Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently acquired augmented reality startup Metaio, reports TechCrunch. According to the company's website, Metaio is a "pioneer in augmented reality and computer vision" that built the Metaio Creator, an augmented reality authoring tool. With the Creator, users could create augmented reality scenarios "within minutes."

Metaio has stopped taking new customers and a shareholder document concerning the transferring of shares has confirmed that it was purchased by Apple. Apple also provided TechCrunch with its standard acquisition confirmation statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Metaio's augmented reality tools have been used by several companies to create interactive experiences. Ferarri, for example, created an augmented reality showroom with Metaio, and it's been used in Berlin with historical footage to let travelers see what the scene they're viewing would have looked like when the Berlin Wall was still in place.

It is not clear how Apple plans to use Metaio's technology, but there have been persistent rumors indicating Apple is interested in virtual reality and augmented reality. Based on patents, Apple has explored a video headset, a motion-sensing virtual 3D interface for iOS devices, and 3D "hyper-reality" displays.

It's possible that Apple could use Metaio's AR creation tools to introduce unique features to Maps and other apps. A 2014 rumor suggested Apple was considering adding augmented reality features to Maps, and a more recent rumor points towards Apple's work on a "Browse Around Me" feature for iOS 9 that includes an augmented reality view.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple has a small team working on augmented reality projects at its Cupertino headquarters, but it remains unclear exactly when we'll see Apple incorporating AR and VR features into its products.

Article Link: Apple Purchases Augmented Reality Startup Metaio

Reactions: rorschach

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
exciting development, though i worry apple scooping up a firm like this will limit the potential of their technology. but of course, apple's cash reserves would open up doors. just hope apple embraces and brings in some "revolutionary" and "magical experiences" in the near future!

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
augmented reality is clumsy and unintuitive with current hardware. if apple intends to engage AR, they'll have to come up with some clever hardware solutions

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Facebook, Apple sees your Oculus Rift and raises you a Metaio.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe this is part of the "blue sky" stuff the new Chief Design Officer will be working on. :p

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Microsoft doesn't own oculus rift, Facebook does.
Also, Virtual reality is not even the same as augmented reality. Two very different technologies for 2 different needs.

You only half corrected him/her, as of course Microsoft *does* have an augmented reality device (the HoloLens).

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
Apple will reinvent augmented reality in 2018 when they launch Apple Eyewear.

This is the first step

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Perfect on the ground compliment for Flyover.

I could even see where it would allow people to do their own VR or crowd sourced VR.

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I like the narrator's voice in the video. Gave me tingles.

Like virtual reality, augmented reality is yet another gimmick that will go nowhere. Sorry, folks.

I'll bet you've never tried Oculus Rift? I don't know a single person who has used a modern VR headset and called it a gimmick. Not ready for primetime, needs content, needs ironing out - sure. But no one with first-hand experience calls it a gimmick. With respect, I think in 1-3 years your comment will be tossed in the bin with "no one will buy a smartphone without a keyboard" :p

----------

Near term: Walking directions guided by floating arrows, colored sidewalks, etc. Long term: projected onto the windshield for your Apple Car!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Near term: Walking directions guided by floating arrows, colored sidewalks, etc. Long term: projected onto the windshield for your Apple Car!
Astute and possibly accurate prediction of where this technology will be applied long term at Apple.

Remember that lots of technologies are developed within Apple for many possible and not even thought up yet usage. Force Touch is probably the best example of this as it was two technologies (pressure sensitive touch and what's now known as taptic feedback) developed independently since before the watch and now deployed simultaneously in that product and in the new touch pads. It's a tech that's useful on the watch, great on a track pad and that will really shine on a touch screen.

I foresee that this type of tech will be absorbed into their tech stack and further developed into as many varied solutions in products over the next half decade or so.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Other company, Apple sees your fake reality thing and raises you their fake reality thing.

You might say things are getting... unreal.

nijmegen96

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Wow! An augmented Berlin wall would be really cool on something like the Hololens. No need to hold a tablet out in front of you. I new augmented reality would be cool, but I hadn't really thought about any educational uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.