be willing to be that's its name is the Apple Slate. Which I really like. It sound modern, fresh, and sophisticated.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That is even more evidence that they don't intend to do anything for it. To protect their line of iXXXX product trademarks they need to make sure no one else is using marks starting with "i."

Apple can't own every "i*" name, and doesn't automatically have rights to all i* names.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.